Photos - Slideshow Appears To Repeat After 150 Photos

wixwonkity

wixwonkity

Was recently looking for a photo slideshow for our TV. Something to just randomly go through our vacation photos and display them like a picture frame.

Stumbled upon the Photo feature of Emby, as we have been using Emby for videos for a while now.

We have all our photos grouped in folders. All together 100+ folders and around 20,000+ photos total.

On the Photos screen, it defaults to the Folders view which works great. But, I can also choose Photos and then choose Randomize for a makeshift photo picture frame.

I correctly see 1/20,583 in the bottom right corner. Click play on the remote and it start going through the photos.

At photo 150 it then loop back to the beginning.

Have verified this twice.

Not sure if I am going something wrong or if this is a possible bug.

Any support is appreciated!

Thank you for the great software, we love it!

Hi. How do you know it was 150?

wixwonkity
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. How do you know it was 150?

Once I thought it was looping, I sat and watched it about 4-5 times. I took note of the photo that it ended on before going back to the beginning photo.

Counted them. Which is fairly easy since they are a grid. It was always the 150th photo.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page of photos before starting the slide show, it should show them all.  However, you may not want to do all of them.   Maybe just scroll down several pages...

Gilgamesh_48
Posted (edited)

For as simple as the display of photos appears it seems that every interface has major problems that Emby is just incapable of effectively addressing.

I guess we should be happy that mostly Emby works quite well and just "grin and bear it" in the parts that break regularly or never get addressed.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Hi, we'll look into this. Thanks.

Hi.  A new version of the app was released this morning that will improve this.  It should now show you over two hours worth of unique items when playing like this.  We will look into extending that to the entire set but this should improve it for now.

Thanks.

@Gilgamesh_48this version also has the ability to mark/unmark a photo as a favorite.  Just bring it up full screen (click on it) then hit either OK or '*' at that point.

This will also work during a slide show if you happen to see a photo you want to mark in that context.

• Thanks 1

wixwonkity

Wow. That is awesome. I will grab the latest Roku app and give it a go.

Thank you so much for looking into this!

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, ebr said:

@Gilgamesh_48this version also has the ability to mark/unmark a photo as a favorite.  Just bring it up full screen (click on it) then hit either OK or '*' at that point.

This will also work during a slide show if you happen to see a photo you want to mark in that context.

I just tested the favorite/unfavorite functionality and I can say that, for me, it works fine. It does not work exactly like i envisioned it working but they way it works is quite fine.

I guess this "proves' that if you scream loudly enough and often enough you might get noticed. ;) It is the old "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation, I guess. :D 

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

It does not work exactly like i envisioned it working

How did you envision it?

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, ebr said:

How did you envision it?

Well I kind of expected that there would be a single keystroke to favorite/unfavorite a photo and that you would be able to do it from browsing without having to "full size" the photo. But my "vision" has become weaker as I have aged. ;) :D My age makes for a good excuse for a number of short comings as I get older. ;) 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

that there would be a single keystroke to favorite/unfavorite a photo

We are limited to the buttons on the remote control.  While, theoretically, we could use something like the * button in the grid view, this would be different from Roku standards (and might not pass validation by them).

Any interface would have to be through some sort of menu as we cannot assign one of the Roku buttons to a random function.

Gilgamesh_48
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

We are limited to the buttons on the remote control.  While, theoretically, we could use something like the * button in the grid view, this would be different from Roku standards (and might not pass validation by them).

Any interface would have to be through some sort of menu as we cannot assign one of the Roku buttons to a random function.

Oh, I totally understand the "reasons" and I very much accept that this is, probably, the best that can be done within the limits of what is allowed on the Roku. I just had a vision that "looked" different in my imagination that its implementation ever could. 

This is one feature i saw, in my mind's eye, working very differently than it does. Of course i was not looking at it like a programmer but, rather, I was looking at it as a user and, as a user, we do not really understand limitations. 

Off topic: Now just give me a proper photo display in my browser WITH a working alphapicker and a fully functional folder view regardless of the number of photos involved. 😇 :D Of course that has nothing at all to do with the Rokus.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48