Dolby Vision tone-mapping implementation question/request

jsc1205

Cheesegeezer
2 hours ago, cwills75 said:

Can't seem to find a way to get it to work.  If I manually download ffmpeg and biftool and run a command like this from Unraid command line:

ffmpeg -f matroska -skip_interval 10 -copyts -i file:"input.mkv" -an -sn -vf "zscale=t=linear:npl=100,format=gbrpf32le,zscale=p=bt709,tonemap=tonemap=mobius:desat=0,zscale=t=bt709:m=bt709:r=tv,format=yuv420p" -s 320x180 -vsync cfr -r 0.1 -f image2 bif/%08d.jpg

I get an error about skip_interval because it's not in that build.  If I remove the -skip_interval 10 part, ffmpeg/biftool runs, putting .jpg files in the bif folder.  It just doesn't work being referenced by the plugin.  So the biftool seems functional, it just throws up the NullReferenceException error with the plugin. 

This is great info fella. And thanks for testing and providing feedback, it’s invaluable.

i may have to do system checks and decide what system its being run on to omit specific CLI commands from the args

would you mind shifting the rest of this to the official thread found here. so as not to clog this FR.

cheers fella

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
MagicDoubleM
On 8/17/2022 at 2:54 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Yes, that would be accurate.  DV is a proprietary format owned by Dolby Labs.  They are a business to make money and they do that through licensing their technology.  

When I look at fin's implementation, it relies on HWA, i'm under the impression that the questionable part of the work is done via hardware, hence the licensing part is already covered by hw-manufacturers. Also, we are already having DV-playback by passing it through to hw-decoders, which isn't much different.

rbjtech
On 09/11/2022 at 20:51, MagicDoubleM said:

When I look at fin's implementation, it relies on HWA, i'm under the impression that the questionable part of the work is done via hardware, hence the licensing part is already covered by hw-manufacturers. Also, we are already having DV-playback by passing it through to hw-decoders, which isn't much different.

Currently Emby does not even recognise a Dolby Vision stream - yet alone do anything with it. 🤔

So once they add this (which I believe is in the pipeline, now that ffmpeg supports it..) then I guess it's a possibility.

• Like 3