Emby Addon Transcoding: Comments and Questions

monkeylove

monkeylove

I'm currently using audio transcoding because my 5.1-channel home theater system is old and only has an optical audio jack, so I have to transcode audio from all formats to ac3 so that any 5.1-channel audio track would come out as that. (The videos are found in an Emby server, and the videos played in an Android TV box with Kodi and the Emby addon installed.)

I found two ways to do this:

Method 1:

Set the Kodi audio setting to default, then activate both passthrough and let the receiver transcode to AC3.

Method 2:

Set the Kodi audio setting to 5.1, etc., (I think), activate passthrough (the transcode option will disappear because the audio's set to 5.1), and then in the Emby addon settings transcode all audio codecs (you can probably leave AC3 and DTS).

I noticed that with videos using things like AAC-LC for the audio codec, the sound is still soft for Method 1, so it looks like Method 2 is better.

For Method 2, I notice the ff.

Sometimes, the video would stop after around 9-15 minutes. I notice that the problem disappears if I enable hardware acceleration and/or disable throttling in the transcoding settings of the Emby server.

Next, when I fast forward or fast rewind the video, the player tends to go haywire, jumping back and forth, usually far ahead in time. I have to keep skimming back and forth until I reach the correct spot. This doesn't happen without transcoding.

Finally, for some videos, right at the end the player will jump to a few minutes before and replay the remaining minutes once or twice before ending the video. I read an earlier thread saying that it's a problem with the transcoding software, i.e., for some videos it can't get the number of minutes in the video.