ui/ux in general, focus on core

supermood

supermood

what I don't understand

reading feature requests here is just Latin for me

but the core of emby is, to my understanding, watching content.

and even after more than 6 years this is far away from being good, in terms of ui/ux and general logic. Some things are really beautiful! but only a few things are really designed for watching content

why is there still no setting to just use external srt subs? always. period. I've tried all combos and it's a mess. why are my organized srt subs have to be in the end of a line of sometimes 30 internal subs? I want to use them. that's why they are in the folder! 

it seems impossible to have a setting for sub positioning in the player. no, with every format change of the native content you have to adjust outside if you don't want to have them in the black or to high. 

why are there only 5 sizes and they are from the screen is full to is there anything. and with some clients the font is so ugly.

and if I change the setting outside arrow down on home is of course not bringing me back to my movie. no, it highlights content number 5. why? 

and if I press sub in the player the standard setting for highlighting is the sub which is running. who designs that? or better doesn't? why? turning it off means pressing up 30 times. 

and off set on bottom but download on top or vice versa and and and. endless ui ux topics and my usage scenario is so easy and so basic but it just looks like nobody from the devs is using emby? 

and off set. of course it's not saved so if you have a screensaver because you have an oled you can maintain that again and again and again. and again 

and turning off theme songs doesn't give you silence in every case. and I really don't know anymore how many times I checked the settings on all clients. 100 times! sometimes only reboot helps, not even leaving emby client stops the song. 

I'm not a ux pro but I think besides saving a lot of things pressing subs should be 

1. on off trigger (highlighted cursor / navigation starts here) 

2. offset 

3. position 

4. settings (size, color, dim, fonts, background ...) 

5. download 

5. to x, own srts 

6. to y, internal 

and pls. ex srt as standard! save off set! save choosen sub!!! position and settings inside player, more sizes / fine granulation, light Grey not only bright white / ore more dim, I don't see it

by the way, pressing pause should hide the sub I think, but don't know if that's possible

it seems impossible to have a setting for sub positioning in the player. no, with every format change of the native content you have to adjust outside if you don't want to have them in the black or to high. 

Hi there, have you explored the subtitle options?

why are there only 5 sizes and they are from the screen is full to is there anything. and with some clients the font is so ugly.

What 5 sizes are you referring to?

save choosen sub!!!

Hi, Emby supports remembering your chosen subtitles. Have you explored your emby user subtitle options?

and off set on bottom but download on top or vice versa and and and. endless ui ux topics and my usage scenario is so easy and so basic but it just looks like nobody from the devs is using emby? 

Hi, can you rewrite this sentence in a way that tis easier to understand? Thanks.

supermood
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, have you explored the subtitle options?

What 5 sizes are you referring to?

?? yes I've explored the subtitles options? of course.in my latest atv, android and LG TV I can not set the sub position in the player I have to go out to main settings and then sub preferences 

the 5 possible sizes of subs I can choose from 

supermood
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, Emby supports remembering your chosen subtitles. Have you explored your emby user subtitle options?

not working for me. and I have, as written, checked all possible  combinations of settings 

supermood
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you rewrite this sentence in a way that tis easier to understand? Thanks.

on 3 Player / clients pressing sub brings you 3 different lists of options with  offset, download,..... 

not one of that list is logical and ui friendly.

all 3 are different.

I've written a possible order. surely not 'the best', but better 

10 hours ago, supermood said:

not working for me. and I have, as written, checked all possible  combinations of settings 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

supermood
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Luke to which of my several ui things do you want an playback issue report? I'm writing about several topics you just have to open a client with the intention to watch a movie with an downloaded sub which is maybe not completely in sync and then make a break of some minutes. and then do that again with another movie and another srt.

there is no setting for always srt. there is not setting for saving maintained offset. there is no setting for position in the player. screenshots are impossible here. and for the different and unfriendly sub menus in the different player you just have to open them. 

7 minutes ago, supermood said:

Luke to which of my several ui things do you want an playback issue report? I'm writing about several topics you just have to open a client with the intention to watch a movie with an downloaded sub which is maybe not completely in sync and then make a break of some minutes. and then do that again with another movie and another srt.

there is no setting for always srt. there is not setting for saving maintained offset. there is no setting for position in the player. screenshots are impossible here. and for the different and unfriendly sub menus in the different player you just have to open them. 

When you stop the movie and come back and play later, the chosen subtitle is remembered, if enabled in user settings.

supermood

what do mean with user settings? there's only one user and the only thing this user is not allowed is social network sharing and transcoding. 

if you mean that client specific sub setting here that's of course set everywhere. but it's not working after stopping on atv with shield pro and it's also not working with switching device like starting in living and finishing in sleep..

I'm not even sure it's working anywhere in the moment, but yes I can remember there was at least one time in my life I was very surprised and happy to see my srt ;)

that's anyway only one topic of several. you could take a look and improve on many without me, no problem at all! if not then not life goes on. I think I've done my part reporting it... ;)

Screenshot_20240417_204311.jpg

Screenshot_20240417_204230.jpg

on 3 Player / clients pressing sub brings you 3 different lists of options with  offset, download,..... 

This I disagree with because it's giving you a list of subtitles to select. Having the download button there is helpful because it's a suggestion of where to get additional subtitles beyond the ones already listed.

The only one that I think you can argue that doesn't fit is the offset, but I think it's better putting everything subtitle related together rather than moving that one thing to the gear menu.

supermood

no sorry you don't understand my point in that part here. 

pressing sub in emby player should bring up the same possibilities in the same order. I have 3 different with 3 different clients. 

all are not well designed, as described 3 times here. but at least, make up your mind and then use this order in all players. 

and I will not discuss the current starting point at the bottom, highlighting my running srt. with that doing anything (on off, offset, download new, whatever, means pressing up x times). it's just not a good design