Trailer Quality Poor

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hello Emby

I'm wondering if anything can be done to improve the quality of Trailers please?

I'm using the Trailers plugin (1.3.5.0) and the trailers appear blocky / low res and once upon a time they looked quite sharp.

Is there any way to improve the quality of are there other plugins/options for increasing the quality please?

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Robnaeyaert
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there @Robnaeyaert can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

Sorry Luke I dont really understand what you mean?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Trailer plugin used to play high def trailers but the services downgraded to trailers and they were now all lower definition?  I'm not sure if that is correct, but in my case, if I play a trailer on say Youtube it plays in high definition perfectly but when I use the Emby Theater Trailers plugin as mentioned above, the trailers are low definition and blocky.   

Does that help?

8 hours ago, Robnaeyaert said:

Sorry Luke I dont really understand what you mean?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Trailer plugin used to play high def trailers but the services downgraded to trailers and they were now all lower definition?  I'm not sure if that is correct, but in my case, if I play a trailer on say Youtube it plays in high definition perfectly but when I use the Emby Theater Trailers plugin as mentioned above, the trailers are low definition and blocky.   

Does that help?

Can we please look at a specific example using the information that I've requested above? Thanks !

Happy2Play

Ideally, we need a quality selector for the trailers plugin as I believe it defaults to 480p.  But yes specific examples with the server log would provide more information.

What version of ET?

Since this topic is about Emby Theater, do you see the same in the web client?

What trailers category are you referring to also?

There is a database hack here.

But at the same time, it has been reported playing 1080p trailers from this provider does not play without pausing.  And you should or at least I see the exact same thing playing directly from their website.

Robnaeyaert
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Can we please look at a specific example using the information that I've requested above? Thanks !

Hey Luke I just read a long thread that Happy2PLay pointed me to and it looks like I'm not the only one with Trailer quality issues?

If that's the case and there is no fix then fine.....but you could have just said that to help instead of asking for more details etc?  I'm assuming the Trailers plugin throttles trailers?

Edited by Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert
14 hours ago, Luke said:

It does not throttle trailers.

OK, does it always show HD trailers?   Or is that dependent on the source provider?  Is there a setting to always force HD trailers?

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, FarNorthMedia said:

I'm getting the same issue on ATV and via the web client on chrome....max Trailer quality is 480p

Hi, we are working on improving this. Thanks.

Garfield1983

Hello everyone, I got the same issue. Since a few months I got all internet trailers in poor quality (max. 480p with a lot of pixels). Eventhough the last versions of plugin trailers is installed. I'm using the Nvidia Shield and Windows PC, on both Emby theater got the same issue.

Even on the NAS itself, playing through the Emby server it's max 480p for trailers (excepts the local videos of course). But Youtube has been setup to the max quality each time.

Is there a parameter that has been changed on the server or plugin?

nicholas_davies

Yep, same for me. The trailer quality is horrible. I'm using the regular trailer plugin. If there a fix for this yet?

Edited by nicholas_davies

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, MichkeIV said:

is there anything that is already done to improve trailers?

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

apachelance
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we are looking into it. Thanks.

Sorry Luke, but this sounds like a standard answer since months…even years when I am looking at the other threads. I am observing the same low-res 480p trailers in emby server for Synology and nvidia Shield or iPad as a client. This resolution is unusable.

So, the question is: When will it be fixed? 

2 minutes ago, apachelance said:

Sorry Luke, but this sounds like a standard answer since months…even years when I am looking at the other threads. I am observing the same low-res 480p trailers in emby server for Synology and nvidia Shield or iPad as a client. This resolution is unusable.

So, the question is: When will it be fixed? 

We are looking into finding higher quality trailer sources that can be legally integrated into our apps. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Rikitydj

Hi... Any update on this? 480p trailers in 2024 is pretty poor. I just played the trailer for 57 seconds... I left my 480p TV back in 2001 so it doesn't look very good. Do I need to buy a new 480p TV to enjoy emby premiere properly? 

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, Rikitydj said:

Hi... Any update on this? 480p trailers in 2024 is pretty poor. I just played the trailer for 57 seconds... I left my 480p TV back in 2001 so it doesn't look very good. Do I need to buy a new 480p TV to enjoy emby premiere properly? 

Well it is not an issue with ET or any other Emby app.

It is the source that is the issue as the new sources quality.

image.png

But in the end there are no sources out there that will fit every need and not come at an extreme price.

5 hours ago, Rikitydj said:

HI, we are looking into finding better trailer sources. Thanks for the feedback.

Rikitydj
17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Well it is not an issue with ET or any other Emby app.

It is the source that is the issue as the new sources quality.

image.png

But in the end there are no sources out there that will fit every need and not come at an extreme price.

Either way, it's a pretty dim look for Emby when you click the trailer button and you're forced to watch a horrifically encoded eyesore, it's makes the expierience feel like watching a pirate film on an entry level version of xbmc. 

Like I said, it's 2024. Trailers are there to promote films, it can't be that hard to find, surely the films producers want the trailers viewed properly? 

2 minutes ago, Rikitydj said:

it can't be that hard to find

Hi.  Surprisingly, it is.

3 minutes ago, Rikitydj said:

surely the films producers want the trailers viewed properly

You would think...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Rikitydj
On 20/02/2024 at 17:07, ebr said:

Hi.  Surprisingly, it is.

You would think...

Well, there we go I guess. Is there a way to hide the trailer button? 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:33 AM, Rikitydj said:

Well, there we go I guess. Is there a way to hide the trailer button? 

Not currently. You'd have to remove the Trailer plugin.