Change image and metadata storage location

andrewds
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

andrewds

Hello:

I have a server with several hard drives that are set to spin down when not being used. They typically remain in this state for several hours. However, if a user browses the interface it 1) has a delay on loading library images while the disks with the shows being previewed spins up and 2) causes all disks to spin up just to load images. Previously I had not saved images in the library folders but that caused problems with library migrations or when manually reorganizing the file system.

Is there some way I can tell Emby Server to save the image and other metadata files in another location? I'd like to put them on flash storage ideally.

Thanks.

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, andrewds said:

Is there some way I can tell Emby Server to save the image and other metadata files in another location?

Settings>Library>Advanced tab>enter custom Metadata path. Note that this applies to new content only, for existing items metadata refresh is required. And you'll still need to disable saving artwork in media folders. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

GrimReaper
Just now, andrewds said:

Thanks @GrimReaper. Does this apply to images as well? Or just the NFO files.

NFOs can only be saved next to media - if not, they're not created, it's db only in that case. 

andrewds

@GrimReapersorry to pull you back in but looking for some more feedback. I see that the metadata path you're referring to is the metadata folder in Emby-Server's application folder. It contains information about genre's, actors, etc. What I'm looking to relocate are the image files and episode/season information stored alongside the media files. For example, there's the "Save artwork into media folders" option in each library's configuration. I have that enabled because last time I did a migration all of my custom images were reset. However, I would like to redirect them to another location (flash storage) so that library browsing is fast and doesn't cause the media disks to spin up. I would also like all of the series, season, and episode NFO files to be in another location for the same reason. Basically, I only want the spinning storage to be accessed when retrieving media (watching it, generating intro markers, etc). Server, metadata, images on fast flash storage for a good library browsing experience, video files on slow spinning storage.

Do you know if this is possible? If I were to handle this manually with a scheduled task to offline emby, move files, update db paths, and bring it back online would rescans revert everything? (<--this is a problem I encountered during a migration, Emby server ignoring the work ahead that I did)

• Solution
GrimReaper
2 hours ago, andrewds said:

Do you know if this is possible?

No, not within Emby core. 

For images, you can either a) Save them in media folders or b) Save them in metadata folder (server defaut or custom location). 

For info/data, you can either a) Save NFOs alongside media or b) Keep it db-only. 

The only other thing I can think of is utilising StableBit DrivePool File Placement feature, IIRC @rbjtechis doing that, I'll need a minute to find that thread or he might give you a tip or two. 

Edit: Here:

Edited by GrimReaper
Links

andrewds
29 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

The only other thing I can think of is utilising StableBit DrivePool File Placement feature

This is actually perfect, I am using DrivePool. Didn't realize I could add a flash disk to pool and optimize it like this.

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1