GPU Question

SykesTheLord

SykesTheLord

Has anyone else experience issues getting your Emby install to utilize your Nvidia GPU for encoding?

My Proxmox LCX running Ubuntu 22.04 can see the GPU. When I run lshw -C display I get the following:

*-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:65:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       resources: irq:77 memory:d7000000-d7ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:b000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Does anything seem to be wrong with this output? I have installed the drivers by running the command "sudo ubuntu-drivers install --gpgpu nvidia:535-server", as I can't get the drivers directly from Nvidia to install.

SykesTheLord

I can't get the advanced encoder settings to see my GPU. I have Emby Premiere so it should work. When I try just saying yes enable hardware acceleration, I can see that the GPU isn't utilized at all and the CPU is getting hammered.

emby encoder.png

TMCsw

Hi, you need to 'black-list' the Ubuntu  'nouveau' driver. I don't exactly remember how to do this but it's was rather simple from what I recall,  but i'm sure if you search for 'ubuntu nvidia  nouveau blacklist' or something like that you will find complete instructions (I dumped my nvidia card long ago in favor  of intel quicksync) ...

Lessaj

It does say nouveau is the driver so yes likely need to blacklist it.

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf 

# generated by nvidia-installer
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
  *-display:1
       product: GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]
       physical id: e
       bus info: pci@0000:00:0e.0
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:11 memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:c100(size=128) memory:fd900000-fd97ffff

Edited by Lessaj

SykesTheLord

I got the issue fixed when it comes to the driver, as it is required to be installed on the host machine, not the LCX in Proxmox. Now I get the following but still get the issue with the transcoding being done on the CPU, both with with it in advanced, as well as with it in yes:

*-display                 
       product: GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:65:00.0
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:76 memory:d7000000-d7ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:b000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Is there anything that seems wrong with this?

Lessaj

I'm not familiar with LXC containers but post your hardware detection log from the last server startup.

TMCsw

Missed the Proxmox part, have you passed through the nvidia to the LXC ? (required)

This is much more complicated and has more than one way to be done for both 'privileged' or 'unprivileged' containers, again search…

Here is one way for a 'unprivileged' container https://blog.kye.dev/proxmox-gpu-passthrough 

I have done this in a different way in the past but eventually decided they emby is better (simple setup and very controllable) run on the bare metal Proxmox host.

Edited by TMCsw