constant crashing after video plays

Nillows

Nillows

i just bought emby premiere after having such a good experience my first week, but my raspberry pi crashes whenever i play a video from the wan.

pi is raspberry pi 5b 
media is housed on powered usb bus.
harddrives are pinned in fstab into /var/lib/emby/media/

any help would be great

embyserver.txt

Nillows

i manually switched over the log file, loaded up an episode of mr robot until it died. restarted my pi. the below is my log file.

embyserver (2).txt

Hi, are you able to update to Emby Server 4.8.3 and see how things compare?

Nillows
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you able to update to Emby Server 4.8.3 and see how things compare?

i did update it to the latest version. its now crashing whenever i enable subtuitles, so i assume it is some kind of transcoding issue. i am in the rpocess of swapping the .mkv files i have into .mp4 containers to see if that fixes the issue. moveies now crash the moment i enable subtitles

On 3/9/2024 at 12:30 PM, Nillows said:

i did update it to the latest version. its now crashing whenever i enable subtuitles, so i assume it is some kind of transcoding issue. i am in the rpocess of swapping the .mkv files i have into .mp4 containers to see if that fixes the issue. moveies now crash the moment i enable subtitles

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from an example of this? Thanks.

Nillows
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from an example of this? Thanks.

i believe it is an issue with transcoding. the crash only happens when i play with a web browser. is there any literature regarding hardware specs needed to transcode smoothly? its workign great after i updated to latest and used only the emby app.

You should be able to transcode with the rpi5, especially considering you can do that with the rpi4. Can you provide a new log example now that you have updated? Thanks.

Nillows
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

You should be able to transcode with the rpi5, especially considering you can do that with the rpi4. Can you provide a new log example now that you have updated? Thanks.

after the update, it is no longer crashing in chrome! however it does freeze permanently when i enable some subtitles (but not all), making it so i have to go back a page and reload the movie with those settings from the get go.

embyserver (4).txt

• 3 weeks later...
Lurtz
On 3/11/2024 at 8:53 PM, Luke said:

They dropped hardware support for decoding with the raspberry pi 5.

I am one of those very disappointed buyers who thought that raspberry pi 5 would be an upgrade in every possible way in comparison to the raspberry pi 4.

To play media on a raspberry pi 5 the server needs to be able to do the transcoding.

To play media on any other devices where the raspberry pi 5 is the media server will cause a lot of problems with lag and mega high CPU load. Unless that media client is able to do the decoding of the video file itself.

For example if you have a raspberry pi 5 as a media server then all the connected clients must be raspberry pi 4. 

The whole idea about having a small and neat setup with a small board devices such as raspberry pi for NAS+media server+media client is not optimal in the real world. It could have been if they weren't so stupid to drop the hardware support for encoding/decoding on the raspberry pi 5. The other devices have a much weaker CPU and no real support for nvme devices making them less than ideal for the subject. 

In addition to this the software for raspberry pi family is not great either, sure you can get Plex and whatever running on a raspberry pi, addons for Kodi etc. But they are not built for the soul purpose to run on a raspberry pi. 

Getting a real NAS with 4k decoding/transcoding is probably a whole lot better. Or a x86 computer where you can run windows or Linux on with software aimed to run on this platform and hardware.

Sadly enough.

• Thanks 1