FireStick 4K Max(2023) - DTS HD MA

UKSteveJ

UKSteveJ

Hello,

Apologies if this has been discussed before (searched but can't find an answer)

I'm running Emby on a 2nd Gen (2023) FireStick 4K Max, with an Emby server on macOS.   I have a bunch of Dolby and THX demo videos, most of which are in 4KVideo + DolbyTrueHD (Atmos) Audio, since the new FireStick4kMax does now passthrough DolbyTrueHD, all these files play fine - direct play on audio and video.

Some of my files however have DTS-HD MA soundtracks, these are also reported as playing with direct play by Emby dashboard, but my AVR reports a stereo sound signal and no audio is output (ie its just silence).   The 2023 FireStick4KMax spec at  https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-streaming-media-player.html  says the stick will pass through DTS-HD (basic profile), but makes no mention of DTS-HD MA, so i'm assuming it can't passthrough this codec. 

I'm wondering why Emby does not try to transcode the audio down to AC3 or some format that the FireTV stick wil decode or passthrough?    Can anyone advise anything I can do to force Emby to transcode the audio in this situation?

Steve

vdatanet

In the audio settings there is an option similar to: "Convert unsupported audio to Dolby Digital", although I haven't entered the application settings in a while, I'm speaking from memory.

rbjtech

How is the Firestick/TV/AVR all connected ?   If you are trying to use ARC, then HD Audio is not going to work - it will also be highly dependent on what TV you have - many will not even passthough DTS, yet alone decode it ...

UKSteveJ

Firestick is connected directly to AVR.  no ARC involved.  Dolby True HD audio is fine - the Firestick passes this through as TrueHD and the AVR decodes it fine.  I think the problem is that the Firestick does not pass through DTS-HD MA (only DTS-HD basic profile), but Emby thinks it can and does not try to transcode

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UKSteveJ said:

but Emby thinks it can and does not try to transcode

Hi.  There are options in the app you can disable specifically for this situation.  Have you tried those?

UKSteveJ

Thanks for all the tips - I've got it working now - basically RTFM  :(

For some reason I hadn't seen all the options in the app, now I've found the DTS specific ones, and disabled DTS-HD passthrough, its working fine.  Emby still reports direct-play of the DTS-HD MA, but the audio signal arriving at the AVR is now PCM which the AVR is able to decode and play.

Thanks again for all your help

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
fwemby67
On 11/13/2023 at 6:29 PM, UKSteveJ said:

Thanks for all the tips - I've got it working now - basically RTFM  :(

For some reason I hadn't seen all the options in the app, now I've found the DTS specific ones, and disabled DTS-HD passthrough, its working fine.  Emby still reports direct-play of the DTS-HD MA, but the audio signal arriving at the AVR is now PCM which the AVR is able to decode and play.

Thanks again for all your help

hi, what's RTFM? and where to disable the DTS-HD passthrough, in Emby server setting or Firetv Emby app? thanks.

UKSteveJ

The option to disable the DTS-HD MA passthrough is in the settings for the emby firetv app.  In settings->playback settings

RTFM:  Read The F****** Manual  :)

fwemby67
9 hours ago, UKSteveJ said:

The option to disable the DTS-HD MA passthrough is in the settings for the emby firetv app.  In settings->playback settings

RTFM:  Read The F****** Manual  :)

Thanks guys. I don't own a Firetv 4k max yet, I have a 1st gen firetv 4k and is looking for a new streaming device that supports DTS HD MA passthrough, weighing between firetv 4k max and shield tv pro. as long as Emby can decode or passthrough DTS HD MA on firetv 4k max, it will be the one to buy.