Sony X90L and TrueHD 7.1 Audio

DoBoY1
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

DoBoY1

I am asking for some insight as I think I have the answer but would like confirmation  from the experts. My Sony X90L is connected through eARC to my receiver but Emby app does not pass TrueHD 7.1, it always just plays as stereo. it DOES pass standards 5.1 but none of the lossless formats. I have read that internal apps on TV's don't usually support Lossless audio formats (such as DTS-MA and TureHD .. and the such) . But Netflix app on the TV DOES send 7.1 through when playing 4k content. 

So I am little confused but expect t be told that SONY doe snot pay for lossless audio decoding but somehow the internal netflix, prime .. and such do ?

• Solution
rbjtech
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DoBoY1 said:

I am asking for some insight as I think I have the answer but would like confirmation  from the experts. My Sony X90L is connected through eARC to my receiver but Emby app does not pass TrueHD 7.1, it always just plays as stereo. it DOES pass standards 5.1 but none of the lossless formats. I have read that internal apps on TV's don't usually support Lossless audio formats (such as DTS-MA and TureHD .. and the such) . But Netflix app on the TV DOES send 7.1 through when playing 4k content. 

So I am little confused but expect t be told that SONY doe snot pay for lossless audio decoding but somehow the internal netflix, prime .. and such do ?

They send Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (lossy) with optional 'JOC' Atmos) - this is not the same as True-HD (with real Atmos) or DTS-HD / DTS:X (both lossless).  No mainstream streaming service uses losssless audio.

Having said that, the THD from emby should not be passed as Stereo - it should be encoded to AC3 (5.1) - but if you want the best available sound and want lossless/Atmos/DTS-X etc - then you need to not use the TV as the client - and use something like an Nvidia Shield Pro directly into your AVR via HDMI. (passing the 4K Video to your TV).  

See below (uses an LG TV as an example, but same rules apply)

https://emby.media/support/articles/LG-Why-not-Atmos.html

JOC Atmos - https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s/article/What-is-Dolby-Digital-Plus-JOC-Joint-Object-Coding?language=en_US

Edited by rbjtech

DoBoY1
1 minute ago, Luke said:

@DoBoY1does this answer your question?

I would say so.. it's unfortunate but looks like I might have to spring for another Shield 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1