TV/Movies not being found by Emby

williamdesousa

williamdesousa

As a Plex user for many years there are so many things to love and prefer about Emby. Was about to pull the trigger on a lifetime membership then decided to evaluate for another day and then I hit deal breaker issues.

A large amount of TV/shows are not being found at all. They are all correctly formatted with [Film Name] [Film year] / [TV show name] [TV show Season] [TV show Episode]. I've checked through Emby TV and Movie naming pages and these naming conventions are supported. I've further tried putting these files into subfolders and using different naming conventions but unfortunately Emby is just not seeing them. For context my files are all visible and correctly matched in Plex. Let's face it they are also in the format that 95% of torrent files are delivered in.

It's so disappointing as I absolutely love the Emby UI and playback features. Is there a solution?

Thx

ps. Movies/TV libraries don't update when media is removed from folders. I still have shows/movies displayed that were deleted  yesterday - and I've scanned library files several times.

Hello williamdesousa,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? Thanks !

williamdesousa

Hey @Luke

Some examples:

1. Young.Sheldon.S07E06.mkv
  2. Young.Sheldon.S07E07.mkv
  3. Young.Sheldon.S07E08.mkv
  4. Masters.of.the.Air.S01E01.mkv

I also added some old files that aren't .mkv;

1. Blackadder - S04E01 - Captain Cook.avi
  2. Strange.Angel.S01E01.mp4

Annoyingly Plex was able to see and correctly identify the above.

thx

How many Emby libraries have you created, and what folder paths are added to each one?

williamdesousa
Posted (edited)

8 libraries (4 movies, 4 TV).

each library uses the root of the folder containing the movies/TV

I tried adding unrecognised files to appropriately named folders but that didnt help...

Edited by williamdesousa

9 hours ago, williamdesousa said:

8 libraries (4 movies, 4 TV).

each library uses the root of the folder containing the movies/TV

I tried adding unrecognised files to appropriately named folders but that didnt help...

@williamdesousacan you please list out the folder paths that are added to each library? Thanks !

williamdesousa

Hey @Luke

Paths: 

1. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\MEDIA SERVER\FILMS
  2. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\MEDIA SERVER\TV

There are 4 other libraries in the Media Server folder and two others on separate drives:

E:\TV

F:\Movies

I have tested across all library folders and media is still not being seen.

sa2000

@williamdesousa I have setup test TV libraries using Emby Server 4.8.5 with the following test media files and in all 3 test libraries, all the episodes were identified and do show up

Test Library TV1 - Folder Path to Media Server\TV1

Media Server\TV1\Blackadder (1983)\Season 4\Blackadder - S04E01 - Captain Cook.mkv
Media Server\TV1\Masters of the Air (2024)\Season 1\Masters of the Air S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV1\Strange Angel (2018)\Season 1\Strange Angel S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV1\Young Sheldon (2017)\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E06.mkv
Media Server\TV1\Young Sheldon (2017)\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E07.mkv
Media Server\TV1\Young Sheldon (2017)\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E08.mkv

Test Library TV2 - Folder Path to Media Server\TV2

Media Server\TV2\Blackadder\Season 4\Blackadder - S04E01 - Captain Cook.mkv
Media Server\TV2\Masters of the Air\Season 1\Masters of the Air S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV2\Strange Angel\Season 1\Strange Angel S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV2\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E06.mkv
Media Server\TV2\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E07.mkv
Media Server\TV2\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young Sheldon S07E08.mkv

Test Library TV3 - Folder Path to Media Server\TV3

Media Server\TV3\Blackadder\Season 4\Blackadder - S04E01 - Captain Cook.mkv
Media Server\TV3\Masters of the Air\Season 1\Masters.of.the.Air.S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV3\Strange Angel\Season 1\Strange.Angel.S01E01.mkv
Media Server\TV3\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young.Sheldon.S07E06.mkv
Media Server\TV3\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young.Sheldon.S07E07.mkv
Media Server\TV3\Young Sheldon\Season 7\Young.Sheldon.S07E08.mkv

Would need to see the exact folder structure / naming for these shows in your library and also the emby server logs when scanning the library. See section on server logs here 

williamdesousa
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the further reply. Using your examples above I've tested by creating 2 additional folders for my media; 1 for TV show name and then a sub folder with the Season number. And yes it does work but... however thats gonna be a load of work for so many files and a pain going forward. So basically individual files can't be indexed unless they are in 2 additional folders?

Emby is pretty much better than Plex in most ways however Plex finds any file I throw at it without breaking a sweat. What are they doing differently and should Emby be doing the same?

Lets face it 99% of individual TV downloads are not delivered in the format that Emby wants although admittely it should be fine for season downloads as they generally come in a folder.

OK gonna play some more with this. I really appreciate all your help and support.

Edited by williamdesousa

Happy2Play

Only requirement for Emby is a Series folder per show, so no you cannot just drop any given episode in Emby and be recognized.

Real examples are needed it is really hard to know for sure what this means as that would be just filenames.  

On 4/19/2024 at 4:03 AM, williamdesousa said:

They are all correctly formatted with [Film Name] [Film year] / [TV show name] [TV show Season] [TV show Episode]

If that is the case Movies should be just fine but episodes will not work per what I said above.

guunter
9 hours ago, williamdesousa said:

Thanks for the further reply. Using your examples above I've tested by creating 2 additional folders for my media; 1 for TV show name and then a sub folder with the Season number. And yes it does work but... however thats gonna be a load of work for so many files and a pain going forward. So basically individual files can't be indexed unless they are in 2 additional folders?

Emby is pretty much better than Plex in most ways however Plex finds any file I throw at it without breaking a sweat. What are they doing differently and should Emby be doing the same?

Lets face it 99% of individual TV downloads are not delivered in the format that Emby wants although admittely it should be fine for season downloads as they generally come in a folder.

OK gonna play some more with this. I really appreciate all your help and support.

It sounds like you need to setup an ARR stack... Sonarr and Radarr are great for managing files and naming them properly.

• Agree 1

visproduction

Search for show data requires TV naming details. jaycedk mentioned this link above.  Search is coded to handle some things, but you cannot leave parts of a file name out. SA, your examples do not match the recommended file names.

This works for me:

L:\TV Series2\Star Trek Enterprise (2001-2005)\Star Trek Enterprise Season 1\Star Trek Enterprise S01E03.mp4