Back to PLEX i go..sad

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

I am wondering..possible synology server issue??  possible to try a downgrade to a lower version to see and difference ?

I am running Version 4.8.5.0

Synology starts off with 4.7.14.0-724071400

IF so..how do I downgrade without losing data?

Gilgamesh_48

The only place where i have had any problem with the alphapicker is when browsing on my computer and viewing photos. Otherwise the alphapicker operates perfectly on my Rokus. There was a brief time when things got screwed up on the Rokus but that was fixed quite quickly. 

In fact I have several different clients and the only ones that works correctly almost all the time are the Rokus. 

28 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

IF so..how do I downgrade without losing data?

You would have to start with a fresh install but I don't recommend that as it is not indicated that the server version is related since others are on the up to date version as well.

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

WOW..everyone but me the alphapickers with the Roku works great..

I got a text and my friend has a Roku TV and same issue..alphapicker doesn't work correctly..

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

does the server log show anything?

I am using Roku Ultra 4802RW - software version - 12.5.5 build 4174-C2

if that helps any?

chrisrobbins1970

jsut got a text from my uncle and he said that HIS roku ultra same thing; alphapicker not working, but his hiense 65 roku TV, aplhapicker works fine..WTF??

Tremas

Just putting this out there if it hasn't been explored already: server settings for cache folder location and database size is optimal for this library size, or perhaps some movie with a strange character in the title or sort title that is causing a hangup with the jump?

I also run a Emby on a Synology but I don't recall any issues with the Alpha picker in the past few years. I can double check tonight. However, I do have my database folder on an SSD and have increased the database cache size (the default values are pretty conservative). I expect ebr or Luke walked you through that stuff already, but just in case..

edit: also, I am running a Roku Ultra and a Roku TV (with an Roku 3 I pull out for testing once in awhile).

Edited by Tremas

Tremas

Well, even if it isn't a silver bullet it can only help. Most of us emby users who have used the system for some time have changed the database cache setting so long ago it's easy to forget. Like I said, the default is conservative to be able to run on minimal hardware. I forget what the rule of thumb is (related to ram size), but check the value for emby settings>database>database cache size. Mine is set to 1024 for what it's worth. My movie library is smaller though - about 1300.

chrisrobbins1970

i posted a screenshot.. I have a synology DS1520+ with 8gigs of RAM and 2x 1gig SSD for caching

chrisrobbins1970

So what would be the best cache and Analysis row limit settings for my database... I have 5900 movies..I have 8gigs of ram and using synology DS1520+ ?

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

So what would be the best cache and Analysis row limit settings for my database... I have 5900 movies..I have 8gigs of ram and using synology DS1520+ ?

What is your library.db size?  But I usually go at least twice the size.

• Agree 1

jaycedk

I would check you library DB size, and set the DB cache to 2x or 2.5x of that size.

chrisrobbins1970

thats the problem. I cant see the emby folder...

image.png.03a8ba1dacd0c0b2d38341af7ec558c9.png

Tremas

Just tested at home during Lunch. On my system both release and beta versions on Roku Tv take about 5 seconds to load a jump from A to Z the first time, and then about 1 second any subsequent jump (after the whole thing loads). Could be snappier I guess. I don’t use that main movies screen very much, and when I do I have it sorted by release date. 

Happy2Play

Don't know Synology but will guess you need db cache of a minimum of 512 but would probably set to 1024.  You can always just test.

Tremas

Understood. Sorting by Title is the only one that gets you the alpha picker. I’m just saying that I don’t usually use the alpha picker so I haven’t really looked at it until now.

BTW I also have a 1520+ and use Roku so hopefully my performance is decent benchmark. 

Tremas
24 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

thats the problem. I cant see the emby folder...

image.png.03a8ba1dacd0c0b2d38341af7ec558c9.png

Yes, you would need to SSH into your Synology to get that. I wouldn't spend time messing about with that. If you have 8gb of ram trying 1024 should not be risky. Reboot and test and see if it improves.

A thought for later though - if you do want to check your database size easily you can set up the backup plugin to save to a folder that you can see in the Synology DSM. Then you can open that backup folder and see the copy of database file.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

chrisrobbins1970

try the alphapicker for titles and let me know what happens for you?

Tremas
28 minutes ago, Tremas said:

Just tested at home during Lunch. On my system both release and beta versions on Roku Tv take about 5 seconds to load a jump from A to Z the first time, and then about 1 second any subsequent jump (after the whole thing loads). Could be snappier I guess. I don’t use that main movies screen very much, and when I do I have it sorted by release date. 

Sorry if I was not clear, but yes that is what I did. In the post above I tried the alpha picker (sorting by Title) and it took about 5 seconds to jump from A to Z the first time and then about 1 second on any subsequent jump.

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

i do know that that database is several gigs big..changing to 1024 made no difference..what are the increements to use ?

polaris70

I have Synology 1621+ using Apple TV 4K, not Roku. The 8GB RAM spec doesn't seem good enough. If your Synology NAS allows you to upgrade to 16GB or 32GB RAM, I highly recommend it.

chrisrobbins1970

well....I thnk everyone for the help, but again nothing seems to work for me... for some odd reason the alphapicker for movies filtered to titles, just does not seem to work for me and my family and friends. I have increased the database cache several times, restarted several times and still no better...

I know all my family and freinds use the alphapicker and its having some issue on MY end..it has to be but unable to figure it out. Other people the alphapicker is perfect for me..no clue....