Shows Missing from Latest TV

Trevor68

GrimReaper

What does Edit Metadata>"Date added" field show for that item and episodes underneath?

Edited by GrimReaper

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

28/04/2024 06:34:09 PM for the series. Ep 1 06/03/2024 10:44:12 AM Ep2 15/03/2024 10:25:52 PM Ep3 02/04/2024 09:29:42 PM.

Ok so the episode dates and times are whacked, but at least the season is correct, and in the TV library view it correctly shows 3 unwatched episodes. 

Does altering the episode dates to say the 30/04/2024 make them appear in latest TV? I wonder how those dates got muddled? 

Edited by Trevor68

GrimReaper
Just now, Trevor68 said:

Ok so the episode dates and times are whacked

Yep, hence you're not seeing it in the Home Screen Latest row, as that row lists same as if you "Sort by Last Episode date added" in your TV library.

What is your Behavior for newly added content set to in Advanced library settings? 

image.png.edee6ac21c157f37591d3620408f45dc.png

Trevor68

same as yours, but there are NFO's present with the date/times that I posted, so I imagine that setting becomes irrelevant? 

GrimReaper
Just now, Trevor68 said:

same as yours, but there are NFO's present with the date/times that I posted, so I imagine that setting becomes irrelevant? 

That depends, whether that's Emby-created NFO or you're providing that NFO (written by some 3rd-party software) for Emby to ingest.

Trevor68

Oh ok, I just presumed that note meant that if a NFO is present then that setting becomes irrelevant? Should I change it anyhow? 

Is there a way to check who wrote the NFO?

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Should I change it anyhow? 

Yes, based on your preference, what you should do is:

1) Remove "Australia's Sleep Revolution with Dr Michael Mosley" show folder from your TV shows root

2) Delete any existing NFOs

3) Run Scan media library scheduled task

4) Change Library>Advanced tab>Date added behaviour for new content to "Use date scanned into library"

5) Move show folder back to TV root

6) Scan media library

8 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Is there a way to check who wrote the NFO?

Some software will write a line in the NFO identifying itself - some won't, some NFOs come already present/attached to dowloaded stuff, there's no rule, but if you have Metadata Saver>NFO enabled in your library settings, it was likely Emby (you can also check its/their timestamp(s)).

Edited by GrimReaper

Trevor68

Mmm, I went with "Remove identification", then deleted all NFO's, then refreshed metadata. Emby added all the exact same NFO's back again, with all the exact same incorrect dates. 

I will rinse repeat with the setting set to "use date scanned into library" but the note under that setting seems pretty clear that if metadata is present it is ignored. 

Yes I do use Emby to write the NFO's and I had not planned on turning that off. I just expected them to be written with correct dates. Which it always has before? 

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Mmm, I went with "Remove identification", then deleted all NFO's, then refreshed metadata. Emby added all the exact same NFO's back again, with all the exact same incorrect dates. 

18 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

what you should do is:

1) Remove "Australia's Sleep Revolution with Dr Michael Mosley" show folder from your TV shows root

2) Delete any existing NFOs

3) Run Scan media library scheduled task

4) Change Library>Advanced tab>Date added behaviour for new content to "Use date scanned into library"

5) Move show folder back to TV root

6) Scan media library

Identification has nothing to to with your case, it's filesystem/ingestion process-based.

7 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

but the note under that setting seems pretty clear that if metadata is present it is ignored. 

? It says quite the opposite:

If a metadata value is present it will always be used before either of these options.

Edited by GrimReaper

Trevor68

as in the SETTING is ignored. As in if there is metadata present then using that setting is pointless?

Anyhoo it occured to me that doing it your way there is no metadata present, so I did that as you posted step by step and now I have it in the latest tv section. Emby has recreated the NFO's but with todays' date this time. 

It still boggles my mind why I would need to suddenly change something that has worked fine for ten plus years, but there it is. 

GrimReaper
Just now, Trevor68 said:

now I have it in the latest tv section. Emby has recreated the NFO's but with todays' date this time. 

