Hardware Accelerated Tone Mapping uses CPU (instead of Intel ARC GPU)

jameskitt616

jameskitt616
Posted (edited)

I recently got my hands on a Intel ARC A380 GPU.

It works perfectly fine for when i disable Tone Mapping altogether, tho when i enable Hardware Accelerated Tone Mapping and choose *any* of the options (preferable Intel QuickSync for me), it doesn't use the GPU anymore for transcoding and fully falls back to CPU transcoding (Which is bad because my VM only got 4 CPU cores, which spike to 100% for transcoding).

I've tested the same scenario in Jellyfin. At Jellyfin the GPU is still being used and the CPU (same 4 cores) spikes to about 25%.

image.png.e0f42d0bf313d589984d94a58b7bbb7f.png

ffmpeg-transcode-210137e1-fa80-45e8-8b09-d05e915efb5a_1.txt

Edited by jameskitt616

jaycedk

Try with vaapi enabled, to see if it works with that.

jameskitt616

I tried every option including VAAPI and for both, their tone mapping algorithms. 

mantonx
Posted (edited)

I have the same issue, and it did work at some point. Did you happen to upgrade to Ubuntu 24.04 (6.8.x kernel)? If so, I believe it's related to this post as well. I think the version of OpenCL that Emby uses doesn't detect Intel Arc cards with the new kernel.

Attached are my logs as well.

ffmpeg-transcode-d1842273-f7f4-4a7c-8293-80ab91df4166_1.txt

Edited by mantonx

jameskitt616

Yes indeed, i did upgrade to ubuntu 24.04 to get the 6.8 Kernel to get the Intel ARC runnning.

• Thanks 1

mantonx

Just bumping this. I think updating OpenCL to the latest version in the Docker container that's used by Emby will resolve this. It's not possible to downgrade to a previous version of Ubuntu in most cases.

jameskitt616

For my perfect setup i would like to use docker, but i couldn't get the Intel ARC card working properly with Emby docker (neither with the official nor the linuxserver image).
But i also couldn't get it working with the Jellyfin docker.