Some .ass subtitles display incorrectly.

KizunerE

KizunerE

O2T105C0P9ZYZDKZV.png.f3ac8bd53a26b27f72cb5796bf0cf017.png Some characters cannot be displayed. This issue occurs in both the Emby web player and the Android client. In other desktop players, you can install specific fonts to solve this problem. Does Emby have a similar feature to specify or install fonts needed for subtitles?

Does Emby have a similar feature to specify or install fonts needed for subtitles?

Hi, not currently, although it's always possible for the future. By the way this is the font that we're using:

https://github.com/satbyy/go-noto-universal

The GoNotoKurrent version (yes with a K).

KizunerE
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, not currently, although it's always possible for the future. By the way this is the font that we're using:

https://github.com/satbyy/go-noto-universal

The GoNotoKurrent version (yes with a K).

Is there any other way to solve this subtitle display issue?

visproduction

If the subtitles are separate files, then just open them all up at once in a good editor and replace the character that makes the box with a correct space character.

If the subtitles are embedded, you would need to pull them out first as separate files.

This doesn't really need to take a lot of time. Once the subtitles are .srt or .ass, you can search for all subtitles in a library at once, select the search result, dump all these files in an editor and do a global search replace, then save all.  It would take me perhaps 5 minutes to do a couple thousand files with subtitles.  I use Edit +.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:54 AM, KizunerE said:

Is there any other way to solve this subtitle display issue?

Does the .ass have it's own embedded font or no?

KizunerE
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Does the .ass have it's own embedded font or no?

The subtitles aren't embedding the font, but even when I use a tool to embed the font or change the font of the subtitles to Arial, the issue persists. Could it be due to a caching mechanism preventing the modified font from taking effect?

KizunerE
On 4/24/2024 at 4:04 AM, visproduction said:

If the subtitles are separate files, then just open them all up at once in a good editor and replace the character that makes the box with a correct space character.

If the subtitles are embedded, you would need to pull them out first as separate files.

This doesn't really need to take a lot of time. Once the subtitles are .srt or .ass, you can search for all subtitles in a library at once, select the search result, dump all these files in an editor and do a global search replace, then save all.  It would take me perhaps 5 minutes to do a couple thousand files with subtitles.  I use Edit +.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what should be replaced because the boxes in the .ass file are normal characters.

visproduction
5 hours ago, KizunerE said:

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what should be replaced because the boxes in the .ass file are normal characters.

K, Sometimes the encoding of the file is not ANSI or has some non UTF8 characters that look fine when you open the file in whatever you use to view the file, but there are still problems with the space character and often some other apostrophy and quotes ' ".  Try looking at the file in a proper text editor and not a word processor software, especially not the software used by Apple.  It's possible the software you are using to look at the file doesn't show the problems and the space character look fine, but they are not.

A proper text editor can strip out a space character that is invalid and replace it with a valid space.

See:
 https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Non+uTF8+encoded+files+have+space+characters&ia=web