Roku Emby client API

xe`

xe`
Posted (edited)

Does the Emby client, when running on a Roku (Streaming Stick 4K if model matters), present an API for external control? I can see many references to a Roku (OS) API but my google foo is failing to find an Emby (client) one.

An example use case, on the off chance this is not the only way to come at this problem,  is that I will like to trigger an Emby client user profile change from the network.

Edited by xe`

If on the local network, our standard remote control/casting features should work but those do not include logging out or in at this time.

xe`
49 minutes ago, ebr said:

If on the local network, our standard remote control/casting features should work but those do not include logging out or in at this time.

Thanks for the information it saves me many hours of wasted effort.

Do you think it would be appropriate  to make a feature request for this?

What I am imagining is a simple NFC sticker at each TV which I could trigger a profile change simply with a users phone tap. Feels like a nice QoL thing for low cost and is easy to do if the API supported it.

14 minutes ago, xe` said:

Do you think it would be appropriate  to make a feature request for this?

Sure.  I could see being able to trigger the request to change and you'd probably need the actual userID and it would still have to flow through normal auth in the app.  So, it would just behave as if someone selected the new user from the switch user menu.

xe`

Each phone is user specific and could be set to trigger a tailored API call using the NFC tag ID to identify the specific TV and the phone owner for the userID. It would be quite bespoke since every phone would need a user specific setup but there are not that many people in my household and once setup it should work forever with much alternation if any.

The high level is a user could switch the tv to their profile just by waving their phone in front of it. There is an elegance and coolness to doing it this way but agree fundamentally its no different to doing it "long hand".

I agree.  That would be neat.  Kinda like my garage door opener that can open and close the door just by me driving up or away.