Roku Playback now failing regularly and predictably

finnsour

finnsour

We just got a new router and for some reason now most of our video content fails to play shortly after pressing play (<30 seconds), on Emby for Roku. The Roku device is the same one we've had for 3 years that's played all of this content just fine.

BehaviorPlayback could begin at 0 seconds and go to 11 before snapping back to the content title card page. Or if I start playback in the middle of something it could play for up to 30 more seconds before snapping back to the title card.

It has happened with the 10+ randomly picked pieces of media I've tried on.

Some of the content is TV shows, some movies, some music videos, and also to recorded zoom calls.  Some is direct play and some is transcoded. All of which was watched start to finish within the past month.

Music (mp3s) can play well past a minute and don't cut out. Problem may be limited to video content only

Platform & Versions

Emby is served by docker via Docker Desktop on a windows 10 pc. The image is lscr.io/linuxserver/emby:latest and is up to date with 4.8.5.0, though the issue also occurred on 4.8.4.0. And we updated to 4.8.4.0 at least a week ago, well before the problem began today. I did rebuild the whole docker install

Roku emby channel version Version  4.1.17. Roku STB 3920X

Troubleshooting steps so far

Isolate the problem. Content still plays fine in various browsers (chrome, edge, firefox) and apps (emby for windows) on different PCs (laptop; custom pc) and plays fine on emby android phone app. Transcoding and direct play both working.

Restart emby server, docker desktop, and the hardware emby is served from.

Restart Roku app

Restart router. Restart modem.

Verify everything in the stack is up-to-date including emby docker image, docker desktop, windows 10 on server and app on roku and roku device firmware

Verify router settings. It's an upgrade from an older Asus to a newer Asus. All of the settings available are roughly the same. I can connect just fine. Logs don't show anything weird happening connection-wise. And, again, playback works fine on this network on other devices also on the network.

I've checked the server logs to see if there's any errors. Hard for me to discern, so I am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction.

I factory reset our Roku and re-set it all up manually (direct via local ip and port). It connects, displays media. When I press play, the problem persists and abruptly content ends within 30 seconds.

embyserver (1).txt embyserver.txt

HI, during the time of this log file, what example did it happen with?

finnsour

I rotated the log files and then did a bunch of testing, so in embyserver(1).txt, everything attempted by the Roku device failed to play. For specific example, all of the Brooklyn nine nine episodes

I believe everything in embyserver.txt attempted by the Roku also failed, but I'm not sure what date/time it starts so it could have extended back to, earlier in the week whrn things worked.

finnsour
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Can you please reproduce this problem and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

I attempted to do this last night, but even after enabling debug logs in the debug options I could not find anywhere that said "send log" could you double check that it's possible and/or give me some visuals as to where I can find the "send log" option?

finnsour
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you please reproduce this problem and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

I attempted to do this last night, but even after enabling debug logs in the debug options I could not find anywhere that said "send log" could you double check that it's possible and/or give me some visuals as to where I can find the "send log" option?

EDIT: Nevermind. Something happened over the night such that the option now appears. I just sent the log after reproducing the issue on an episode of Kimmy Schmidt

finnsour

I thought it might be an issue with hardware transcoding so I updated gpu drivers and double checked that it was working properly.

Issue on Roku persists. Just sent another log. as of like 20 seconds ago

Thanks for the log.  We're looking into it.

@finnsourApologies for the issue. The Roku is thinking it is no longer the active display device. The Roku knows it had control of the input source and had full control when your item first was told to start playing. But during playback after some amount of time it thinks you changed the input source to another device and it no longer has control. This is fully dependent on the HDMI chain properly reporting things. If you try a different HDMI cable does that change things? What type/model of TV is your Roku connected to? You aren't using some kind of HDMI convertor are you?

finnsour
Posted (edited)

@speechlesThanks for your help!  How strange. We're running Roku -> Yamaha TSR-7810 -> LG 55LN5200. And this has been the chain since we bought the Roku 3 years ago. Based on what you've said I did some troubleshooting. I unplugged the HDMI cables from all the various points in the system and plugged them back in. No effect. I don't have any extras at the moment but I'll get some and try them out.

I don't know if this helps or hinders but we also have jellyfin installed on the same server and the same files are playing fine on this roku, to the same avr and tv as we use with Emby. Would this rule in/out the HDMI cables being a problem?

Edited by finnsour

14 minutes ago, finnsour said:

@speechlesThanks for your help!  How strange. We're running Roku -> Yamaha TSR-7810 -> LG 55LN5200. And this has been the chain since we bought the Roku 3 years ago. Based on what you've said I did some troubleshooting. I unplugged the HDMI cables from all the various points in the system and plugged them back in. No effect. I don't have any extras at the moment but I'll get some and try them out.

That is fine. You do not have to go out of your way. Knowing that it fails on your HDMI chain is enough to see that the Roku may not understand it still has control of the input source. We may have to include a setting to disable the "Active HDMI" so that users like yourself who have issues with it don't have to use it. That might be the best way to handle this. No other users have reported issues with this yet. But maybe the flood of users is coming? In any case it isn't supposed to happen. But sometimes for these weird edge cases we might need a setting. Please stay tuned and we will have something soon. Apologies this is even an issue. It should be resolved very soon.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Welp. I genuinely don't know what happened, but video playback is working just as it was, say, a week before my OP.

We haven't used Emby on this set up since last Thursday and have just left everything alone since Saturday. Any content watching on this Roku has been via Jellyfin, and I'd continued using Emby regularly on browsers and my phone. Today just on muscle memory I opened up emby and played the first thing I saw and it rolled right on through. 

Wish I had a reason but I'm coming up blank. I maybe reset the server hardware and docker once? But it'd have been no different than when I tried last week in the OP. Haven't touched any cabling since @speechlessuggestion on Saturday. 🤷🏼

Regardless, I'm happy to have Emby back on my Roku!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, finnsour said:

Wish I had a reason but I'm coming up blank.

Based on what is happening, it isn't too surprising to us that it might not be consistent.  Glad it is working for you again but we're going to make some changes that should keep this from happening in the future.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Hate to say it, but just so you guys know if it helps your work: problem has resurfaced with again no clear reason as to why. One day it was gone. Next day it was back. No noticeable changes in the system.

New data point though: Someone who is in another location is able to stream from my server just fine using a Roku SG 4.1.17, Hisense_Roku TV

Edited by finnsour

9 hours ago, finnsour said:

problem has resurfaced with again no clear reason as to why

My guess would be a difference in timing of when certain devices were turned on.  The next release should get around this for you and it should be out next week.

• Like 1

Blam84
15 hours ago, finnsour said:

Hate to say it, but just so you guys know if it helps your work: problem has resurfaced with again no clear reason as to why. One day it was gone. Next day it was back. No noticeable changes in the system.

New data point though: Someone who is in another location is able to stream from my server just fine using a Roku SG 4.1.17, Hisense_Roku TV

For the record, my issues with Roku, both subtitles and skipping/rewinding appear and disappear with no apparent reason.