user prompt

byakuya32

byakuya32

you should add a screen when emby opens on the tv asking which user is watching for environments where multiple users share the tv as manually browsing to switch user will not get users and you have to manually select what that user watched and select unwatched as you have not gotten to watch it yet. Doing that is too much work for most people they are just going to open the app and start using it.

• Agree 1

byakuya32
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What exactly happened when you tried it?

It just keeps opening in the same user. It's been quite a while since I tried

darkassassin07
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, isn't this accomplished by unchecking Remember Me?

This means every user now has to use their long-form password instead of a pin code.

Shared devices (consoles + TVs) should not return to the last used user; they should always ask whos using the device/which profile to load, requesting the users pin if set or the users password otherwise.

This is by far my biggest gripe with the change in login; shared devices act like single-user personal devices now.

darkassassin07
1 minute ago, byakuya32 said:

And not ask for password on lan option seems to have been removed aswell

This is intentional.

You are required to use a password at minimum; optionally you can use a pin to secure apps you've signed into without requiring your password again.

Allowing no password on LAN was leveraged to compromise a number of emby servers last year so has been removed.

byakuya32
7 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

What app/device is this request for? Some can already launch to a screen showing all users where you select.

Android TV

5 minutes ago, byakuya32 said:

Android TV

That option is in the app Startup settings - Show login screen. It will show the users and if logged in already you can pick/switch to any. If not logged in yet they may show a lock on the image. I don't know how it looks if any of the users have a PIN.

12 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

Android TV

This is already possible now as described by Q-droid.

12 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

This means every user now has to use their long-form password instead of a pin code.

No it doesn't. 

darkassassin07
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

No it doesn't. 

How does one use a pin code while not using 'remember me'?

Edited by darkassassin07

12 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

How does one use a pin code while not using 'remember me'?

Have you tried it (in the Android TV or Roku app)?

darkassassin07

No, I have neither of those devices. Been waiting for an elusive update to xbox one.

I'm just familiar with the instructions that have been provided to anyone confused about the changes to pin login over the last few months, ie: The pin option is only available once signed in with a password, checking 'remember me'.

13 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

I'm just familiar with the instructions that have been provided to anyone confused about the changes to pin login over the last few months, ie: The pin option is only available once signed in with a password, checking 'remember me'.

With the new profile PIN feature the behavior of "Remember Me" has been modified to mean "automatically log me back in".  All the apps should be only forcing full authentication on each device once and then it is remembered after that (unless you specifically log out). 

byakuya32
1 hour ago, ebr said:

With the new profile PIN feature the behavior of "Remember Me" has been modified to mean "automatically log me back in".  All the apps should be only forcing full authentication on each device once and then it is remembered after that (unless you specifically log out). 

is there a way to hide some accounts from the screen on the shared device thn so that only the accounts that share that device show and not everyones?

Edited by byakuya32

darkassassin07
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Does this mean if a user logs into a device, explicitly doesn't check 'remember me', and selects 'no' when asked if they'd like to use a pin; they will have their account remembered (and require no authentication to access) until they remember to log out manually?

That's quite different than most login systems... Few would expect that behaviour.

Edited by darkassassin07

5 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

is there a way to hide some accounts from the screen on the shared device thn so that only the accounts that share that device show and not everyones?

Yes, check the appropriate box on the user setup screen.  Choose "Hide this user from login screens on devices they have not logged into".

3 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

they will have their account remembered (and require no authentication to access) until they remember to log out manually?

Yes.

3 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

That's quite different than most login systems... Few would expect that behaviour.

I don't think it is in the world of media apps.  With Netflix or Amazon etc. you log in once and then never again on that device (unless you explicitly log out).

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes.

I don't think it is in the world of media apps.  With Netflix or Amazon etc. you log in once and then never again on that device (unless you explicitly log out).

With netflix you login once on a device then it brings to to the page to select profile then pick your show or movie

darkassassin07

In those cases, you are logging into a single account which is remembered; then freely switching between users of that account. There isn't an expectation that the user profiles require further authentication to switch to.

With emby, each individual user has seprate authentication as it's a separate account; and it's long been the norm that unchecking 'remember me' means the account/user will not be logged in anymore once the app has closed.

Then there's the discontinuity between apps where there's one behavior in some places but a very different behavior in ohers.

Spit balling an example here:

I don't use android tv or Roku, so I'm not familiar with their differing functionality. Before this conversation; if I had gone to a friends house to watch a movie and they had an android tv, I would have just downloaded the app and signed in to my server+user but made sure to not check 'remember me'. 

My expectation here would be that I can now close the app and it will no longer be logged into my user. Especially as this is the behaviour of the apps I do use.

I may have double checked that it had signed out and/or manually signed out, just because I'm careful, but I may not have. If not, my account would no longer be secure.

Edited by darkassassin07

😲

Wait - so if I login to an App and do NOT select 'remember me' - it totally ignores this request and still remembers the password until I forcefully logout ?

As @darkassassin07says above - this is not normal behaviour as is extremly misleading ... 

IF there was not an option to 'remember me' - THEN the behavior is expected - and the resposibility is on the user to logout if they wish to keep their account secure - that approach is fine - but don't offer a user decision and then ignore it !

• Agree 4