DVR re-recording episodes already in library when it shouldn't

sjabaker
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

richt

How about running a beta instance in a docker container for the sole purpose of recording missing episodes?

scott46953

Can you clone your docker container first?

If so then clone it, then save it unhooked Incase you want to go back. 

Then install the beta over your running copy just like an update.

I usually clone the whole drive and just swap the whole thing out if needed

Ronstang

I've never been able to rely on emby to skip episodes I already have and record those I don't.  It simply doesn't work.  Every time I rely on emby to do this it misses episodes I don't have and records ones I do have.  I have tried this feature many times and it always fails me.  

I think the biggest problem is the guide identifies an episode as from a certain season and episode that is completely different from how it is listed in any of the scrapers.  Thus, I have to double check after I encode and move the episodes that the season and eipisode numbers match the scrapers so they get properly identified when I add them to my TV folder.  So now, they show properly but emby either re-records stuff you have, or misses ones you don't have.  At least part of this problem seems to be the guide is wrong.

scott46953

I have noticed it depends on which guide you use., even though all the guys have the same name on the TV show, if I use emby guide it seems to keep track better. But if I use an external XML guide it seems to not never hardly match up with still emby guide, so then I end up with recordings that I already have or two separate TV shows of the same TV show.,. Even though they both have the same name, it may have one character slightly off...

sward
12 hours ago, scott46953 said:

Can you clone your docker container first?

If so then clone it, then save it unhooked Incase you want to go back. 

Then install the beta over your running copy just like an update.

I usually clone the whole drive and just swap the whole thing out if needed

Sorry man - shouldn't have to go through all of this just to keep Emby from re-recording episodes! That's like a major project!

sward
11 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I've never been able to rely on emby to skip episodes I already have and record those I don't.  It simply doesn't work.  Every time I rely on emby to do this it misses episodes I don't have and records ones I do have.  I have tried this feature many times and it always fails me.  

I think the biggest problem is the guide identifies an episode as from a certain season and episode that is completely different from how it is listed in any of the scrapers.  Thus, I have to double check after I encode and move the episodes that the season and eipisode numbers match the scrapers so they get properly identified when I add them to my TV folder.  So now, they show properly but emby either re-records stuff you have, or misses ones you don't have.  At least part of this problem seems to be the guide is wrong.

Correct, one of the scrapers should be accessing the exact same EPG that's used to schedule the recordings in the first place. That would GUARANTEE you're not re-recording episodes. FRONTLINE is a prime example of how season and episode numbers are labeled completely different in the scheduler vs any of the scrapers.

Edited by sward

sward
11 hours ago, scott46953 said:

I have noticed it depends on which guide you use., even though all the guys have the same name on the TV show, if I use emby guide it seems to keep track better. But if I use an external XML guide it seems to not never hardly match up with still emby guide, so then I end up with recordings that I already have or two separate TV shows of the same TV show.,. Even though they both have the same name, it may have one character slightly off...

It should still get it right so long as season and episode numbers are correct, however there seems to be disagreement between the EPG and some of the scrapers on something this basic. It depends on the show of course.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:16 PM, Luke said:

This is in the 4.9 beta channel by the way.

We should have this change in the stable channel this upcoming week. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

scott46953

Everybody's right, the way I see it on my side is, if I use the EPG supplied by emby on one of my iptv providers, I have to stick with that, but if I use an EPG supplied by an external link, the names are the same, the episode numbers are the same, but photos that go with the TV shows are different. The emby EPG photos of the TV shows are perfectly picked out and showing.  External EPG photos of the shows are generally something random of the TV show.. or it is zoomed in and some of the outside parts of the photo is cropped off...  Anyways when I can tell the difference between the two types  of photos... I automatically know that it's going to have a recording issue.. it's not going to detect the show in the proper folder, it's going to create a new folder, re-record everything from scratch..

However they're saying this week there will be a stable release that will fix the duplicate recordings.. I'm guessing just on the EPG provider that the recordings are married to. But not positive..  hopefully it will fix the complete mess.

We will see how well this is done.

I wish there was an easy way to have XML links to the emby EPG so that IPTV can be added and edited using sophisticated dedicated m3u and XML or better terms IPTV channels and EPG, programs or websites example, I love to use this iptveditor dot com

It is very amazing, I am a paid member.

The only way I can get the embys EPG guide to work on IPTV is to manually select each Channel.

Or use a customized XML list that I made that sometimes don't work that great..

It would be nice to have more sophisticated IPTV editor within emby. :) however there's been a lot of work done to the channel list and editor.. and it is amazing already! It's much better than what it used to be 🙂

Hopefully that update comes out tomorrow, I can't wait to free up all these hard drives. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
scott46953

Believe they are making final adjustments based on some late information that was provided, while they work on testing on the beta channel.

