Collections - *DON'T* group collection items by media type

rexerm

rexerm

With 4.8.4, Collections are suddenly split by media type. I hate this. Is there a way to undo this?  I want movies and episodes to be combined in chronological order, as before.

• Agree 1

rexerm
Posted (edited)

And, I really hate not having a full screen of collection items. Instead,  everything is in a line that needs a click on a > icon to scroll. Terrible.

Edit: Emby Collections have been a huge advantage over Plex, due to seamlessly integrating anything from any library. This has now been broken.

Edited by rexerm

Hi, an option to control this is certainly possible.

• Like 1

rexerm
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Please put this in the next version.  I really loved how emby formerly handled collections.  Ugh.... I am very disappointed.

rexerm
Posted (edited)

Because I've added an episode into this collection, it is completely awful to look at -- with required scrolling -- and does not place the episode in the proper order with the movies:

dceu.jpg

Edited by rexerm
  • Agree 1

rexerm
Posted (edited)

On the Emby client on the Nvidia Shield, there is an "All Items" button to show things as they used to be for Collections.  This in the web client version would be very welcomed.

Edited by rexerm

rexerm
Posted (edited)

And I see this is not limited to Collections, but affects People as well. Unacceptable!  Again, a huge strength -- for me -- over Plex was how Emby did not care what library content came from when it came to collecting things onto a page.

wes.jpg

Edited by rexerm

People items have always been separated, no?

• Agree 1

MBSki
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Users have been asking for this as an option from the beginning. That's why it was implemented with view options in ATV. Why would you put this out and not include options? 

It also needs movies and shows split apart...as an option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rexerm
6 hours ago, Luke said:

People items have always been separated, no?

Yes, that is correct.  My apologies, Luke, I was pretty grumpy about this last night. 

But, I do use Collections extensively for a variety of things and it is one of my favorite ways to organize in Emby.  This new view has impacted the usability of many of them pretty badly.  Examples would be:

• Christmas Episodes - because this contains both episodes and shorts (TV specials like Charlie Brown Christmas), I will not be able to scroll through the big list with the kids to pick out things to watch.
  • Directors - I like to have chronological lists of everything favorite directors have done. David Cronenberg, for example, is now broken because he has a TV episode in his collection.
  • Things to Show Friends - I have collections where I throw anything and everything I might want to watch when a friend visits. We can no longer scroll through the big list to browse.
  • MCU - I add individual TV seasons to the MCU collection to keep things in chronological order. This forces the "Movies & Shows" horizontal scrolling thing, which, among other things, makes getting to the end of this 71-item list painful.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

step55

I'm glad I saw this before allowing the update, else I'd be just as annoyed as rexerm. The changelog note "group collection items by media type" really doesn't do justice to the carnage that's been done here.

It's really disappointing that breaking changes to how we view our collections have been forced on us seemingly without consideration to how people might use the software in ways that aren't specifically the same as the developers expect.

1) It's incredibly useful to be able to mix content types.
2) Forced horizontal scrolling is a total blight!

You've mentioned that "an option to control this is certainly possible", but you don't say that you're actually going to restore the original functionality, or when.

Could you please give us some certainty here?

• Agree 3

MBSki

@step55I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Luke forced this on us, since that seems to be how he does things. But this one has already been done in ATV and users have made it clear that an option to group by media type needs to be an option!!! I don't understand why he just threw this out there without the option. Plus,  even the grouping is half assed. It's not even splitting movies and shows! What a horrible implementation.

• Like 1

rexerm
Posted (edited)

In looking closer at my MCU collection, I see the individual seasons I had added are now gone.  Apparently this function has been removed as well.  I see the relevant "season.nfo" files still have the <set> tag in them, but this now ignored. What a trainwreck.

Edit: still visible when using "All Items" on my Nvidia Shield, thankfully.

Edited by rexerm
  • Facepalm 1

MBSki
3 hours ago, rexerm said:

In looking closer at my MCU collection, I see the individual seasons I had added are now gone.  Apparently this function has been removed as well.  I see the relevant "season.nfo" files still have the <set> tag in them, but this now ignored. What a trainwreck.

Edit: still visible when using "All Items" on my Nvidia Shield, thankfully.

Ugh. @Lukecan you please make the necessary changes with group by media type?

1- Add seasons back 

2-Split movies and shows into their own groups.

3-Add an option to view all items like in ATV

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

SShzin

Easy enough to revert to a backup ( you do back your server up, right? ), downgrade and lock the version in.

I am in the same situation as rexerm -- I rely very heavily on collections to group both movies & episodes/shows together (ex. holidays, various franchises, special interests, etc), and loved seeing the full page of movie + TV media mixed together (and sorted).  It's basically the primary reason I use Emby.  In the new update I now just have two separate scroll bars with hundreds (1000+ in some cases) of items in each scroll area, with only about 6 visible at any given time before near-infinite scrolling is required.  Also, because they are separate, there is now no ability to sort movies + TV episodes + TV series together (ex. chronologically) as well.

Most of these movies & episodes are each used in multiple different collections, so creating separate libraries to group them would not work. 

The ability to switch back to the old collections display would be greatly appreciated!  Please let me know if there is any way I can help figure out a solution.

• Agree 1