Back to PLEX i go..sad

chrisrobbins1970

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

i do know that that database is several gigs big

Either you have a lot of media or there is something wrong with this database.  As my 40+TB server has less than a gig db (440MB).

Tremas

I disagree that 8GB is the issue. While 8GB may seem small, this issue is only happening on his Roku and then again only in movies. I think it is sufficient for not having to have the Roku Ap hang up when using the alpha picker. 

Edited by Tremas

chrisrobbins1970

one thing I've never done is run the scan metadata folder.. would that make a difference ???

Tremas

Just a few more points - the cache still needs to load from disk into memory once you first open the home screen. Give the system a few minutes set itself up before you call it a failure. If nothing else, it should at least be snappier.

The other thing I mentioned was a movie with some type of non-ASCII character in the sort description. It seems that there were some threads about that messing up Roku alpha pickers. Anyhow, just trying to help. Hope you day goes better.

Happy2Play
Just now, chrisrobbins1970 said:

one thing I've never done is run the scan metadata folder.. would that make a difference ???

Not really as that is only needed if you are manually editing stuff within the folder.  Or moved the path.

Tremas
1 minute ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

One way to find out (It certainly won't hurt)...

Just be sure to give it some time to complete and update, especially with a large library.

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

Tremas, thank you for all your help...

I have been telling my family and friends that I'm switching to Emby and they always come back and say'plex has a faster movie search...' grrrrrrr..hence the alphapicker issue.. true but plex has all other issues that break everytime an update goes through.... I still stand by my statement EMBY for the WIN

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

Tremas

Oh, I get it. Sorry your frustrated. Emby has it's quirks, but I really do love it and for better or worse it has made me learn a lot more about setting up a server. I think you're getting there. It's either a non-standard media file somewhere (Roku is notoriously picky), or a better optimization of movies loading into the Roku (again, Roku is picky). Users are hard to please.. family even more so.

chrisrobbins1970

ok..let me go that path...non-standard media file somewhere? how would I check ?

or optimization of movies?

chrisrobbins1970

nearly all movies are 1080p...and structured this way...

image.png.edba72f1c41842209aedd8ee6d9561e1.png

Tremas

Maybe try to see if you can get the Roku to hang at a specific position. Go to the movies screen and step through each click of the FF button until it hangs, then see if any movie in that area has some type of weird metadata in the sort title. Just a off the top of my head...

@speechles? Any ideas?

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

nearly all movies are 1080p...and structured this way...

image.png.edba72f1c41842209aedd8ee6d9561e1.png

Have not tested but could see that trailer naming scheme causing issues.  Are all your trailers improperly named like that?

chrisrobbins1970

i guess I can remove them all..but WOW that will be alot to replace....

Happy2Play
Just now, chrisrobbins1970 said:

i guess I can remove them all..but WOW that will be alot to replace....

Testing this it does not appear to be an issue but they should be in a trailers folder if not named same as media.

Trailers | Emby Documentation

36 minutes ago, Tremas said:

Maybe try to see if you can get the Roku to hang at a specific position. Go to the movies screen and step through each click of the FF button until it hangs, then see if any movie in that area has some type of weird metadata in the sort title. Just a off the top of my head...

@speechles? Any ideas?

For me, I won't lie, it occasionally hangs. But I have an overall large library. But I can jump from A to Z in under 20 seconds. I am using the BETA version of the Roku app which will fetch larger chunks rather than so many small chunks.

The Roku does not handle fetches that occur back to back very well, which is how the jumping works. We do have a new version of the jumping which attempts it more like the web app. But it isn't a cure. I do not know why the Roku loses the observer when you call this over and over. But if you press the fast-forward button over and over you kind of simulate exactly like jumping is doing. It has something to do with when the request times out it isn't contacting the observer so it can know the last fetch failed and then continue on and fetch more. Instead, it gets stuck.

There are a few ways we can solve this but none make this work any better. The new version of the jumping which copies the web app is better. But it isn't doing the fetching any different. It just immediately knows where to go in the new version index wise. The old version was checking letters for everything until it saw what it needed. Obviously knowing the index to jump to is better then checking first letters of everything you get.

