This is far and away the worst app I have ever tried to use.

BoyHowdy
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

BoyHowdy

Signing in is impossible. My server is never available remotely. Why did I pay for this ridiculous service?

BoyHowdy

Why do I have a user name and password when I am asked for an email and password to sign in? Where do I find the name of my server? Can I just get my money back?

Happy2Play

Emby is NOT a media streaming service. We provide no content. Emby is a Personal Media Server platform. You must have your own server installed and your own media (or Live TV tuner). Please DO NOT purchase one of these items unless you are using your own server that you installed.

Can you elaborate as Emby is not a provider service, did you install your own server?

Installation | Emby Documentation

7 minutes ago, BoyHowdy said:

Why do I have a user name and password when I am asked for an email and password to sign in? Where do I find the name of my server? Can I just get my money back?

But do not know what you paid for but you will need to email billingsupport@emby.media

BoyHowdy

I am using my server that I provided. As well as my own content. The problem is I cannot access that server from any device other than the one it sits on. that’s not what I paid for. 

BoyHowdy

I paid for “Emby premium” on or about November 7 of 2023.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, BoyHowdy said:

The problem is I cannot access that server from any device other than the one it sits on

That would suggest a firewall issue.  But since these are you first post I will guess no troubleshooting has been done.

Troubleshooting Internal Connections

What server platform?  What server version?

What clients?

But if you do not want to troubleshoot you will need to email address above.

BoyHowdy

The most helpful response would be telling me where I find the name of my server. Then perhaps I can tell you the platform and the version. I was able to access my content at home on a device other than the one on which the server resides. I am no longer able to do that. I try to log on to the server from my iPad and I am asked for an email. When I set up the account, I created a username. With that username I have a password. I have no email/password combination for my Emby server, just for Emby connect, which for some reason does not have a means for me to connect to my server. 

Happy2Play
Just now, BoyHowdy said:

The most helpful response would be telling me where I find the name of my server.

No one knows that but you say you have access to the Emby on the Host machine, go to the dashboard to see your server name.

Are you trying to use Connect to connect or directly via IP:port or DDNS:port connections?

Did you apply the Optional Connect info to your local user account?

image.png.b230a99b0668ed86fdc710e8f9d688e2.png

But you are logged in here so you have a email and password for connect as they are the same.

BoyHowdy

I do not understand the first part of your response—“no one knows that.” No one in this community knows where I can find the name of my server? That seems absurd. Or perhaps you then tell me where to find my server by instructing me to go to the dashboard on the Host machine. It would seem you know more than you think. 

• Solution
Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, BoyHowdy said:

No one in this community knows where I can find the name of my server?

It is your server so you have to look at your Dashboard.  On a Windows system it will be the hostname unless customized as you can name it whatever you want as it really isn't used for anything.  But there is no way for anyone to know this info but you.

image.png.ee472030ca04765edaf102f270c63786.png

BoyHowdy

Very good. By instructing me to go to the host machine to find the server information, you actually helped solve my issue. 

atomicmoon

Bravo, Happy!

I hope to one day have a fraction of your patience.

Edited by atomicmoon
  • Agree 9

rbjtech

I do think this post highlights yet again the very confusing 'connect' message you get when trying to initially connect a CLIENT to emby.

If it is a local client, on a local LAN then WHY does it not simply broadcast to find it - and ask for a emby LOCAL username and password ?

Instead it defaults to 'emby connect' - which if you have just installed your new emby server, you would not have set up yet (or have no plan to set up) !

So you then need to click 'skip' on the client and 'manually' connect to the server using the account you created when setting up the server ... which is what it should have asked for in the first place ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

If it is a local client, on a local LAN then WHY does it not simply broadcast to find it - and ask for a emby LOCAL username and password ?

That is exactly what all the apps do...

Where people run into problems is when their firewall is blocking that broadcast.