Compatibility of i9-14900K for Transcoding with Emby on Unraid?

Dydhzo
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

Dydhzo
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to use the i9-14900K for transcoding with Emby on Unraid. Does anyone have experience with this setup? Does it work smoothly, or are there any issues to be aware of? Additionally, would I encounter any complications with the i9-14900K, or is it better to consider an older generation like the i9-13900K or i9-12900K?

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice on both compatibility and the choice of CPU.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Dydhzo

HI, I would think that should work just fine.

tedfroop21
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dydhzo said:

I'm planning to use the i9-14900K for transcoding with Emby on Unraid.

I have an i9 13980HX in my Win11 laptop with integral UHD graphics.  It's not what I have Emby running on,  that's on a dedicated  i5 -6500 with Intel HD530 graphics running Ubuntu that does not struggle transcoding a single stream of any supported QSV video type,  it may do more - I just never needed to transcode more than one....

The 14th Gen  i9 should be miles better if it includes an Arc or Iris XE graphics card on chip.  (Although you need to check with @Luke about whether the exact model is supported)

Using QSV codecs in Handbrake mine rips Blu-Rays between about 400 and 800 frames a second depending on h264/h265.   Which compares to about 800fps (either codec) using NVENC and the discrete Nvidia 4090 laptop gpu.   Make MKV takes less than a minute to process the same blu-ray.

So you should be able to transcode a bunch of streams simultaneously with no issues with the i9,  yes.

Edited by tedfroop21
  • Thanks 1

ebps01

I have a computer with an I7 4790k processor, DDR3 1600MHZ 32GB RAM, gtx 1630 galax video card, running 30 users without transcoding, my files are mostly in Mp4 AAC audio, so there is no transcoding and it works without many problems I believe with an i9 -14900K and an Nvidia 4090 graphics card will work without any major problems, the secret of emby and placing the files in MP4 and with AAC audio quality. @Dydhzo

• Solution
Q-Droid

The Linux kernel used by Unraid would have to be new enough to include support for the 14th gen Intel CPU/iGPU. The next thing is whether ffmpeg in Emby can detect and support this newest generation. Typically both lag behind in Linux compared to Windows but Raptor Lake architecture includes 13th and 14th gen so chances are that things will work. Just not guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

Dydhzo

ok thanks @ebps01I only have MKV and AAC audio files, it seems to me, with an i9 -14900K you can do up to 18 transcoding with the right equipment, so for me it'll be maxiumum 12 I'd say. 

Dydhzo

@Q-Droidall right, thank you for your reply. would you recommend the i9-14900k or the i7-14700k? because i'm really hesitating between the 2.

RanmaCanada
4 hours ago, Dydhzo said:

@Q-Droidall right, thank you for your reply. would you recommend the i9-14900k or the i7-14700k? because i'm really hesitating between the 2.

There would be minimum difference in performance, but one of them will use a lot more power. Pretty much all processors in the same "family" have the same ASICS so the only difference would be in regards to any processing that is not done via quicksync, so audio and PGS subs.

• Like 1

Q-Droid
5 hours ago, Dydhzo said:

Pretty much what @RanmaCanada wrote. It depends on the workload and what else you might be doing on that system. For media the two are close but for other apps that might be CPU intensive you'll have to decide how much compute power you need. As an example, for a dedicated family media server an i3 can do the job for most people unless "family" means 10+ users streaming at the same time and many transcoding.

Dydhzo

Ok thanks to you @RanmaCanada@qyour answer so I think I will take the i7-14700k because there is a difference of 200 euro for 4 e cores more and yes it is to do 9-10 transcoding at the same time with Tdarr and other we agree that the i7-14700k is sufficient or is it better to take the i9 (I know it's the same igpu)? Even if later I do several vm?

(I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to be sure before ordering that it's a big one)