Running Emby through reverse proxy

silverfish45
Go to solution Solved by silverfish45,

silverfish45

No luck.. no luck getting google TV to login.. Get as far as putting in the server details, seems to find it but the login screen doesn't look right.. then it's always 'invalid username' but no alert on the dashboard that someone tried to login.

I've tried different versions of emby server. Currently 4.7.4.0, 4.7.1.0

I've tried a new PC running Windows 11..

There are no other factors. I'm out of ideas..

silverfish45
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Hey Luke. I've done a lot of testing and it comes down to Emby Server V. 4.6.7.0 works fine with chromecast, no issues.. but once I update into any of the 4.7.X.X versions it all comes apart. Is Win 7 SP1 still supported by emby like it says under the download button on the website? Anything I can update or does the new version use dependencies that are just not in Win7

I also tried using a Windows 11 PC to host and had issues there too.

silverfish45

I feel it is server issue. Anything past 4.6.7.0 has issues with the reverse proxy connection.  I have no problems casting on earlier version of Emby.. I'm using Windows 11, fully updated and the only way I can get it to cast on 4.7.4.0 is on my tablet I login to emby via chrome browser, use cast from the browser, once connected, the app also responds. 

pir8radio
23 hours ago, silverfish45 said:

I feel it is server issue. Anything past 4.6.7.0 has issues with the reverse proxy connection.  I have no problems casting on earlier version of Emby.. I'm using Windows 11, fully updated and the only way I can get it to cast on 4.7.4.0 is on my tablet I login to emby via chrome browser, use cast from the browser, once connected, the app also responds. 

click my avatar, go to about me and try chrome casting from my server to something in your home network.

• 3 weeks later...
silverfish45
On 23/06/2022 at 09:04, pir8radio said:

click my avatar, go to about me and try chrome casting from my server to something in your home network.

I've tried it.. It work fine.. What are you using as a Proxy? Nginx?.. I tried installing that but it was very lengthy process on my raspi pi 3 compared with Caddy V2.

pir8radio
On 7/12/2022 at 12:33 AM, silverfish45 said:

I've tried it.. It work fine.. What are you using as a Proxy? Nginx?.. I tried installing that but it was very lengthy process on my raspi pi 3 compared with Caddy V2.

yes nginx..  but the point is I guess is that it's not an emby server issue if it works with nginx reverse proxy, it just means the other proxy probably isn't configured correctly. 

silverfish45
On 17/07/2022 at 09:09, pir8radio said:

isn't configured correctly

Caddy Proxy requires very little input to get it going.. just a domain name and a command to tell it where to forward traffic.. that's it.. I would use nginx if it was simple and light (software wise) as Caddy.. On the Pi I just have a config file, a few lines and done.. Nginx was installing for ages and in the end, didn't run because of some library conflict.. Am I installing nginx wrong or is there a bash command with simple proxy setup?

• 6 months later...
chapmansean

Sounds like you're running into some issues when trying to use a Chromecast or Chromecast with Android TV outside of your network. It's great to hear that the reverse proxy is working well for tablets and phones that are using the Emby app, but it's unfortunate that you're running into issues with casting to a TV that isn't local to the server. One option to consider is switching to another proxy provider. Some providers may have different features or settings that could help resolve this issue.

pir8radio
On 7/19/2022 at 5:54 AM, silverfish45 said:

Caddy Proxy requires very little input to get it going.. just a domain name and a command to tell it where to forward traffic.. that's it.. I would use nginx if it was simple and light (software wise) as Caddy.. On the Pi I just have a config file, a few lines and done.. Nginx was installing for ages and in the end, didn't run because of some library conflict.. Am I installing nginx wrong or is there a bash command with simple proxy setup?

that is the issue with the "simple" reverse proxy's..   NGINX can be just domain name and where to forward the traffic, but emby needs special headers and stuff to be forwarded as well to function..   So a simple config wont work with emby.    If you click my avatar under "about me" tab there is an example config with only a few things you need to fill in yourself. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
silverfish45

Emby has released some server updates and this is no longer an issue.. Works perfectly again via the proxy.. many thanks guys.

• Thanks 1