Option to restrict Users to specific Collections

Blam84

Blam84
Posted (edited)

Being able to specify Collections or even Genres that are allowed/not allowed for specific users would be helpful in the "Parental Control" setting. Only having maximum allowed parental rating isn't as helpful.

Edited by Blam84
  • Agree 1

darkassassin07

You can whitelist/blacklist items from users by adding tags to those items, then allowing access to only items with the tag(s) or only items without the tag(s).

Dashboard > Users > [username] > Parental Control

SmartSelect_20240503_134811_Emby.jpg.e5b5e982910fa7e9eff73496fff93211.jpg

Blam84
3 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

You can whitelist/blacklist items from users by adding tags to those items, then allowing access to only items with the tag(s) or only items without the tag(s).

Dashboard > Users > [username] > Parental Control

SmartSelect_20240503_134811_Emby.jpg.e5b5e982910fa7e9eff73496fff93211.jpg

Not a bad suggestion, but unfortunately, I would have to tag every individual item inside of a collection to do this, since tagging the collection doesn't trickle from parent to child.

darkassassin07

Edit in mass via the bulk metadata editor?

Could be easier, but it's something.

17 hours ago, Blam84 said:

Only having maximum allowed parental rating isn't as helpful.

Hi.  Why?  When also there are custom ratings you can give items.  The parental rating is designed for exactly what you are trying to do - restrict based on content.

Blam84
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why?  When also there are custom ratings you can give items.  The parental rating is designed for exactly what you are trying to do - restrict based on content.

PG for a Disney cartoon and PG for Monty Python and the Holy Grail are two very different things. The parental rating system is far from flawless. Emby makes it hard to adjust metadata for items in bulk. Collections and Playlists are my easiest options, hence my suggestion.

10 minutes ago, Blam84 said:

The parental rating system is far from flawless.

Agreed, which is why we have the Custom Rating field.

If your real issue is easier bulk metadata editing, then that is a different issue.

Blam84
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Agreed, which is why we have the Custom Rating field.

If your real issue is easier bulk metadata editing, then that is a different issue.

Let me tweak my response. I think being able to give users specific access to collections or playlists would be helpful to me. If the Devs or others disagree, please disregard.

Edited by Blam84
Clarification

28 minutes ago, Blam84 said:

I think being able to give users specific access to collections or playlists would be helpful to me

Hi.  The issue there is that would be ambiguous.  An item can belong to multiple collections and playlists so there is no way to derive access control from that structure.  An item could be in one collection that is blocked and another that is allowed.

So, I'm just trying to provide a way to get to what you really want within the system.

Thanks.

Blam84
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The issue there is that would be ambiguous.  An item can belong to multiple collections and playlists so there is no way to derive access control from that structure.  An item could be in one collection that is blocked and another that is allowed.

So, I'm just trying to provide a way to get to what you really want within the system.

Thanks.

Fair enough. Knowing what I now know about custom parental guidance ratings helps. I am one who favors granular control, so being able to restrict people from viewing certain content in an easy way is what I'm after. It seems that tagging those items might be my best option. So in that case, what is the easiest way to tag media in Emby in bulk?

For now, you can check out the Bulky plug-in.

• Like 1