Diagnosing HW Transcoding issues.

cyris69

cyris69
Posted (edited)

So I've migrated my emby server to a better machine which I could finally install a P2200 in. I'm running ESXi 8.0.2 and the emby server is on a Windows 2022 Server VM. The GPU is passed through and drivers installed on the OS. The GPU works fine in the VM. 

When I play a 4k movie that is direct play but not the audio it still populates a newly created folder in the transcoding-temp folder with a m3u8 and .ts files. Web will show:

image.png.2b778e1de937f7bd4241436c05f2df46.png

So it's not using the GPU which is fine as it's not video.

However, if I try and change the stream to 1080p it will timeout. It will just keep creating and removing folders inside the temp then say there is no available stream.

You can see the Video Decode on the machine blips each time it tries this

image.png.2242b0898305f8467d174d789491defb.png

Emby Hardware encoding detects the GPU

image.png.1c7611ba0a60232b555e6416cafe842e.png

Logs for the transcode doesn't show any errors that I can tell

ffmpeg-transcode-2fa1e140-9b2f-4343-9ffe-7e3c2174ab73_1.txt

Edited by cyris69
removed image

Hello cyris69,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Lessaj
Posted (edited)

Did you enable hardware tone mapping?

Tone Mapping would be desired, but hardware tone mapping is disabled

Edited by Lessaj

cyris69
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lessaj said:

Did you enable hardware tone mapping?

I did not but just now did. Same results with the blips then no stream available. I disabled HW transcoding to make sure it wasn't a transcoding issue and CPU does it fine.

image.png.4bcb1bbe577160a686eb598390ef8adf.png

Edited by cyris69

Lessaj

Provide the server log and a fresh ffmpeg log.

cyris69

Decided to run it again to get a fresh log since I was messing around with other movies. This time it did around 10 blips then actually started. You can see the blips in the middle left of the screenshot then started working. Took at least a minute of sitting before starting to play.

Here are the logs anyways to see why there is such a delay and several attempts.
ffmpeg-transcode-0ac814c9-8cd2-4e1b-9230-6c0e5664f819_1.txt

embyserver.txt

image.png.15c1416fd57479f853a961a80086c5a0.png

Lessaj

Looks like each attempt to run the ffmpeg failed after 10 seconds but there's no indication in the server log for why, there might be more information in each of the ffmpeg logs since every attempt will create a new log.

• Like 1

cyris69

I see. We don't watch a lot of 4k media or have it transcoding as most get's direct played. Haven't taken down the old server so that emby is still going but wanted this all sorted out before forcing the switch for everyone.

cyris69

While I'm still messing with that issue. I have a slightly different one but isn't super important enough to warrant a new thread. So If I have my original server web interface up I can select Play On and then have a list of home and remote things I can cast to. I use this a lot to pick what I want to watch from my desktop and have it sent to play on my TV that has emby open. However, on the second newer server I see nothing even if emby on my TV is logged into the new server. It's an androidTV if that matters. I have both server port forwarded in my router the new one using the same port but +1 ex 8096 OG server 8097 new server.

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, cyris69 said:

While I'm still messing with that issue. I have a slightly different one but isn't super important enough to warrant a new thread. So If I have my original server web interface up I can select Play On and then have a list of home and remote things I can cast to. I use this a lot to pick what I want to watch from my desktop and have it sent to play on my TV that has emby open. However, on the second newer server I see nothing even if emby on my TV is logged into the new server. It's an androidTV if that matters. I have both server port forwarded in my router the new one using the same port but +1 ex 8096 OG server 8097 new server.

Are you user Remote Control options the same (user setup)?

cyris69
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Are you user Remote Control options the same (user setup)?

Yes, just checked. I used the backup/restore plugin to setup the new server and it copied over users and settings. I logged out of the otehr instance on my browser as well.

Edited by cyris69

cyris69

Tried logging into the server on a different browser and can cast to one another which is interesting but not the TVs that are logged in.

image.png.49dc9d6bb5738c8d472eff21986626c6.png

Happy2Play

OT:  Not entirely sure but would suggest discoverability issues.  But if clients are still able to connect I am out of ideas.

• Thanks 1

cyris69
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

discoverability issues

That was it. I guess not ALL settings transferred over. DLNA control was not enabled on the server.
image.png.f8fcfdebf0914f7bff1ed58d301af948.png

Edited by cyris69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

OT: Glad you figured it out as that is odd as the dlna.xml is part of the full backup.

• Thanks 2

cyris69

Oddly over DLNA the quality is worse and has a soap opera effect (faster FPS). It also shows a different status bar on the TV when you pause etc. I did have it show up for remote to TV like it used to and not over DLNA but that has since stopped working. Guess just something I have to live with now.