Hopefully sooner than later :)

• Solution
On 4/11/2024 at 9:07 AM, pdeliot said:

When will 4.8.4 be shipped?

The builds should be up tonight. Thanks.

• Agree 1

scott46953

I wasn't sure if the update was going to install or not...

The update did not show on my screen at first, I had a pending restart update for

MovieDb Updated to 1.7.5 on DESKTOP

4/18/2024, 11:59:59 AM

After restarting, it did not change my version number...  But still said update in the Alerts..

Then an update button I have never seen before popped up,  so I click that.. then it said restart Emby shortly after...

Witch I did about 4 or 5 times in an stuck update loop of some sort..

then I got smart, I shut down Emby instead of restarting it...  Rebooted the computer...  Emby is set for auto start,, when it rebooted it then said it is now Version 4.8.4.0

Thank god.  I will be back :)

pdeliot

I've installed the 4.8.4.0 (restarted  the server and update started).

But I'm not sure to see the issue solved.

Is there any option to activate to avoid re-recording of already present episode in other libraries?

scott46953

I do not see this option in my server anywhere but it says this on the update 4.8.4.0

Add series recording option to check all libraries for existing episodes

Also I do not see any new options in any of my settings buttons.

There is nothing to remove or fix my duplicate tv shows?  maybe there is an app to remove all duplicate videos??

or does it delete them as it finds them when they are detected on attempt to record?

or no deletion detection fix..  just a do not record something that is already existing?

i can see it recording right now.. two shows that have already been watched with a green checker.

nothing to stop that yet?  I dont want to record shows that have already been watched by the person that has selected it to record.

but maybe that is something that has to stay.  not sure

Edited by scott46953

Hi, check the settings screen for each series recording. The setting is in the same place as the "Dont record episodes already in my library"

pdeliot

Ok, found.. checked..

But it seems just not working.

scott46953

I will check it out later tonight, I'll report back

Never mind, I see it on the mobile version when I look at my server... I found the setting to be enabled by default, so it should already be doing its job, so I guess I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. In case anybody's having trouble finding it or wonders what it looks like on mobile, here is screenshot.. it's not showing on the mobile app version, but it is showing on web browser on mobile with the desktop view enabled...

Screenshot_20240419-184453.png

Screenshot_20240419-185142 (1).png

Edited by scott46953

pdeliot

Strange... 

Some episodes skipped... Some are not... 

Screenshot_20240420_102041_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_101945_Emby.jpg

sjabaker

Just to say I've updated and it seems to be working fine for me* - recording schedule all back to normal 🙂  -  Thanks Luke.

* Note: I only use a single TV Show library, so I may only be validating the original "Don't record episodes that are already in my library" setting and not necessarily the new "Check for existing episodes in all libraries" setting as well (depending on whether checking all folders in the same library has been restored into the original setting's behaviour or instead only included in the new multi-library setting).

• Thanks 1

billbo

After I did the upgrade the "Check for existing episodes in all libraries" was checked, but the scheduled recordings remained the same. I unchecked and re-checked the box and it corrected the schedule. I was using a web browser and had to refresh the screen to see the changes.

• Thanks 1

pdeliot

Another illustration there.

Option checked, and all itération planned for recording, including S1E4, S2E1

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_04_00.thumb.png.37ae11f044adaabc61e8c56eb1785cc8.png

witch are actually already in library:

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_06_25.thumb.png.e83ddb418ed56a51a0e0f365312bd14b.png

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_07_41.thumb.png.b7223640928f59b59cc04b1a0a643ed4.png

On 4/24/2024 at 3:08 AM, pdeliot said:

Another illustration there.

Option checked, and all itération planned for recording, including S1E4, S2E1

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_04_00.thumb.png.37ae11f044adaabc61e8c56eb1785cc8.png

witch are actually already in library:

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_06_25.thumb.png.e83ddb418ed56a51a0e0f365312bd14b.png

screencapture-emby-deliot-web-index-html-2024-04-24-09_07_41.thumb.png.b7223640928f59b59cc04b1a0a643ed4.png

If you have the series in both your recordings library as well as another TV library, then you may want to check and make sure that the external id's in the metadata editor for both series are the same.

pdeliot

Yes.. At least at serie level.

And "read / unread" matching is working between both library.. Then it should also match at episode level.

image.thumb.png.4e2c1311a5c7904d75617540d4deb02f.png

image.thumb.png.24859622e3f553c53e3ce3b949b6d965.png