The position of ass subtitles is affected by the progress bar

nightrain01

nightrain01

In the web client, the position of the ass subtitles will rise and shrink due to the appearance of the progress bar.

On other clients, such as ios clients, there is no such problem.

Is there an option to achieve the same effect with the web client.

Hello nightrain01,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

That can happen with SRT subs, but I've never seen it with ASS - are you sure the subs actually are ASS?

Here's a random image showing ASS subs not moving for the progress bar in the web client:

image.jpeg.d6a9d85064acefe750aa5daa3f4ef1c6.jpeg

Paul

nightrain01

I'm sure it's ASS subtitles and this doesn't happen on the ios client.

The screenshot below shows a comparison with and without the progress bar.

2024-02-21210126.thumb.png.ce4edbe606bcf84de9eede815eda9f01.png

2024-02-21210140.thumb.png.5a543ab06eb738cb4bd2d26edbe526e9.png

pwhodges

Do you have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled? - I don't, which ensures that the subs are passed without modification:

image.jpeg.d42066f39bd4b24fd614c60316db081b.jpeg

Paul

nightrain01

I tried to disable this option and it worked in some of the videos.
But in some of the videos with ASS subtitles, it still appears as before. And some of the videos appeared unplayable.

nightrain01

I remembered that this was not the case in past versions, so I tried the older version 4.8.0.20.
In fact, in this version, even if I enable "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly", the ASS subtitles appear in the right place.
Maybe there needs to be an option to enable legacy mode?

So yes this is a new thing, but isn't it nice how it pushes the subtitles up so that they're not covered by the video controls?

pwhodges

A key feature of ASS subs is the precision with which they can be positioned on the screen - especially, but not solely, when applied to signs and other on-screen items.  It is no business of the player to change that.  The video controls are normally only present if the user is doing something other than watching with full attention, so the overlay causes no problem in practice.

Paul

• Agree 1

nightrain01

Yes, in practice, the occlusion of video controls does not interfere with viewing.
Since the video controls are semi-transparent at about the subtitle position, I can still recognize the subtitles even when they are obscured.
But the new subtitle push-up feature feels like it's shrinking the canvas where the ASS subtitles are located. This makes the font size of the subtitles smaller as well, making them more difficult to read.
Is there an option to disable this feature in the current version? If there is currently no option for this, could it be made available in a later version?

• 1 month later...
baiguke
On 2/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, nightrain01 said:

Yes, in practice, the occlusion of video controls does not interfere with viewing.
Since the video controls are semi-transparent at about the subtitle position, I can still recognize the subtitles even when they are obscured.
But the new subtitle push-up feature feels like it's shrinking the canvas where the ASS subtitles are located. This makes the font size of the subtitles smaller as well, making them more difficult to read.
Is there an option to disable this feature in the current version? If there is currently no option for this, could it be made available in a later version?

+1

visproduction

Bai,

You can try adding this to your custom.css.  Currently the subtitles-window-bottom: 10%; which is why it moves around.

html {
	--subtitles-window-bottom: 10px;
}

Happy2Play

Is this only an issue when transcoding?