It's possible RIP Old CD with tracks in DTS

Pietrogramma

Pietrogramma

Hi everybody, I don't know if my question is OT, if yes I ask you sorry.
I have some old CD DTS that I would rip in my server and play them with Emby in DTS audio, it's possible?
My problem is that I can't rip CDs to DTS. I tried using foobar2000, but when I rip CDs it converts them to normal audio and not DTS, is there a way to do this?
Thanks and ciao

Hi, what’s the value in dts? Why not something more universally supported such as flac?

Pietrogramma
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, what’s the value in dts? Why not something more universally supported such as flac?

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.
I tried to rip the DTS CD with foobar to flac, but it loses the DTS encoding, can you tell me how should I proceed to convert the CD to flac, keeping the DTS encoding?

OK so it’s already dts on the cd. Never mind then.

@Vicpa may know.

Vicpa
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I've found that the .m4a format is the easiest container to use compared to FLAC, MKA, etc. It seems to work well. I also use Foobar and rip both AC3 2.0 and 5.1 tracks in the same manner.

Edited by Vicpa

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Pietrogramma said:

I tried to rip the DTS CD with foobar to flac, but it loses the DTS encoding, can you tell me how should I proceed to convert the CD to flac, keeping the DTS encoding?

What do you mean by "loses the DTS encoding".  A DTS CD is a WAVE stream which actually contains an encoded DTS bitstream; ripping it will produce a WAV file still containing the DTS - playing this using a program which doesn't recognise the DTS encoding will produce just noise - is this what you're getting?

Paul

rbjtech
Posted (edited)

It's probably better to extract them as MKA container format - which will contains the dts audio track.

I don't believe emby supports a .dts or .dtshd discreet file format ?  If it does, then there are tools out there that convert the WAV to a readable DTS bitstream.    From memory eac3to may do this - but can't be 100% - it's been a while since I looked at DTS files tbh.  (FLAC is a much better option now, both in terms of file size and also compatibility)

Edited by rbjtech

pwhodges

But this is extracting from a CD, not a DVD or BD, so getting a WAV file is to be expected.  If the track actually contains DTS and has not been altered in any way (e.g. dither, gain normalisation, or topping and tailing) then it will play as multi-channel DTS in just about any player, such as VLC.  The DTS track has a header which switches the DTS decoder on

As part of my early testing of Emby I took a DTS track from a DTS CD I made nearly 20 years ago and saved it as a wav file with a WAV extension, and also with a DTS extension - I even made an MKA containing it.  These all play in Emby generating the correct four-channel output (well, six with two empty).  I don't recall clearly, but it might have failed initially, and got fixed when I reported it.

Here is Emby's view - note, this is a two-channel WAV file, but Emby has correctly identified the DTS content:

image.jpeg.b53059e80d97100b022c687cdd382a35.jpeg

Paul

• Agree 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

But this is extracting from a CD, not a DVD or BD, so getting a WAV file is to be expected.  If the track actually contains DTS and has not been altered in any way (e.g. dither, gain normalisation, or topping and tailing) then it will play as multi-channel DTS in just about any player, such as VLC.  The DTS track has a header which switches the DTS decoder on

As part of my early testing of Emby I took a DTS track from a DTS CD I made nearly 20 years ago and saved it as a wav file with a WAV extension, and also with a DTS extension - I even made an MKA containing it.  These all play in Emby generating the correct four-channel output (well, six with two empty).  I don't recall clearly, but it might have failed initially, and got fixed when I reported it.

Here is Emby's view - note, this is a two-channel WAV file, but Emby has correctly identified the DTS content:

Paul

Sure Paul - I'm not disagreeing. ;)  Good to know emby is detecting as DTS (ffmpeg I guess).

Pietrogramma
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply and thanks at all.
I ripped the tracks of my CD/DTS in wav and I can play the ripped tracks with VLC (in the PC) and with Emby in my TV and A/V amplifer. The problem is that in the A/V Yamaha don't switches the DTS decoder on, but its remain in analogic function.
I read in Emby the information of the wav files and the files seem to be in DTS.
image.thumb.png.b5f3f2c675673ffde7e8cc653ecc7c70.png

Edited by Pietrogramma

Pietrogramma

Consider that my A/V amplifer with other media (DVD, Bluray, MKV files etc.) work fine in DTS mode, only with this ripped files don't switches DTS mode

pwhodges

If you attach a CD player directly to the A/V amp and play the DTS CD, does it get decoded correctly?

Paul

Pietrogramma
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If you attach a CD player directly to the A/V amp and play the DTS CD, does it get decoded correctly?

Paul

Yes

pwhodges

Hang on; I just realised that your image shows Emby transcoding the file - in my tests I think it was always being direct played.  The A/V amp is not getting the DTS but the AAC transcode, which is why the indicator is not showing.  This is because you are sending it through the TV, which Emby reckons can't handle either the WAV format or the DTS content (I'm not sure which).

If you can provide the logs for this playback (ffmpeg as well as Emby), it might be possible to work out the exact cause.

Paul

Pietrogramma
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Hang on; I just realised that your image shows Emby transcoding the file - in my tests I think it was always being direct played.  The A/V amp is not getting the DTS but the AAC transcode, which is why the indicator is not showing.  This is because you are sending it through the TV, which Emby reckons can't handle either the WAV format or the DTS content (I'm not sure which).

