Remote access setup

Navyvet1963

Navyvet1963

I've read many things on setting up for remote access and have never been able to get it going. I decided to try again and eventually I would like to use Wireguard as my VPN. I know that wireguard is doable because I had Plex up and running in about ten minutes. Some help with the configuration would be much appreciated. Oh I'm on windows 10 and 11.

Edited by Navyvet1963

Hello Navyvet1963,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

52 minutes ago, Navyvet1963 said:

I went through the steps and no go.

What exactly did you do? What exactly happened?

djerniehoule

Hello, I am having issues setting up remote access to my emby server. It works flawlessly if I use plex, and with plex I never made any changes to my router. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I have followed steps that I see in Emby posts, but it sill does not work..

pwhodges

Plex is likely routing your connection through its own servers.

Emby doesn't invade your privacy like that, but it means you have to do some setting up to make a direct connection from outside work.  How much will depend on your router and the options your ISP allows.  Go through the guide here:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

(though I'd do the test at the end for cgNAT first, noting that the text is missing that addresses starting with 100.64. to 100.127. are also likely to indicate cgNAT)

If you still have a problem, come back here and we can discuss it in more detail.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
gonavy63
On 4/5/2024 at 2:25 AM, pwhodges said:

Plex is likely routing your connection through its own servers.

Emby doesn't invade your privacy like that, but it means you have to do some setting up to make a direct connection from outside work.  How much will depend on your router and the options your ISP allows.  Go through the guide here:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

(though I'd do the test at the end for cgNAT first, noting that the text is missing that addresses starting with 100.64. to 100.127. are also likely to indicate cgNAT)

If you still have a problem, come back here and we can discuss it in more detail.

Paul

I have some time to try this again so here goes. I did port forward, verified ip on canyouseeme.org and it''s correct how ever it fails do to time out. I also did the cgNat scan and  these are the results after the first. It looks to me to be fine. Not being blocked. However still a no go.

Hi, can you show us how you configured port forwarding?

gonavy63
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you show us how you configured port forwarding?

Here you go.

Capture.PNG

What is the external address field for in the port forwarding setup?

gonavy63

not sure this is what you mean.... 192.168.88.254 This is the router

Edited by gonavy63

Did you type in that value? Can it be left blank?

Lessaj

Is this your own router? Do you have an ISP provided modem/router combo that is in front of this device? In my case I do and I have to set up port forwarding on the ISP modem/router to forward to my pfSense device, which then also has its own NAT/firewall rules to continue to forward the port.

gonavy63

that is the default router assigned value. it is not an isp supplied router. Not sure about another isp supplied so I will look into it further.

pwhodges
2 hours ago, gonavy63 said:

I also did the cgNat scan and  these are the results after the first. It looks to me to be fine. Not being blocked. However still a no go.

Are those the first three lines? - an address starting with 10. is bad news.

Paul

gonavy63

The first was the gateway. those three were next. So I misunderstood. 10 is not ideal. That sucks but it explains things.

Edited by gonavy63

Has this helped you resolve your issue?

gonavy63

Now I know that the problem is cgNat but not sure what to do about it. Haven't had enough time to look into it further. Possibly this weekend. Your input has been appreciated.

1 hour ago, gonavy63 said:

Now I know that the problem is cgNat but not sure what to do about it. Haven't had enough time to look into it further. Possibly this weekend. Your input has been appreciated.

A lot of users have reported a positive experience with TailScale. Please let us know how things go. Thanks.

sross44
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

A lot of users have reported a positive experience with TailScale. Please let us know how things go. Thanks.

@gonavy63Tailscale as @Luke said is a great solution to this. Easy to setup and get running. More than happy to help if you need it. 

• Thanks 1

pwhodges

Some users have also had success simply asking their ISP for a routed IP address (i.e. not subject to cgNAT).

Paul

• Agree 1