Strange artifacting and weird colors

tm0323

tm0323

Good evening! Recently I've been getting some really bad artifacting and bad picture quality when playing movies. I've tried multiple ones but the issue persists. I have also tried turning off MPV in the settings, but that prevented the video from even loading. Everything seems up-to-date for the software, including the Synology NAS I'm running the server on. I've never had this issue before and it doesn't happen with other apps.

Any ideas? Wondering if this is just a bug in the most recent version of Emby?

• 2 months later...

So sorry for the long delay on this. Life kind of got busy and I haven't had time to snap a pic. My kids were watching a movie the other day and I grabbed a quick pick of it.

IMG_2403.JPG

Happy2Play

What the media info for the item?

What is the playback method, Direct Play, Direct Stream, Transcode?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 7:38 PM, Happy2Play said:

What the media info for the item?

What is the playback method, Direct Play, Direct Stream, Transcode?

Sorry, for the late reply, thank you for being patient with me. Looks like it says "direct play" under the admin section.

Yes, I'm not sure when the app got updated last but I still see it sometimes when playing a movie. I'm running these off a Synology NAS (215j or something like that). Are there specific files I should avoid? I've paid for the lifetime Emby Premiere. My files are typically .mp4 or .mkv and they are either 264 or 265 codec.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, Luke said:

Can we please look at an example using the information I requested previously? Thanks !

Sure! Here are a couple pics of a movie I was trying to watch last night.

143850FF-8AAA-4757-B556-AA8D142479BC.jpeg

383E6BD6-FADD-4844-A604-EAFD2AB60103.jpeg

5 hours ago, kbijvank said:

@tm0323 What Luke meant was:

So that he can see your logs. We don't know what is going on based on pictures.

Oh I’m sorry! Let me figure out how to obtain those and I’ll post back!

There is a a problem with mpv with hdr content in that it has massive banding issuses on the latest apple tv 4k so if your content is 4k hdr then there's no fix , only people that could fix it is the coders who make mpv (so any player on apple tv using mpv with 4k hdr content weather passthrough ie plex or tone mapping ie emby will have this banding and colour issues i

blade runner 2049 is a test play from start and you can see it 

anyhow its not a emby issues just mpv player how it renders hdr 4k 10 bit

@kalg, no I'm not playing any 4k HDR content, so I don't think it's that.

@Luke, sorry for taking so long. I have found the place to obtain the log files but don't see one for the date in question. There were only 5 logs and none of them were from Aug, 31 which is the night I was watching the screenshot above.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, tm0323 said:

@Luke, sorry for taking so long. I have found the place to obtain the log files but don't see one for the date in question. There were only 5 logs and none of them were from Aug, 31 which is the night I was watching the screenshot above.

Yes as Emby is setup to deletes logs over 3 days old.  If you want to maintain logs longer you would have to update your system.xml and restart Emby.

<LogFileRetentionDays>3</LogFileRetentionDays>

Otherwise you would have to reproduce the issue and post the log.

• 3 months later...

Once again, sorry this took so long. I haven't been using Emby much lately and am on the road a lot. My kids just started up a movie earlier while I was home. I was able to grab the log file as they were watching it and have attached it.

Thank you all for the help on this. I'm sure it has something to do with the codecs, or audio but I really don't know. They were watching a 1080p .mp4 file.

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Luke. Been watching a TV series through Emby the past week and haven't had any issues. I'm assuming I'm on the latest update. The settings say 1.6.9(2) as the app version.

• Thanks 1