If you can provide the logs for this playback (ffmpeg as well as Emby), it might be possible to work out the exact cause.

Paul

I think it's exactly as you say. Consider that I have a TCL TV, on which I have installed Emby app, which takes files from my NAS.
The TV is connected to the amplifier via optical cable. For movies and concerts in DTS or DD (*.mkv files) everything is ok, the amplifier reproduces them perfectly in DTS or DD, only for these files ripped from CD/DTS I have problems.
I attach the log file ffmpeg, consider that the ripped file is a wave file and I can play it, but without DTS

Always thanks for all and ciao

ffmpeg-transcode-c4cf0a6e-ccb5-4154-83fa-8fa9a45082a8_1.txt

Edited by Pietrogramma

Hi.  Can you try searching for our standard android app (Just "Emby" on Amazon and "Emby for Android on Google) on the same device's app store and see how that compares?

Thanks.

Vicpa

Hi

Paul you are right, Emby is transcoding the file/stream.

The thing is that Emby is doing exacting what it should be doing 

See below,

What I think is happening is that Emby is evaluating the playback capabilities based on the "standard" of codec (wav, flac, ac3, dts..) and container type (.wav, .m4a, mka, etc.)

The thing is you have to put them together Which Emby does well.

Emby probably uses rules like below to determine what needs to be transcoded (which is deciding based on what it thinks the client device can play or stream)

the general "standards"

Container = "m4a",
                AudioCodec = "aac,alac,",
                VideoCodec = "",
                Type =Audio

Container = "flac",
                AudioCodec = "flac",
                VideoCodec = "",
                Type = Audio

and so on Container = Wav, MKA, etc

Emby does a great job doing the above. So IMO nothing seems broken per say.. 

@Luke@pwhodges @Pietrogramma

Don't we really just need to know if there is container we can put the content in Emby would evaluate it and not transcode it.

(My thought is on windows any there is never a need to transcode a music based on codec or container, windows os has great support. Where you may want it is because of bandwidth considerations)

Container = "?????",
                AudioCodec = "DTS", (and to cover other flavors AC3, EAC3, XXXX,XXXX,)
                VideoCodec = "",
                Type = Audio

-vicpa

BTW I hacked the container definition for "m4a" adding to the AudioCodec ="aac,alac,ac3,eac3", as workaround on the client I use. Satisfied with results. Obviously not the way to do it

Right for m4a we have to evaluate support of both the container and codecs within.

Vicpa
Posted (edited)

For any container, right?

I think @Pietrogrammais looking for a supported container type of any kind mka, wav,  that let's a user rip an audio file that Emby supports direct stream of DTS, 

I am adding the AC3  as that is similar. a

I would say MKA, but Picard doesn't yet support it,

It can't really be an uncompressed stream my Yamaha just plays that,    it doesn't look for a "Stream" in the uncompressed stream of XYZ . Paul I think that was your point. So correct me if I have it wrong.

-vicpa

FYI and some fun 

my AI of the day Got THIS WRONG  -       Kodi should read Emby    and   MKVToolNix is a good tool but really a music tagging one

"Yes, MKA (Matroska Audio) files support standard embedded tags. These tags can include metadata such as the title, artist, album, and date released. The tags are similar to those used in other audio formats and can be edited with various tools.

For instance, Kodi, a popular media player, can read and use tags embedded in MKA files. It supports tags like MusicBrainz, which is recommended for accurate tagging1. Additionally, there are tools like MKVToolNix that allow you to add or edit tags in MKA files. This process might involve creating XML files for the metadata and then muxing that XML file into your MKA files"

Edited by Vicpa

Pietrogramma
6 hours ago, Vicpa said:

For any container, right?

I think @Pietrogrammais looking for a supported container type of any kind mka, wav,  that let's a user rip an audio file that Emby supports direct stream of DTS, 

I am adding the AC3  as that is similar. a

I would say MKA, but Picard doesn't yet support it,

It can't really be an uncompressed stream my Yamaha just plays that,    it doesn't look for a "Stream" in the uncompressed stream of XYZ . Paul I think that was your point. So correct me if I have it wrong.

-vicpa

FYI and some fun 

my AI of the day Got THIS WRONG  -       Kodi should read Emby    and   MKVToolNix is a good tool but really a music tagging one

"Yes, MKA (Matroska Audio) files support standard embedded tags. These tags can include metadata such as the title, artist, album, and date released. The tags are similar to those used in other audio formats and can be edited with various tools.

For instance, Kodi, a popular media player, can read and use tags embedded in MKA files. It supports tags like MusicBrainz, which is recommended for accurate tagging1. Additionally, there are tools like MKVToolNix that allow you to add or edit tags in MKA files. This process might involve creating XML files for the metadata and then muxing that XML file into your MKA files"

Exactly as you say, I own about 20 CDs/DTS and I would like to be able to play to them in DTS, without having to insert the CD into the player each time, so any container would do, as long as it lets me listen to them in DTS.
Yesterday I tried listening to the WAV file in DTS with Kodi and the amplifier turned on the DTS decoder regularly.
If it is not possible with Emby, I'll use KODI for CD/DTS, although I am so sorry because I love Emby.
Thank you all for your help and I hope, in the future, this can be remedied so that I can listen to CD/DTS even with the fantastic Emby

• Agree 1