ASS subtitle problem in AV1 file

RafaG

visproduction

Rafa,

A m3u8 file is a playlist with links in the file to pull the video from somewhere else online.  VLC will play it by going out to the source and pulling the video down if it is available.  Often these playlist files timeout when the host site decides to update them to point to different files.  Emby is not playing it, I believe, because you didn't actually download the file.

Hope that helps.

RafaG

Hi,

My file is local to emby server. I use another computer in the same network (local) to watch this file through Emby Web client. I can use VLC over my local network to play the file without problems.

Thanks anyway 🙂

visproduction

My guess is that VLC handles m3u8 playlist files and goes to the correct local media file.  Emby is probably not doing that.  Open the m3u8 file to see the issue better.  It is usually just a list of other media file names that tells the software, go here and play it.
See: https://www.lifewire.com/m3u8-file-2621956

If you put the actual media .mkv file inside a designated library that Emby sees, then it should show up as an available media file.  Be sure to use the exact title with the year that imbd.com uses, with any extra - 720P like this.

Double Indemnity (1944) - 720P.mkv

Hope that helps.

Lessaj

I see a couple errors related to deleting a folder from transcoding-temp but I'm not sure if these errors really mean anything. Can you try clearing any folders in your transcoding-temp folder? Assuming no one has an active transcoding stream going it's safe to remove anything in that folder. Also, if you try to play without subtitles does it work? That's the reason for the transcode.

2024-04-17 09:08:35.221 Error EncodingManager: Unable to delete temp folder C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\DC5D96 due to Access to the path '\\?\C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\DC5D96' is denied., will try again.
2024-04-17 09:08:45.365 Error EncodingManager: Unable to delete temp folder C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\FA549F due to Access to the path '\\?\C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\FA549F\FA549F_Fonts' is denied., will try again.
TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported
TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError

RafaG
15 hours ago, visproduction said:

My guess is that VLC handles m3u8 playlist files and goes to the correct local media file.  Emby is probably not doing that.  Open the m3u8 file to see the issue better.  It is usually just a list of other media file names that tells the software, go here and play it.
See: https://www.lifewire.com/m3u8-file-2621956

If you put the actual media .mkv file inside a designated library that Emby sees, then it should show up as an available media file.  Be sure to use the exact title with the year that imbd.com uses, with any extra - 720P like this.

Double Indemnity (1944) - 720P.mkv

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I don't use any m3u8 file, this is something that Emby done by itself. I don't known why Emby server made a m3u8 file internaly, but there are not m3u8 file in my disk. My installation is easy, one Av1, 4k, MKV file in my Emby server and from an Emby server web client it's not played.

RafaG
14 hours ago, Lessaj said:

I see a couple errors related to deleting a folder from transcoding-temp but I'm not sure if these errors really mean anything. Can you try clearing any folders in your transcoding-temp folder? Assuming no one has an active transcoding stream going it's safe to remove anything in that folder. Also, if you try to play without subtitles does it work? That's the reason for the transcode.

2024-04-17 09:08:35.221 Error EncodingManager: Unable to delete temp folder C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\DC5D96 due to Access to the path '\\?\C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\DC5D96' is denied., will try again.
2024-04-17 09:08:45.365 Error EncodingManager: Unable to delete temp folder C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\FA549F due to Access to the path '\\?\C:\emby.windows\transcoding-temp\FA549F\FA549F_Fonts' is denied., will try again.
TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported
TranscodeReasons=SubtitleCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError

I try another approach, I stop Emby server, delete all temp files, I try again. Same result.

But, if I play without subtitules, work perfect.

New logs

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-89754351-2d74-4428-bacc-1f765a1c013b_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-eb6c8a9a-6283-415e-ac88-bb51f4ab72d9_1.txt

visproduction
9 hours ago, RafaG said:

Hi,

I don't use any m3u8 file, this is something that Emby done by itself. I don't known why Emby server made a m3u8 file internaly, but there are not m3u8 file in my disk. My installation is easy, one Av1, 4k, MKV file in my Emby server and from an Emby server web client it's not played.

