Looney Tunes Collections

Spymaster
Go to solution Solved by roaku,

Spymaster

Apologies if this has been asked before - I searched, but couldn't find anything.

I have a number of Looney Tunes blu-ray collections that I'm trying to save on Emby - the Platinum Collections, the Collector's Choice, etc.  These are unique in that there are around 20 shorts on each disc but a) they are not TV shows, they are "movies" in effect and b) they are not presented in any kind of chronological order, they're just randomly sequenced.

When I save them as movies they are displayed as separate movies, not linked together as a "collection".  And when I save them as a series, Emby gets properly confused because there are no season numbers.  Right now the file names are tagged with V01E01 etc. rather than S01E01 etc.

Is there an official way to group these by collection, with sequential access as I would a TV series, or do I need to fudge it somehow?

Thanks!

• Agree 1

Hello Spymaster,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
6 hours ago, Spymaster said:

Apologies if this has been asked before - I searched, but couldn't find anything.

I have a number of Looney Tunes blu-ray collections that I'm trying to save on Emby - the Platinum Collections, the Collector's Choice, etc.  These are unique in that there are around 20 shorts on each disc but a) they are not TV shows, they are "movies" in effect and b) they are not presented in any kind of chronological order, they're just randomly sequenced.

When I save them as movies they are displayed as separate movies, not linked together as a "collection".  And when I save them as a series, Emby gets properly confused because there are no season numbers.  Right now the file names are tagged with V01E01 etc. rather than S01E01 etc.

Is there an official way to group these by collection, with sequential access as I would a TV series, or do I need to fudge it somehow?

Thanks!

I would recommend treating them all as one TV show and using TVDB as your metadata source.

They use release year as season number.

https://thetvdb.com/series/looney-tunes

js28194

Yeah but the collection is DVD order which for some reason the thetvdb folks have some issue with.  Not arguing one way or the other, but it is DVD for the collection.  This one has been a pain for quite some years.

1 hour ago, js28194 said:

Yeah but the collection is DVD order which for some reason the thetvdb folks have some issue with.  Not arguing one way or the other, but it is DVD for the collection.  This one has been a pain for quite some years.

Ya, I'm saying don't worry about the 'collection' and just name the file for each short according to TVDB's metadata.

The physical releases aren't based on any logical grouping anyway, just on modern licensing and marketing whims.

I've done this for Looney Tunes and Three Stooges and I haven't experienced any drawbacks.

Edited by roaku

• 1 month later...
Spymaster
On 12/17/2023 at 3:19 PM, roaku said:

I would recommend treating them all as one TV show and using TVDB as your metadata source.

They use release year as season number.

https://thetvdb.com/series/looney-tunes

This works brilliantly, thank you!  Apologies for not being able to test this sooner, it's been a crazy coupe of weeks!

• Like 1

tedfroop21
4 hours ago, Spymaster said:

This works brilliantly, thank you!  Apologies for not being able to test this sooner, it's been a crazy coupe of weeks!

Actually - they now have both by year/episode and ordered in two other nonsensical lists.   DVD is I don't know what order because there are so many releases of disks,  and absolute order is a weird mess too citing Cartoon Network as release company.

Year and Episode is the way I have mine ordered.  As stated there are so many releases of this material if you have a lot of cartoons it really starts to make sense when you add more from other disks etc.

Just BTW the Golden Collection Wiki's have a bunch of original release promo cards you can add as your artwork......

Mediaholic948

Tagging the Looney Tunes episodes as Looney Tunes - S[Year]E[Episode Number] - [Episode Name] is the route I went a few years back and it works great! I must admit it is a lot of tedium though. Worth the effort however!

TVDB was the resource I used to determine which year/episode each cartoon from the blu-rays/DVDs went.

image.png.30d1ee3f6abe64eb18cea8ff88645e4a.png

image.png.a8c86779be41c36696c8b43fbf49e23d.png

image.png.7d2a3a9a9440d0b3f93239263e982763.png

• Agree 1

tedfroop21
On 27/01/2024 at 21:03, Mediaholic948 said:

TVDB was the resource I used to determine which year/episode each cartoon from the blu-rays/DVDs went.

Yeah,  It did teach me a valuable lesson about reverse lookup when I have problems with metadata matches.  Going to look it up and match your meta to the TVDB or other meta suppliers data can save hours of pulling your hair out.

PLUS......every other source - has changed ordering several times in the last few years...or in the case of themoviedb, removed the series entirely.

• 2 months later...
JulesC

I'm ripping the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection (Volumes 1, 2 & 3) and have tested the naming convention suggested by @Mediaholic948- Tagging the Looney Tunes episodes as Looney Tunes - S[Year]E[Episode Number] - [Episode Name]  but was wondering if anyone has used FileBot or some other software to name these cartoons automatically or did you name each one of them manually. Thanks.

• Like 1