Emby Server Backup Failures - Debian LINUX

OSBuckeyes4Life

OSBuckeyes4Life

I wanted to bring this back to the front to see if any assistance could be had here.  I am running a Linux box with Proxmox and have installed Emby via the Helper Script.  Background:  I was on a Windows box and migrated over to Linux.  I used that backup and it caused all sorts of issues, so before when the backup failed, I just thought that it was me because of the "Windows Backup".  So I finally got around to trying to fix this over the weekend.  I installed a new Emby Server in a brand new container.  Here are the steps that I took.

• Installed via script above on Debian Linux - New Container.
  • Updated Emby Server to 4.8.5.0.  Restarted.
  • Added Emby Premiere API key to server.
  • Ran a successful backup - No issues
  • Mounted File System (Synology) as /mnt/Synology
  • Added for Permissions, groupadd -g 10000 lxc_shares on the new container for access
  • Did a "usermod -aG lxc_shares emby" so that Emby had access from Debian to Synology
  • Validated that I had read write access.  All is good.

Once I got to this point I went ahead and added a library, /mnt/Synology/Videos/Cartoons and let it go over night to add.  It added all folders, and all scheduled tasks were successful.  I woke up this AM and the backup failed over night.  Here is the error that I see on the Dashboard.

Emby Server Backup Failed On Emby Server

Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown. at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(Int32 rc) at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseBackupImpl.Step(Int32 nPages) at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.Backup(SQLiteDatabaseConnection This, String dbName, SQLiteDatabaseConnection destConn, String destDbName) at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.Backup(SQLiteDatabaseConnection This, SQLiteDatabaseConnection destConn) at Emby.Sqlite.BaseSqliteRepository.BackupToFile(SQLiteDatabaseConnection sourceDb, String destinationFile, ILogger logger) at Emby.Sqlite.BaseSqliteRepository.BackupToFile(String file) at Emby.Sqlite.BaseSqliteRepository.BackupToDirectory(String directory) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.BackupDatabase(BaseSqliteRepository db, String destinationFolder) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.BackupDatabases(String destinationFolder) at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint.ExecuteBackup(PluginConfiguration configuration, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

I have also added the log file after trying to run the backup a few times.  Is this a known issue or something being worked on?  I have not been able to successfully run a backup.  I am storing the Backup files on the Synology and it is Read:Write Privileged so it is not an access problem.  Everything else seems to work flawlessly, just the backup issue that I am having.

Ryan Server Error Log

Q-Droid

I think this is something the dev team might have to address and document since Emby users are going to run backups to network storage. For many that's the whole point of having network storage. 

It looks like the new backups are using sqlite operations (at a glance, not certain) but sqlite devs tend to discourage its use on network storage. 

If you're certain that the emby runtime user has full access to the backup destination then consider using the nobrl mount option for your CIFS shares. Byte range locking shouldn't be a problem in the new .Net but it still comes up now and then. 

OSBuckeyes4Life

That is exactly why I put that haha.  Thanks Q-Droid.  I figured it was a limitation on Emby's side but didn't want to push blame or anything.  This sql was introduced like a year and half ago I believe and it has been broken since that change as these LINUX backups used to work.  I will try that but more mounts are not what I want as I like to keep a pretty tight shop on access/mount.  Does this need to be made into an Enhancement?  Anything I can help you with to assist on that?

Appreciate the response.  Cheers mate!

OSBuckeyes4Life

I have a battleship so please lean on me if you need any assistance testing this.  I can create an Emby sandbox and test stuff for you.

image.png

Q-Droid

You might have misunderstood. The Emby backup was overhauled for 4.8. The way it's done now could potentially run into problems with CIFS mounts but that's a sqlite issue, not Emby aside from them choosing this method. You don't have to create more mounts but add the nobrl option to the ones you already have. 

It might help but if it doesn't then it's something else causing the errors.