Aha.  Interesting.  I did not know that.  Maybe the m3u8 reference in your log file is a result of the encoding to the temporary cache directory.  It would be nice to have that directory set to a separate, newer hard drive that is reasonable fast and make sure there is enough room.  A completely different drive for the transcoding directory, separate from any library, would make the transcoding interfere less with pulling library media. Does someone know how Emby uses m3u8 files?  I never run transcoding at all and so I never run into this.

Edited by visproduction

Lessaj

Okay I didn't think the error about deleting the temp folder really meant anything. Looks like this is a problem with transcoding the ASS subs, but it might be doing something that you can only see with some debug options enabled. If you have the Diagnostics Plugin installed try setting the trasncoding log level to debug information, hit save, reproduce the issue and provide the logs. Otherwise my recommendation is to get some SRT subs for this and you should be able to watch it just fine, those don't need to be burned in to the video.

12 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Aha.  Interesting.  I did not know that.  Maybe the m3u8 reference in your log file is a result of the encoding to the temporary cache directory.  It would be nice to have that directory set to a separate, newer hard drive that is reasonable fast and make sure there is enough room.  A completely different drive for the transcoding directory, separate from any library, would make the transcoding interfere less with pulling library media. Does someone know how Emby uses m3u8 files?  I never run transcoding at all and so I never run into this.

That's how it works when transcoding, it creates a "playlist" of TS files and it reads from the playlist, requesting TS segments when needed.

• Thanks 1

RafaG
Posted (edited)

Hi, same process, shutdown server, debug options, play file, new logs 🙂

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1f793dd4-4be7-4213-9446-3c4d88312884_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4e843fda-7f7e-4077-bb77-ef1bb5cf96e2_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a4f4ff5e-7572-46f0-913c-215385d8af04_1.txt

(thanks both of you for your support, I hope someone from emby team could see my logs)

Edited by RafaG

Lessaj

With the debugging enabled I can see that it's reading through the ASS subs but not particularly quickly though I'm not sure why. Again I'd recommend getting an SRT for this instead.

RafaG
Posted (edited)

I have the same file in 1080p h265 with same ASS subs, work perfect. The problem only exist with Av1 codec and ASS subs.

Edited by RafaG

Hi,

I have two files from same video, one is HEVC + ASS, other is AV1 with same ASS subtitles. Windows Emby Server 4.8.5.0, web windows client.

If I play HEVC file with or without subtitles everithing works fine. If I play AV1 witout subtitles, works, but with subtitules, don't work, I receive a message "there is not compatible transmisions availables". I attach logs and mediainfo from files.

Regards,

ffmpeg-transcode-a4f4ff5e-7572-46f0-913c-215385d8af04_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1f793dd4-4be7-4213-9446-3c4d88312884_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4e843fda-7f7e-4077-bb77-ef1bb5cf96e2_1.txt embyserver.txt AV1.txt HEVC.txt

Hi, is there something non-standard about this file? First we tried to direct play, but the browser video player raised an error because there was something about the file that it didn't like. So then we tried to switch to transcoding to be able to play, and it seems there was also a problem with that.

Another thing to try is disabling hardware transcoding and see if that helps.

I don't think so. I make both files with Handbrake. If I use VLC I don't have any problem, If I use Jellyfin server and web client, I don't have any problem. If I disable hardware transcoding I have the same problem, same error. If you need the file, I could send you

Yes, but the subject is not correct. When I wrote this post I don't know that the problem is related with ASS subtitules

Edited by RafaG

Hi,

Someone from emby' team could help me?

If I can play the file with other systems I think the problem is in emby. I think is related by how subtitules are handle by emby, but I can't do anymore. If anyone want the file, I can send it without problems to checkit.