Can't cast to chromecast

budokaiman
Go to solution Solved by budokaiman,

budokaiman

Not sure if this is the best section for this, but here goes:

Trying to cast emby from the android app to chromecast, but it just doesn't seem to work. I'm able to cast to a sony tv with chromecast built in (and the full android tv system on it) without issue. I have two other tvs that are just using a chromecast dongle (one gen 3 and one is modern) and the emby logo appears, but no backdrop image appears. When trying to cast a video and there's no backdrop, I always get a spinning circle on the tv and the video never plays. I have very rarely been lucky in getting it to play, when I do, I do notice it's right after the backdrop loads. Usually, if it does load I only get to watch one video as the next will fail to play.

I'm on the latest emby server and app version, I've tried factory resetting the chromecast twice.

On 5/7/2024 at 8:33 PM, budokaiman said:

OK so this is what I was expecting. It looks like the emby android app can reach your chromecast receiver, but your chromecast receiver can't reach your emby server.

Are you using a reverse proxy with https? It could be rejecting your certificate.

• Thanks 1

budokaiman
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you using a reverse proxy with https? It could be rejecting your certificate.

Yes, I am indeed doing that. I assume you mean the chromecast is rejecting the cert. I do see that my cert renewed the 30th, so the timeline makes sense. The one thing that this wouldn't explain is why it occasionally works (very rarely, but once in a while it does seem to connect just fine). Don't suppose you may have some solution if you've seen this before (I'll try digging around myself as well).

budokaiman

Could this possibly be related to

• Solution
budokaiman

So I just requested a site review, as well as generated a new SSL cert. It seems to be working without issue now. That was a great deduction on the cert, thanks!

• Thanks 1