Movie Library Only Shows Posters as Thumbnails

gihayes
Go to solution Solved by gihayes,

gihayes

I have 2 Movie libraries (Movies and Leaving Soon) that only show as Thumbnails, not regular posters. I can choose to view as all the other options (List, Table, Disc, Thumbnail). but when I choose primary, It displays them in thumbnail shape, horizontal rectangles, not vertical. They are of type Movie. My TV library, which is Type TV, and 2 other libraries which are of type Movie (3D and Test)  display correctly as does my Collections library and 2 Mixed Type Libraries (Featured and Test). If I pick a movie in one of the affected libraries and edit it's images, I can change it to the correct poster, but it fits it in a rectangular box. I have tried refreshing the Meta Data with the replace images box checked and Scanning the libraries in question but it did not fix the issue. I have attached a short video to show what I am trying to explain and a log file of me navigating to the various libraries. I turned on debugging and rotated the log before saving and attaching. Is there some setting I am missing, or something I can do to correct the way the posters are being presented?
Thanks. 

Edit... I just noticed that Folders was selected for the view on the Leaving Soon library. My mistake in making the video. If Movies is selected, It still shows the posters as horizontal rectangular boxes.

embyserver.txt

Edited by gihayes
Mistake of setting in video

GrimReaper

In your Movies and Leaving Soon library setup, what Image Fetchers you have enabled and in what order?

gihayes

For my Movies library I have
The Movie Database, The Open Movie Database, The TV Database, Fan Art, and Screen Grabber.

I Just realized that my Leaving Soon library is Mixed.
For Series it uses TVDB, The Movie Database, The Open Movie Database, Fan Art
For Seasons it uses The TV Database, The Movie Database, Fan Art
For Episodes it uses The TV Database, The Movie Database, The Open Movie Database, Screen Grabber
For Movies it uses The Movie Database, The Open Movie Database, The TV Database, Fan Art, Screen Grabber

gihayes

By the way, the Featured library uses only Symbolic Links that point to the actual media folder. It is one that works tho'. lol.

Edited by gihayes

You're getting this because your movies don't have poster images. You can try refreshing the metadata on the ones that are missing posters and see if that helps pull in a poster image.

In terms of why you didn't get a poster to begin with, to answer that we'd have to see the server log from when the movies library was first imported.

gihayes

Thanks for the reply Luke. If I Edit Images for an item and it gets a poster, it is still displayed in a horizontal thumbnail instead of a vertical poster. Like TV or the Featured, or 3D library. How can I fix that? As you can see in the video, I have gotten posters for a few of the movies but they are placed in a thumbnail style box.

Edited by gihayes

gihayes

I've just looked thru quite a few of the movies in the Movies library and they All have posters. A Refresh Metadata does not fix it but an Edit Image or Identify puts the poster in a thumbnail style box.

Edited by gihayes

Happy2Play
47 minutes ago, gihayes said:

Thanks for the reply Luke. If I Edit Images for an item and it gets a poster, it is still displayed in a horizontal thumbnail instead of a vertical poster. Like TV or the Featured, or 3D library. How can I fix that? As you can see in the video, I have gotten posters for a few of the movies but they are placed in a thumbnail style box.

34 minutes ago, gihayes said:

I've just looked thru quite a few of the movies in the Movies library and they All have posters. A Refresh Metadata does not fix it but an Edit Image or Identify puts the poster in a thumbnail style box.

Can you go over a specific example for a item that does not present a poster.

1 hour ago, gihayes said:

Because you still have many others without a poster, so it's choosing the wide aspect as the best fit for the list. I would go through the first 50 in the list and make sure at least 30-40 of them have posters, and then see if that changes anything.

gihayes

In the video, when I open the TV library, the first one, they are all vertical posters. When I open the second library,  Movies, the First item, 'The Burbs', is a vertical poster in a thumbnail box. The movie '6 Underground',, below that does not show as a poster even though it has a vertical poster in its folder. No vertical poster I can fix. Thumbnail box I cannot.

gihayes
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Because you still have many others without a poster, so it's choosing the wide aspect as the best fit for the list. I would go through the first 50 in the list and make sure at least 30-40 of them have posters, and then see if that changes anything.

Ok Luke, Thanks I will check but all the ones I have checked so far have vertical posters (I only checked about 15 or so). I have over 2000 movies so it may take a while. Lol. I can try a search for 'poster.jpg' on the movies folder. Thanks.

Edited by gihayes

4 minutes ago, gihayes said:

In the video, when I open the TV library, the first one, they are all vertical posters. When I open the second library,  Movies, the First item, 'The Burbs', is a vertical poster in a thumbnail box. The movie '6 Underground',, below that does not show as a poster even though it has a vertical poster in its folder. No vertical poster I can fix. Thumbnail box I cannot.

OK but in your video, 4 out of 15 are missing posters, and with the way it calculates the mean aspect ratio amongst them, that could be enough to sway it. Try making sure they all have posters.

gihayes
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK but in your video, 4 out of 15 are missing posters, and with the way it calculates the mean aspect ratio amongst them, that could be enough to sway it. Try making sure they all have posters.

Will do.

gihayes
37 minutes ago, Luke said:

My Movies library had 2111 movies. I did a search for poster.jpg on my movies folder.  I got back 2111. I moved 72 movies to a new folder and created a new movie library.  The movies are appearing correctly there. So..., deleting my current movie library then adding it back may work. I will try that. 🤞

Happy2Play

Minus an incomplete initial library scan it is impossible to say, but glad everything is working now.

• Solution
gihayes
On 10/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, Happy2Play said:

Minus an incomplete initial library scan it is impossible to say, but glad everything is working now.

That fixed it. Remove, re-add, Let Emby scan. At first posters started coming in correctly. Next morning they reverted to horizontal rectangle shape, but by that afternoon, the posters were presenting correctly, and still are.