We can do a few things to make this tolerable and I have discussed all of these with @ebrand we may have to spend some deliberate time speeding up these fetches.

-------------

@chrisrobbins1970I can actually reproduce the hangs on the jumping when going A-Z at certain times. My library.db is almost 3GB and the machine it runs on has 8GB RAM.  Emby is usually eating a good 67% of that RAM at any given point. I have increased the DB cache to 3184 and the cleanup to 100000. That way it will keep most of the DB in RAM when doing these queries. I also run off an m2 nvme but that isn't helping. The Roku still hangs occasionally on my movie library.

That being said, it isn't the end all end all. We will find the cause of the damn thing. Because it is causing this kind of response with users and even myself. The more squeaks heard the more grease it causes us to put on that spot. I also find the reliability of the jumping to annoy me as well on the Roku and I help build the damn thing. This is not something in the code, but something in how the Roku handles the code, so we will adapt accordingly and figure out how to please the beast.

Just know that we will put some serious time into this and figure out how to best handle this. I will get with @ebragain and we will figure out a solution that everyone can be happy with. Please be patient and give us some time to get something together.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Well back to PLex I go.. Emby is amazing on ANY device but Roku. The alphapicker is not working properly on Roku and since ALL my family and friends use ROKU; I get daily texts..Hey Emby froze when I went to look for a movie under letter (whatever letter) and had to close emy go back into and look for a movie using the fastforward button or voice search..SO becuase of this little issue that I guess the DEVs are handcuffed getting it fixed for Roku..I am sadly going back to PLEX and deal with the issues from plex when they arise..

I would rather stick with emby becuase for MY needs its the WINNER, but the alphapicker which even I use and all my family uses its the deal breaker....With over 6000 movies it takes a long time using the FASTFORWARD button.

I do hope there will be a fix for this..What ever code plex uses for the alphapicker..emby need sto use it. I'll keep checking back from time to time to see if its been fixed...

hi, don't you want a personal media server and not one that puts your information into the cloud?

chrisrobbins1970

LUKE.. you have been so helpful in the past... of COURSE I want to stay with emby...EMBY for the WIN

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

changing to 1024 made no difference

Did you restart the server after making that change?

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

yes...i even went higher...still no difference

image.png.15c27b589d656218621d84d5f6b00772.png

I wouldn't go too high with only 8Gb in the whole system...

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

i just pulled those numbers from the sky...i am not sure what the sweet spot is

chrisrobbins1970

One thing I did want to mention to all that was help yesterday....

If I change from MOVIE TAB to FOLDER TAB. It takes around 10-15seconds to load..however the alphapicker is fast..i mean #-Z in 1 second, but thats in FOLDER TAB.

If the MOVIE TAB could do the same thing...perfect

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

One thing I did want to mention to all that was help yesterday....

If I change from MOVIE TAB to FOLDER TAB. It takes around 10-15seconds to load..however the alphapicker is fast..i mean #-Z in 1 second, but thats in FOLDER TAB.

If the MOVIE TAB could do the same thing...perfect

I believe the alpha picker is either fine or completely FUBAR. Even in my browser there is no alphapicker in photos if browsing by photos but if browsing by folders it is fine. However the last 1/3 of the photos will not show when browsing by folder but will show when browsing by photos. So when browsing I can either have a perfectly working alphapicker and not be able to view 1/3 of my photos or I can view all my photos but have absolutely no alphapicker. <SIGH> 

FWIW: On my Rokus the photos are fine and the alphapicker works in all modes I have investigated. 
I think Emby has just not thoroughly debugged and usability tested the alphapicker across all interfaces. They must see it as unimportant because it works for most people most of the time.

Lastly, it seems that, in spite of promises, Emby just refuses to add simple things to the Roku interface like the ability to favorite/unfavorite photos from the Roku interface. 
As good as the programming and user interface is for the Roku Emby just will not finish the product's user interface on the Roku. 
It gets very frustrating when we have the high quality we see combined with the extreme neglect we also see. 😜 

18 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Emby just refuses to add simple things to the Roku interface like the ability to favorite/unfavorite photos from the Roku interface. 

You have more than just that one?