Add support of embedded fonts into external ASS subtitles

YKEmbyMedia

YKEmbyMedia

Hi,

External ASS file has embedded fonts but they are not used while playback. I tested on both latest versions of Windows and Synology servers with playback via web (Chrome), and Android devices (samsung s23 smartphone and nvidia shield). For testing you can use attached file.

Note: I used a workaroung when subtitles file was muxed into mkv file and font files were added as attachment. That worked.

20240420_155146.jpg

20240420_155219.jpg

Grace and Frankie - S07E01 - The Roomies - Web-DL-SDR.netflix.ukr.forced.ass

visproduction

Related:
https://nikse.dk/subtitleedit/formats/assa
https://github.com/wyzdwdz/assfonts/blob/main/README.md

Forum entry of interest: https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/yr2kr5/ass_subtitle_issues/

So i myself use ass subtitles and on web browser they work great. Be sure you set a resolution on them in for example subtitle edit otherwise they wont show up

pwhodges

Although embedding fonts in an ass file is in the specification, it is rarely used or supported, it seems to me.  For instance, MKVToolnix will read the fonts when merging and add them as attachments, but when extracting ass subs from a merged file the fonts are ignored.

Since merging them fixes the issue, is there a reason not to?

Paul

YKEmbyMedia
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Although embedding fonts in an ass file is in the specification, it is rarely used or supported, it seems to me.  For instance, MKVToolnix will read the fonts when merging and add them as attachments, but when extracting ass subs from a merged file the fonts are ignored.

Since merging them fixes the issue, is there a reason not to?

Paul

Yes, I ofen find some errors in text or need to change a style a bit. And when it comes to hundreds of episodes, remuxing would takes ages. Unlike external subtitles files which I update in batch using a script.

Edited by YKEmbyMedia

Note: I used a workaroung when subtitles file was muxed into mkv file and font files were added as attachment. That worked.

Hi, so you're saying this works for you on android?

YKEmbyMedia
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, so you're saying this works for you on android?

Yes, it does when subtitles are muxed into mkv file and fonts are added as attachment. But when subtitles files are external with embedded fonts, it does not.

pwhodges

I have never seen this in real life - I know it's possible (and how to do it), but don't know how widely it's supported.

In over ten years collecting anime I've only seen a handful with ASS fonts presented separately, and these did not have embedded fonts - the fonts were presented in a folder alongside, or not at all.  I had to mux them into an mkv and, if the fonts were not provided, find them myself.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

YKEmbyMedia

I found a quick way to remux fiiles with updated subtitles files using custom scripts for mkvtoolmix. No need to support that) Thanks, anyway