Adding

thejra

thejra

Problem: Emby is adding videos from folders in a seemingly random order, even though the videos' file names have numbers at the start.

Basically, I have a number of training courses in a folder structure.  I want a playlist for each of the courses with their modules in the correct order.

The folder structure is...

• COURSE ABC [Folder]
    • 0. Module One [Folder]
      • 0. First vid.mp4
      • 1. Second vid.mp4
      • 2. Third vid.mp4
    • 1. Module Two [Folder]
      • 0. First vid.mp4
      • 1. Second vid.mp4
      • 2. Third vid.mp4

etc.

If I add the top level course folder to a playlist, the modules and the videos get added in a mixed up order.  If I add just a Module Folder then the videos are added in a random order.

Example:

image.png.6f771ae5ea68d089fb251c62b7b3dc54.png

The questions is - How can I create a playlist or some other way of watching each course in the correct module order?

Thanks!

Hello thejra,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

jaycedk

What library content type are you using ?

image.png.c933927d7fcdacb2a3c32472414ac32f.png

thejra
2 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

What library content type are you using ?

image.png.c933927d7fcdacb2a3c32472414ac32f.png

Home videos & photos

jaycedk

How is your sort order ?

You can right click, and add them to a playlist, old or new playlist.

From there you can sort them too. 

thejra
Just now, jaycedk said:

How is your sort order ?

You can right click, and add them to a playlist, old or new playlist.

From there you can sort them too. 

"Playlist Order".  I can't sort after they're added because multiple files in the playlist have the same number prefix (which they had when they were in their original folders).  If I did it would put all of the "1. Video One"'s together at the top, then all the "2. Video Two"s.

jaycedk

Well in that case you would need to add them to playlist in the sort order you want.

image.png.b3fbd55bce929aef7705e53d9a3041ab.png

And you can drag and drop them into order to.

image.png.e15afe59c12e47f268dc2599a4abcc91.png

thejra
4 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Well in that case you would need to add them to playlist in the sort order you want.

image.png.b3fbd55bce929aef7705e53d9a3041ab.png

And you can drag and drop them into order to.

image.png.e15afe59c12e47f268dc2599a4abcc91.png

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, but I can't do that.  Once they're in a playlist I cannot tell which order they should be in because there's nothing in the file name/title to tell me...
image.thumb.png.b5d44c5c642a919eb6e8775aa763d325.png

If I drag a folder into Apple TV (iTunes), or VLC, or Quicktime, or any other program on earth - it will add the files into its playlist in the filename order.  Why is Emby randomising it??

Happy2Play

Not really enough info as I dropped a parent folder if images into a playlist they all remained sequentially named.  Guess I will have to find a cource module that I can possibly test with as I have never added any material like this to Emby.

jaycedk

If you right click the item, then edit metadata you can see the path.

And drag it to its right order.

Its cumbersome but doable.

thejra
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not really enough info as I dropped a parent folder if images into a playlist they all remained sequentially named.  Guess I will have to find a cource module that I can possibly test with as I have never added any material like this to Emby.

That's really strange.

When you say you "dropped a parent folder".  Are you doing this via a web browser?  What exactly did you do?

Nothing special about these courses - just a single folder (course) containing a number of subfolders (modules), each module folder containing a number of videos.   All of the modules and videos are sequentially numbered "0. first file", "1. second file".

jaycedk

You could also try this folder structure.

The folder structure is...

• COURSE ABC [Folder]0. Module One [Folder]

10. First vid.mp4

11. Second vid.mp4

12. Third vid.mp4

• 1. Module Two [Folder]

20. First vid.mp4

21. Second vid.mp4

22. Third vid.mp4

And then edit the name in metadata.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, thejra said:

When you say you "dropped a parent folder".  Are you doing this via a web browser?  What exactly did you do?

Went to folder view and picked a folder and added to a playlist.  But will have to retest as there weren't any nested folders just sequential files.

thejra
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Went to folder view and picked a folder and added to a playlist.  But will have to retest as there weren't any nested folders just sequential files.

