Random album chooses multiple albums

fcimeson

fcimeson

The random album feature doesn't seem to work properly.

• Consider an artist with two albums A and B
  • When emby chooses this artist, instead of choosing to play A or B, it instead plays both A and B with the tracks randomized
  • This happens from the music library in the Albums tab

Example from Emby

• I've attached an example screen shot where you can see multiple album covers in the play list.
  • The playlist was generated from the shuffle button while on the Albums tab

Screenshot from 2024-04-26 08-13-22.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-26 08-14-17.png

Hi.  That is how the shuffle feature is designed.  It shuffles the actual media, not the containers.

fcimeson

So it shuffles by artist for the Albums and Artist tab but then it shuffles by song for Songs tab?

Everything gets shuffled. In other words, it's not going to only shuffle the artists but then keep the tracks within each artist in some specific order.

fcimeson

Seems like cause for a feature request:

• On the Albums tab, shuffle albums (keep album song order)
  • On the Artist tab, shuffle by artist (randomize artist songs... unclear what is desirable here).

user24

I was curious about this, as I shuffle music a lot (though mainly from different starting points). From some brief experimenting, yes, I think there is some 'weirdness' happening with the various random shuffle modes now:

• Shuffle all, from the Songs tab, appears to be working as expected.
  • Shuffle all from the Albums tab, returns some strange results. Previously (Emby 4.7.x) it would return a random order of whole albums, as best as I recall. Now (Emby 4.8.5.0) it starts with a random order of whole albums, but then changes to a mix of two albums only, then completely random songs, then back to two albums mixed, then one album all together.....
  • Shuffle all, from the Album Artists tab, also returns weird results, similar to the Albums shuffle all above.

I do not think this is 'normal' at all (it doesn't greatly concern me though as I don't use the Album shuffle all mode greatly). If I have time a bit later on, I may experiment some more and provide more exact detailed examples with screenshots.

In the meantime, it may be worth Emby having a quick look to see if Shuffle is actually working correctly across the different tabs... it should be easy to replicate what I have described...

Edited by user24
  • Thanks 1