Go back to previous style of screen for collections

tfarrell

tfarrell
Posted (edited)

Previously collections allowed multiple media types: videos, music videos, music, audio books, books, even video games. It would show one big grid of everything, which I could have grouped (for example) chronologically. This was useful for some collections in which I had movies and music videos and books and video games (sometimes hundreds of items) - and I had some collections with all of them. Also I have some collections with a large amount of content, some of which easily had 80 or 100 items in the list, of varying content types.

Recently it changed, and now instead of a grid of multiple types of content, it's a scrolling list of movies (only) and another scrolling list of music videos (only) and nothing else. After laboriously trying to add some appropriate ebooks to collections piece by piece for literal years, they all disappeared. This doesn't make me feel confident that in the future any effort I put into curating my collections will matter instead of just going poof like it already has with books. Also, when there are hundreds of items, the scrolling list instead of the grid is nearly unusable - maybe it's nice for a few dozen, but for a very large quantity it's impossible to get an overview of the content and see how much there is. 

Proposed solution: put it back, it was better before (or make it selectable as a preference either by collection or for all collections), and never EVER again evict items from collections that I spent time adding. I am kinda salty about that. 🤬

Edited by tfarrell
add a little text, the bit in parentheses

Hi, yes, more options to control this are possible for future updates. Thanks.

• Facepalm 1
  • Disagree 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes, more options to control this are possible for future updates. Thanks.

Why are you ignoring us Luke!? You screwed up collections and you don't seem to care at all. It's like you're spitting in our face for some reason. This change really ticks me off because you knew what should have been done to group media typea in collections and you instead did whatever the heck you wanted to, royally screwing up how collections are displayed. Can you please stop being so stubborn and fix collections?

• Like 2

tfarrell

more options to control this are possible for future updates

That's not really an OK answer. You already damaged our collection content. Those of us with large collections are suffering through the current screen now. The Emby team made the decision to make the change without consideration of how it would affect some of us. A vague statement of "more options are possible" doesn't solve anything.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

MBSki
7 hours ago, tfarrell said:

That's not really an OK answer. You already damaged our collection content. Those of us with large collections are suffering through the current screen now. The Emby team made the decision to make the change without consideration of how it would affect some of us. A vague statement of "more options are possible" doesn't solve anything.

Agree. It's an insulting answer. Adding a new feature that no one asked for is 1 thing, but f'ing up an existing feature and ignoring the improvements that users asked for is absolutely insulting. @Lukeis demonstrating how little he cares about users.

We should provide a way to see the items in one list but this statement:

1 hour ago, MBSki said:

that no one asked for

is incorrect.

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

is incorrect.

You didn't understand what I was saying. OTHER features are not asked for, and for those, go ahead, f them up. But for features that ARE asked for like group collections by media type which I also requested, then Luke needs to listen to the users and take into account what's been asked and what's already been proven in the ATV app. Instead, he completely ignored everything, did whatever the hell he wanted to, and it pisses me off. Enough is enough. He just completely ignores what we've asked for and then we have to wait YEARS to get it done the way it should've been done to begin with. It's completely BS.

Make sense?

• Thanks 1

tfarrell

11 hours ago, MBSki said:

that no one asked for

is incorrect.

The request you quoted is to group items in a collection by content type. Okay. However, that's not what was done. What was done is to group them by content type, make a scrolling list instead of a grid, and remove all books and games from collections. If they were still in grids and books (and games? - I really don't remember if games are a default emby function or if they're something I added with an extension) were still there, I'd shrug, be very slightly irritated, but accept it. That's not what happened, on either part.

• Like 1