Downgrade from Beta to Stable - lost library

Mantis64
Go to solution Solved by sa2000,

Mantis64

Hi, please can you help.  

I installed a beta version in error, I then tried to install the stable version but could not 'downgrade'.

I looked on the forums and it seemed to indicate that I needed to uninstall the beta version and install the stable version.  So I proceeded to do that.  

Now my libraries do not show, all users and settings remain but nothing in the library.  I tried to restore from backup in backup and restore, but the same issue remains, I have no library.  

Please can you help me get everything back, 

Thanks in advance.  

• Solution
sa2000
1 hour ago, Mantis64 said:

looked on the forums and it seemed to indicate that I needed to uninstall the beta version and install the stable version.  So I proceeded to do that

That is not sufficient - the database for betas is not adjusted to work with the public release when downgrading

I am afraid you have to start with a new server setup or stay with the betas. The database schema updates are only in place for upgrades 

See this post by @luke  

Mantis64

This is really disappointing.  

So are you saying that if I reinstall the beta everything should be back up?  If so will I never be able to go back on the stable release?

FrostByte
23 minutes ago, Mantis64 said:

This is really disappointing.  

So are you saying that if I reinstall the beta everything should be back up?  If so will I never be able to go back on the stable release?

Once there has been any db changes in beta then the least destructive time to fall back would be when beta goes stable.  At that time just don't load any more betas.  That could be a while though.

Mantis64
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies.  Really quite annoyed with myself about this. 

I installed the beta and yes my library is back now. 

Hopefully this post will help others avoid doing what I did.  

It's crazy that there is no way to go back onto the stable version without starting from scratch.  

I'll just have to wait who knows how long!  

Stable currently at 4.8.6.0 and Beta at 4.9.0.17

So do I wait till stable goes to 4.9.X? or do I need to wait till stable  goes beyond 4.9.0.17?

Edited by Mantis64

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Mantis64 said:

So do I wait till stable goes to 4.9.X? or do I need to wait till stable  goes beyond 4.9.0.17?

The first one.  Once the 4.9.x branch reaches a certain point which devs want to finish it up it then becomes the latest stable.  At that point 4.8.x will be old and may no longer be updated.  The next round of beta then will presumably be 4.10.  That's where you get off the beta and just stay with 4.9.  Unless you decide beforehand to follow what sa2000 posted that is.

• Like 1

HI, when 4.9 goes stable ,then at that point you'll be able to switch from the beta channel back to the stable channel.

• Like 1