Hang on Windows Emby Theater App

heffeque
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

heffeque

4.8.4.0-v2 and 4.8.5.0 (which in theory are the same) there's something that's still not working (or it might be an issue with the Windows Emby Theater app).

Trying to do this:

image.png.406cf1972397df4502512418d99de88f.png

It hangs on Windows Emby Theater app (Emby for Windows 1.1.553.0), even though it shows as playing (with the timer advancing) on the Dashboard:

image.png.655af4f5e0ab8608777150724aaff6e5.png

It has no issues playing on Edge (also direct play) or Firefox (transcode), so I'm not sure if it may have to do with the Windows App or the 4.8.4.0+ update.

Here are the logs:

embyserver.txtffmpeg-directstream-0bd10f6f-aeea-4139-a904-568ef5a09bb0_1.txtffmpeg-directstream-7a3652cb-c767-4ec9-bed4-0a68c56c6a32_1.txt

• Solution

Hi, did you disable the server transcoding option to allow subtitle extractions on the fly? Try turning that back on and see if it helps.

heffeque
Posted (edited)

With that specific video, it hangs on the Windows App.

It might have to do with a sub-par encode.

Let me explain:

If I open the video directly from MPC-HC or VLC, this is how some of the characters look:

image.png.995a9ddd050819d8fade7ccf7de46494.png

It should be "¿Acaso podemos darnos el lujo de discutir por tonterías sin preocuparnos de la situación?" So the "¿", "í" and "ó" characters have been replaced by "strange question marks" inside squares. So even MPC and VLC don't show the subs correctly, so for sure those subrip subs are broken from origin.

In Emby's case, those unsupported/broken characters lead to whole sentences missing instead of showing a "strange question mark" symbol. The sentences are fairly readable with the "strange question" marks on MPC, but subs are totally useless if 2 out of 3 sentences are missing (what Emby is doing).

It hides those whole sentences with all Emby players that I've tried: Edge, Firefox, and LG... except on the Windows App, which doesn't even play the video at all, even when disabling the subtitles from the start.

No issue with other subrip Spanish subtitles with Spanish symbols such as "ñ" or "á".

I can send you the video so that you can test around with badly produced subtitles, to make Emby more resilient to badly encoded subs.

Edited by heffeque

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, how does the web app compare with those symbols?

👇

On 4/24/2024 at 2:41 AM, heffeque said:

It hides those whole sentences with all Emby players that I've tried: Edge, Firefox, and LG... except on the Windows App, which doesn't even play the video at all, even when disabling the subtitles from the start.

heffeque

I actually uninstalled the Desktop app not too long ago.

At some point I actually edited the Desktop app so that it used VLC instead of app's player (to get HDMI audio passthrough working and better performance overall), but after sometime I decided that... for that use-case, I might as well just download the file locally and play it with VLC instead, and if I want online play (no HDMI audio passthrough needed), I can use the browser or the Windows app.

I'm comfortable with that, so not a major concern.

I do have a question though... why did enabling the "allow subtitle extractions on the fly" fix the issue? If that option is disabled, in theory it just transcodes burned in subtitles and literally any device should be able to consume that video, but... is burning in the subtitles not working for some reason? Is it not working specifically on my NAS hardware/software, or is it 4.8 related?

Edited by heffeque

Burning in subtitles should work, but it's a much more complex process. So yes, while it should have been fine, it's also adding more possible points of failure to the process of playing.

heffeque

Aham. Understood.

If it helps, my NAS is a Synology DS918+ (J3455 with QuickSync) on DSM 7.2, and using the native app, not docker.

Edited by heffeque