👍

Trevor68

Well yes changing a setting to mask some fairly inappropriate behaviour, but getting the desired end result is still a win I guess. 😆

7 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

as in the SETTING is ignored. As in if there is metadata present then using that setting is pointless?

Anyhoo it occured to me that doing it your way there is no metadata present, so I did that as you posted step by step and now I have it in the latest tv section. Emby has recreated the NFO's but with todays' date this time. 

It still boggles my mind why I would need to suddenly change something that has worked fine for ten plus years, but there it is. 

Correct, and there’s no change here. It’s always been this way. And in fact all metadata in the nfo works this way, for example regardless of your internet fetcher settings, the genres of a movie will come from your nfo if they are present. So hopefully that helps unboggle your mind.

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

Well the real question is still the same, why after ten years of working fine set to file creation date is emby suddenly creating random dates. 

As in why the need to change this setting at all?

Emby created those NFO's with quite clearly incorrect dates, but why after all this time are they wrong?

My mind is still boggled by the actual problem, not the distraction 😉

Being obtuse and pretending to misunderstand me is par for the course, but still doesn't mean there isn't an actual problem. 

Edited by Trevor68

1 hour ago, Trevor68 said:

Well the real question is still the same, why after ten years of working fine set to file creation date is emby suddenly creating random dates. 

As in why the need to change this setting at all?

Emby created those NFO's with quite clearly incorrect dates, but why after all this time are they wrong?

My mind is still boggled by the actual problem, not the distraction 😉

Being obtuse and pretending to misunderstand me is par for the course, but still doesn't mean there isn't an actual problem. 

Emby doesn’t create random dates. If you look at an example in detail then you’ll be able to find where the value came from. In fact there’s only a few possible places and this is explained in the help text.

Trevor68

Correct, Embry is clearly reading the files date modified value, instead of the date created. 

I have checked all three episodes and the date modified values match exactly. 

Could you please have Emby use the date created instead.

Happy2Play

To a point this has to be platform prevalent as Linux system are the issue with these files dates.  File created vs modified dates.

Date Created but as mentioned platform prevalent as some systems do not display this info properly or is not available and Emby will fallback to provided info as discussed in other topics.  So more info is required.

image.png.beb5fd0977b3746bb665c07ffd6a6886.png

But sounds like changing to Scan date resolves all your issues though.

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

Well your example looks exactly like mine, in other words far better off using date created, rather than modified. 

I'm unsure how linux does this?

As far as more info goes, my files are being created by Windows 11. 

In my instance Emby was clearly using the date modified info from the file. 

Screenshot 2024-04-29 110315.png

Edited by Trevor68

Happy2Play

But the files are on TRUENAS correct so in the end it would be what the filesystem is giving Emby when the files is probed with ffprobe.  

What platform is the server on and the media on?

But yes there are feature request to us Modified date in these Linux situations.

Edited by Happy2Play

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

Yes the files do get moved to Truenas Scale as their final destination, from the Windows 11 VM. 

my 4.7 server runs on Windows 11, my 4.8 Server runs on Truenas Scale as a Truecharts App. 

Both servers behaved exactly the same reading these files from truenas, as in they both incorrectly used the modified by info for date added. 

Just for info, my Jellyfin server was unflustered by any of this, and correctly added this show to the latest row. 

All three servers read the same set of files. 

hence my belief that this is an Emby problem. 

Edited by Trevor68

Happy2Play

In the end it is what the filesystem the media resides on provides Emby.

I know nothing about the platform but will assume it is not providing Emby with the correct info.

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

Emby is reading the file modified info, that's all I can tell you. 

Jellyfin is correctly reading the Date Created. 

What I'm telling you is that in this instance, the "request" your talking about has been granted,lol 

Edited by Trevor68

6 hours ago, Trevor68 said:

Correct, Embry is clearly reading the files date modified value, instead of the date created. 

No, Emby uses the Date Created timestamp, not Date Modified.

Happy2Play

I would guess we need to see what the filesystem provides for a specific example.

Since you have multiple servers do you write nfo files?  If so what server writes them as it would appear not to be your Windows server.