Android Client Hang After IP/Network Change

hella0915
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

hella0915

Terramaster TOS 6.0.229-00147 (Beta)

Emby Server 4.8.6.0

Emby for Android 3.3.86

Just wondering if this known and/or if there is something that can be done to improve it.

For example: I am connected to home WiFi then connection switches to mobile data (5G).

Emby seems to take 20-30 seconds before it validates or recognizes the IP/Network change from the client to the server, during this time the app is unresponsive.

Is this normal, or should the transitions between networks be instant and seamless?

Thanks a lot for your time.

HI, yes it takes time for connections to time out and for the app to automatically switch.

• Like 1

hella0915

Appreciate.

Anyway I can manipulate/improve this switching time?

Its not so bad to plan ahead and switch networks ahead of time when you know your leaving, but it can be a bit annoying when you share with friends/family.

• Solution

This is something we are constantly working on. When requests to the server fail, then we catch that and try to reconnect with all available addresses to figure out if you're on the LAN or WAN.

The latter part of that is very fast. It's the first part that accounts for 95% of the time, which is that when requests fail. sometimes you have to wait for a full 20 second time out.

• Like 1

hella0915

Excellent. Thanks for clarifying on the why so I can put it to rest. 😂

Good to know its not an issue with my setup.

For kicks, I installed the OpenVPN client on my phone yesterday so I can always appear "local", its been flawless since.

When the network switch occurs the VPN connection refreshes almost instantly, it must be fast enough to where the server doesn't have to spend the time doing the WAN / LAN validation.

Makes sense according to your comments.

Would it be feasible to offer the server admin the option to disable validating LAN /WAN in order to enhance network performance?

🤷‍♂️

Appreciate your support sir.

Would it be feasible to offer the server admin the option to disable validating LAN /WAN in order to enhance network performance?

Yes an option is possible but if you're always appearing local now then it's never going to switch anyway, and therefore shouldn't happen.

• Thanks 1

hella0915

I guess my mind was thinking if there was an option to disable this LAN/WAN/IP check at per device level it could possibly suppress the network hanging issue for users that are changing networks regularly. (WiFi to mobile, mobile to WiFi, IP changes)

My wife and I both use the android auto playback daily, it would be a nice quality of life improvement to have a "checkbox" or something to get around it.

OpenVPN is a good improvement, but it's extra setup and extra software bloat.... 

Loving emby either way, appreciate all the efforts behind it.

Hi, it wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference because as I mentioned before, that is the fast part. It’s the part that comes before that is slower.