How can I disable transcoding?

bauka440

bauka440

So, I am using Emby from an LG TV, the server is running on a Windows 10 PC. Sometimes when I watch a movie it lags and when it's not because of my bandwith limitations, it is because transcoding starts automatically (mostly because an app or the system is doing something on the HDD where the media is stored and then it can become quite slow and it can't handle that without lagging) and then it can't play it because ffmpeg is doing that transcoding and it again, the HDD can't handle it without lagging. (We're talking about 20-30 MB/s here, so it's not super slow but it can cause issues when the media is high bitrate.) I know it was possible in older versions, but I can't find it now. Now I know I could set the location of this transcoding cache to another drive but I don't think transcoding is even neccessary for most of the media. However, I couldn't seem to find any setting which would allow me to disable it completely. Should it be done on the TV itself? (I didn't find the right option there either.) Is it even possible?

Hello bauka440,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, bauka440 said:

So, I am using Emby from an LG TV, the server is running on a Windows 10 PC. Sometimes when I watch a movie it lags and when it's not because of my bandwith limitations, it is because transcoding starts automatically (mostly because an app or the system is doing something on the HDD where the media is stored and then it can become quite slow and it can't handle that without lagging) and then it can't play it because ffmpeg is doing that transcoding and it again, the HDD can't handle it without lagging. (We're talking about 20-30 MB/s here, so it's not super slow but it can cause issues when the media is high bitrate.) I know it was possible in older versions, but I can't find it now. Now I know I could set the location of this transcoding cache to another drive but I don't think transcoding is even neccessary for most of the media. However, I couldn't seem to find any setting which would allow me to disable it completely. Should it be done on the TV itself? (I didn't find the right option there either.) Is it even possible?

Settings>Users>edit desired user, untick Allow video/audio transcoding as desired. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Settings>Users>edit desired user, untick Allow video/audio transcoding as desired. 

However, that is not necessarily going to solve your problem.  In fact, it may create more.  Please read the help text  under the options.

Thanks.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

It's transcoding for a reason - you mention high bitrate videos - which probably mean HD Audio streams - try selecting an AC3/Dolby Digital stream or EAC3/Dolby Digital+ before you play.

An example mediainfo from the file would allow us to advise further.  

Hi, you don't actually need to do this because Emby apps will already direct play whenever possible.  Have you explored the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

• 2 months later...
Kennyw888

Luke - I realize that it's SUPPOSE to do this, but I most certainly don't see it and it lags like a $10 prostitute on a Saturday night.  I experience lagging due to my  setup/HW limitations as well.  I, too, have a 4K LG TV and I don't care what format my media is, this TV can play it just fine.  There is no reason for Emby to transcode in my situation and indeed many, many others.  I honestly have no idea why this "no transcode" option is where it is and not in the transcoding menu where it should be.

PS:  Where is my "pick-whatever-subtitle file-I-want" option when selecting subtitles?  This should be an easy fix.  If your team can't do it, then please direct me to the source code and I'll do it myself.  (source for the TrueNAS plugin and server)

Edited by Kennyw888

Kennyw888

I need to mention that the lagging occurs when playing back 4K source material likely due to my N6005 + TrueNAS.  However, I see ffmpeg running when playing 1080p video as well.

pwhodges

But is it transcoding (check stats for nerds)?  Ffmpeg is also used for remuxing into a container suitable for streaming even when no re-encoding is taking place.

Paul

• 8 months later...
coreymichael

Thanks for this suggestion. Probably has been the best fix for me. That unnecessary transcoding was usually happening on all my 4k content over equipment and hardwired servers that are well capable of handling a direct stream. As soon as I found this post, I disabled processing video and all of the system resources were freed up. Thank you.

• 4 months later...
EmbyPenguin

Hi, 

My set-up is as follows. 

I have an Android 10 Based "all-in-one" audio plyar : a Fiio R7. 
I plugged in a USB stick with a lot of music files (only music). 

On the Fiio R7, I installed the latest Emby Server .apk in "Beta" version. 
I launched it and gave the USB stick as a location for storage. 
The server launched and was able to scan and index the whole music library. 

Once done, I remote controle the Emby Server with the latest Emby Client installed on my smartphone (a Xiaomo mi 11 Pro). 
No problem to have access to the files indexed and no problem to play them to the Fiio R7 used as a renderer. 
I can : 
- Play the files to the Fiio Music app that allows to have the device as a renderer ; 
- Play the files to another app enabled as a renderer (UAPP or Bubble UPnP). 

The problem is : if I retriev the files indexed by Emby Server on Fiio R7 on my smartphone ; if I then ask to playback those files to the Fiio R7 using Fiio Music as a DLNA renderer, it converts the files to .mp3 (at least that is what Fiio Music shows : .mp3 with sample rate and blabla...). 

I have deactivated the conversion as reported here, but the files still are sent as .mp3 files (the original files are 24/44, 24/48, 24/88 or 24/96 files in .flac). 
Weird enough, the same files can be played back in .flac if taken directly by Fiio Music app on the storage... SO the Fiio Music app supports palybakc for .flac files !

What am I doing wrong ? Would installing the latest stable Emby Server .apk be of any help here ? 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

Regards. 

EmbyPenguin
Posted (edited)

I'd like to add that I just tested. 

If I retrieve files from the Fiio R7 Emby server and send them to the FGiio R7 As a renderer, it sends the files in .flac with correct sample and res...

So the rpoblem seems to be the Emby client. 

Edited by EmbyPenguin

On 5/2/2024 at 2:30 PM, EmbyPenguin said:

I'd like to add that I just tested. 

If I retrieve files from the Fiio R7 Emby server and send them to the FGiio R7 As a renderer, it sends the files in .flac with correct sample and res...

So the rpoblem seems to be the Emby client. 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!