4.8.0.5 Some Collections are side scrolling

jiggity

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Actually, this has been an issue for years where one app does one thing and the others do not.  So, everyone wants to compare Android to everything else.  There is no universal dev standpoint across all platforms just similarities.   So, if the time was taken to add to one then why not all?

Understand, but for this particular issue its obvious. One dev worked with users to provide a usable design, another dev decides to ignore users. It's incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1

rexerm
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Actually, this has been an issue for years where one app does one thing and the others do not.  So, everyone wants to compare Android to everything else.  There is no universal dev standpoint across all platforms just similarities.   So, if the time was taken to add to one then why not all?

As an end user, it also results in some confusion. I, my friends, and family use Emby on a number of devices and Collections are now all over the place:

Old Collections design:
Android TV (with a button)
Samsung
Roku

New Collections design:
Android
Web browser
Emby Theater

Happy2Play
Just now, rexerm said:

As an end user, it also results in some confusion. I, my friends, and family use Emby on a number of devices and Collections are now all over the place:

Old Collections design:
Android TV (with a button)
Samsung
Roku

New Collections design:
Android
Web browser
Emby Theater

Very true as every client has to be updated with every change.  Then app stores taking months to approve update or if they even support updates for device at all (Samsung).  So I guess Emby is just doing to many updates where server and client are always out of alignment unless you are manually updating clients but that is not possible across the board either do to private code.

So the days of every client being up to date and alike no longer exist.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2024 at 1:57 PM, Happy2Play said:

But still unable to reproduce your issue in 4.8.5.0 so either something changed and you have delete and recreate the collection or there is a specific variable to the setup that I do not know how to reproduce.  I can reproduce on Movies in Beta but not TV.

I'm seeing this issue everywhere now in 4.8.6. 

image.thumb.png.381791680c364366569b858ddac0dcc8.png

@LukeCan you please fix this issue and switch back to vertical? I get what you're trying to do, but side scrolling 20+ items is terrible user experience.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, MBSki said:

image.thumb.png.381791680c364366569b858ddac0dcc8.png

@LukeCan you please fix this issue and switch back to vertical? I get what you're trying to do, but side scrolling 20+ items is terrible user experience.

And where is that?  Along with what client.  As the image does not really provide location only context of a scroller row.   

But issue everywhere is a different topic as this would only about Collections.

Edited by Happy2Play

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And where is that?  Along with what client.  As the image does not really provide location only context of a scroller row.   

But issue everywhere is a different topic as this would only about Collections.

It's when looking at collections anywhere collections are available (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, and Collections).

And that view is in web client.

2 hours ago, MBSki said:

I like repeatedly clicking to get to the end of a 92 item list, myself :)  No longer having my content in chronological order is just a bonus.

mcu.jpg

Edited by rexerm
  • Haha 1

In the 4.8.7 release that is currently rolling out, you should only be seeing Collections side scroll if they contain multiple types.

So for example, if a collection has only Movies, then it will just be one vertical list. If there are multiple types, then there will be the horizontal categories.

If you prefer just to have one large mixed list like before, then for the next release we'll add a user option to control that. Thanks.

• Thanks 4

Just now, Luke said:

If you prefer just to have one large mixed list like before, then for the next release we'll add a user option to control that. Thanks.

Can you make the user option like the ATV app does it where you can show all or show grouped please? That is the best UI as proven by the ATV app.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Woo-hoo!  Very happy to hear that.

tanStaafl

I just noticed the side scrolling, as my collections are not that large and only a few mixed.. but there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to which ones will scroll and which ones won't.. looked all over for a way to toggle.. no joy.

@LukeHaving an option to toggle between mixed-no side scroll or mixed-category side scroll would be the perfect solution for me, personally I like them mixed in chronological order since TV series are clearly marked it not like I won't be able to find them.

Thanks again for all the great work on EMBY over the years!!

1 minute ago, tanStaafl said:

I just noticed the side scrolling, as my collections are not that large and only a few mixed.. but there doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to which ones will scroll and which ones won't.. looked all over for a way to toggle.. no joy.

@LukeHaving an option to toggle between mixed-no side scroll or mixed-category side scroll would be the perfect solution for me, personally I like them mixed in chronological order since TV series are clearly marked it not like I won't be able to find them.

Thanks again for all the great work on EMBY over the years!!

HI, currently the rhyme or reason is that when a collection has mixed types, you'll get separate categories for each type. When it doesn't, it will scroll vertically like before.

tanStaafl

On closer inspection I see that now.. was just a bit frustrated with the side scroll, makes looking up items in collections like Marvel Universe a pain.

Hope to see that toggle in the future.

Thanks again!!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

HI, currently the rhyme or reason is that when a collection has mixed types, you'll get separate categories for each type. When it doesn't, it will scroll vertically like before.

@Luke Can you please respond to my question about the next release? Will the next release allow toggling between grouped and all items? A fixed option for one or the other is not a good idea. It should be a view option in the client.