Yes - that's exactly what I'm doing.   Weirdly though, if I do that on a Module folder (rather than a Course folder) they are still in the wrong order.  Sounds like it worked for you, though.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, thejra said:

Yes - that's exactly what I'm doing.   Weirdly though, if I do that on a Module folder (rather than a Course folder) they are still in the wrong order.  Sounds like it worked for you, though.

Have no issue here

image.png.8bd41990b950bf796f634e85e0a39c6e.png

image.png.4f4d458a3d54f72c0fcb710e8524e3d1.png

Playlist from Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended Essentials DVD folder so it started with Chapter 4 then chapter 5 and so one.

image.png.51a204d9031950d4ced44a58e5133201.png

thejra
35 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Have no issue here

image.png.8bd41990b950bf796f634e85e0a39c6e.png

image.png.4f4d458a3d54f72c0fcb710e8524e3d1.png

Playlist from Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended Essentials DVD folder so it started with Chapter 4 then chapter 5 and so one.

image.png.51a204d9031950d4ced44a58e5133201.png

Right, thank you!  

So either it’s because Emby doesn’t recognise the  the 0. 1. 2. Etc Prefix (would you kindly try?), or there’s a bug.

jaycedk

You could try with folder name

First Course

Second Course

Third Course

Etc.

It should give you the same.

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, thejra said:

Right, thank you!  

So either it’s because Emby doesn’t recognise the  the 0. 1. 2. Etc Prefix (would you kindly try?), or there’s a bug.

Is that the exact naming and structure you have above?

19 minutes ago, thejra said:

Right, thank you!  

Okay grouping (same filename) happens when you lose structure via a flat playlist to be expected to me but I am not the dev.  But have no idea how your are getting the order you are.

Used exact structure/naming from first post.

image.png.af7810d9e9a37067bea55fbf0094549a.png

#EXTM3U
#PLAYLIST:test sequence 2
#EXTINF:0,0. First vid
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\0. First vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\0. First vid.strm
#EXTINF:0,1. Second vid
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm
#EXTINF:0,2. Third vid
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\2. Third vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\2. Third vid.strm

So the question becomes what order should items be imported into a playlist from a NESTED structure? 

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

I guess in theory with same named content you have to build your playlist folder by folder.  But still have no distinction of what module is what per naming scheme.

As my Adobe example has files named to their chapter so proper order is maintained.

Edited by Happy2Play

thejra
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Is that the exact naming and structure you have above?

Okay grouping (same filename) happens when you lose structure via a flat playlist to be expected to me but I am not the dev.  But have no idea how your are getting the order you are.

Used exact structure/naming from first post.

image.png.af7810d9e9a37067bea55fbf0094549a.png

#EXTM3U
#PLAYLIST:test sequence 2
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\0. First vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\0. First vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\2. Third vid.strm
E:\Media\Photo\Test Sequence folder\COURSE ABC [Folder]\0. Module One [Folder]\2. Third vid.strm

So the question becomes what order should items be imported into a playlist from a NESTED structure? 

Ok, first things first - here is an exact example structure...

image.png.f7ab909cb42e87a9d0fa3780d9cb8667.png

To your point about nesting, here's what happens if I add just a SINGLE folder to a playlist...

image.thumb.png.61629993e06f62abeccd066322cd0050.png

You can see that even with a single folder (the exact "What is Accounting" folder from the first screenshot above), that the order is incorrect.

This would not be a problem if I only wanted to add one folder because I could just sort the playlist by by Title (which if I do, it orders them correctly), but as soon as I add a second folder to the playlist (the files of which will also be added in a seemingly random order) I can then no longer sort the playlist by name because all the 1's will bunch together and all the 2's etc (as you state).

Therefore I cannot add folders either recursively or individually.

In a home videos library, those numbers in the file name are not used. They are just part of the title as text. You may want to check the sort title values in the metadata editor for these videos.