Multichannel Audio problem and UI update request!

Grantzke

Grantzke

Good evening! I recently got a new apple tv, upgrading from my old roku, and wow I think that yall have done a really good job with the app. I like how it looks so much better than the roku client, but have a frustration which I will detail below:

1. I like to use my airpods to watch with spatial audio after quiet hours in my apartment. Obviously, this was not possible with the roku player, so it is not a big deal if it doesnt end up working, but I cant get it to work properly whatsoever in the emby player. i have tried with both the native player and mpv, but both only output stereo (according to apples control center headphone section.) I have also tried the setting that mixes everything to 5.1 to no avail. When i play the same file from my emby server on infuse, it works seamlessly. as of now, i do not have a receiver to test if it is just an airpods thing, but it is strange to me that it works perfectly in infuse and does not work in the native app.

2. the HDR switching does not work on the emby app. 95% of my files are in SDR, so I like to keep my apple tv on 4k 60 SDR, and allow it to modify when HDR content is played, however it does not change when I play HDR content on the emby app. similarly to the other case, the infuse app just works.

3. the subtitle issue has been brought up so much i wont even touch on it.

4. the other apps of yours that i have used have had a lot more customization features in them. for instance, filtering by resolution/audio format/etc. is this in the near future for apple tv, or is it like a software limitation that i should just get used to?

5. i seem to remember a time where trailers from youtube would play within the app, instead of prompting me to open youtube. is this a bug or did youtube trailer support get removed?

keep up the good work though! I think that if these few issues could be addressed, this app could go from good to fantastic. its a bit sad to see that the two options for apple tv are either a fantastic player with horrible organization (infuse), or a fantastic organization tool with a player that needs work (emby)

4. the other apps of yours that i have used have had a lot more customization features in them. for instance, filtering by resolution/audio format/etc. is this in the near future for apple tv, or is it like a software limitation that i should just get used to?

hi, yes we are working on getting the Emby Apple TV app caught up.

5. i seem to remember a time where trailers from youtube would play within the app, instead of prompting me to open youtube. is this a bug or did youtube trailer support get removed?

Unfortunately not currently possible on apple tv. Google does not provide a developer SDK for apple TV, so the best we can do is pop open the YouTube app.

On many other platforms though we are able to.

Keep in mind, you can still use your own local trailer files:

Trailers

• 4 weeks later...
svaughan17

Chiming in too, this is a needed feature; Spatial Audio. It is showing as STEREO for the output when headphones are engaged. I just upgraded my AppleTV to the latest 4K instead of using my LG TV app, so seeing spatial audio would be necessary. Is there some codec issue that is causing Stereo to be output when headphones are engaged? An update on this would be helpful to understand why this is behaving in this way. Do you have a current triage on this?

• 3 weeks later...
Kyouma
On 2/23/2024 at 8:37 AM, Luke said:

hi, yes we are working on getting the Emby Apple TV app caught up.

Hi, i recently made the switch from fire tv to Apple tv and I'm missing some features the fire tv had.

For example, a dedicated button to switch to the next episode and not have to wait for the pop up (if i missed it please let me know). 

Also the handling with the chapters is more convenient on the fire tv app (just press up) than the apple tv (press down twice, press right to switch to the chapters section and press down again).

Are these things that you're planning to improve?

Edited by Kyouma

Hi, yes we are working on improving it and getting it caught up to our other apps. Thanks for the feedback.

TroyKing
On 3/25/2024 at 5:54 PM, Luke said:

Hi, Emby integrates mpv for playback and it looks like it finally has some movement on this: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/11955

So hopefully in the near future we'll get that via an updated version.

Will this also help with Dolby Atmos support?

On 4/18/2024 at 11:08 PM, TroyKing said:

Will this also help with Dolby Atmos support?

We'll be integrating this soon and then we'll find out.