No app for HU715QW Projector?

sonntakuu

• 3 months later...
bollanbr13

I recently started my media server and have been using emby as I much prefer it to plex.  However I got an LG projector now and found there is no Emby app on there.  Just plex.  I was wondering if there was a possible time frame to when Emby app would be supported on LG projectors?  Would really like to avoid switching to Plex and wanted to hopefully find out before purchasing the lifetime subscription.  Have just currently been going month to month.  So would either want to purchase lifetime for Emby or unfortunately switch over to Plex possibly if projectors will not be supported.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, bollanbr13 said:

I recently started my media server and have been using emby as I much prefer it to plex.  However I got an LG projector now and found there is no Emby app on there.  Just plex.  I was wondering if there was a possible time frame to when Emby app would be supported on LG projectors?  Would really like to avoid switching to Plex and wanted to hopefully find out before purchasing the lifetime subscription.  Have just currently been going month to month.  So would either want to purchase lifetime for Emby or unfortunately switch over to Plex possibly if projectors will not be supported.

Thanks

HI, does it have a browser? You can always use our hosted web app at http://app.emby.media

bollanbr13
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, does it have a browser? You can always use our hosted web app at http://app.emby.media

Thank you for the quick response. Yes i just checked and this worked. However it caused more questions now.  ha

If i play a 4k movie on my 4k projector using the web app the video is trans-coded.  If i play the same movie on my LG 4k TV the video is not trans-coded and is direct play. 
This video is in MKV file format.  If i play a MP4 4k movie on my projector the video is direct play. 

I know with MKV the container has to be converted to MP4.  However this never affected the video steam before until trying on the web version of my projector now.  Is this the reason why?  I could go about converting all MKV videos to MP4 i suppose if this would correct this issue.  Just confused as never had that issue before.  I checked and all the settings are the same from both TV and projector otherwise. 

This is not a big issue just curious what is causing it and if i can do something to correct it.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, bollanbr13 said:

Thank you for the quick response. Yes i just checked and this worked. However it caused more questions now.  ha

If i play a 4k movie on my 4k projector using the web app the video is trans-coded.  If i play the same movie on my LG 4k TV the video is not trans-coded and is direct play. 
This video is in MKV file format.  If i play a MP4 4k movie on my projector the video is direct play. 

I know with MKV the container has to be converted to MP4.  However this never affected the video steam before until trying on the web version of my projector now.  Is this the reason why?  I could go about converting all MKV videos to MP4 i suppose if this would correct this issue.  Just confused as never had that issue before.  I checked and all the settings are the same from both TV and projector otherwise. 

This is not a big issue just curious what is causing it and if i can do something to correct it.

Thanks

It depends on the video codec in the mkv. Unless it is h264 it will generally have to be transcoded. Hevc can sometimes stream copy depending on the file and the device.

bollanbr13

OK that's probably the answer then.  The codec is HEVC for both the MKV and MP4 movies.  Looks like just the web app with LG projector just doesn't like this format in MKV whereas the LG TV is OK with this format for direct play.

Thanks for the information. 

I can post the logs if you want to see if anything can be done about this.  But i am OK with this answer too. 

15 hours ago, bollanbr13 said:

OK that's probably the answer then.  The codec is HEVC for both the MKV and MP4 movies.  Looks like just the web app with LG projector just doesn't like this format in MKV whereas the LG TV is OK with this format for direct play.

Thanks for the information. 

I can post the logs if you want to see if anything can be done about this.  But i am OK with this answer too. 

Actually I think they both can probably handle mkv, but this is likely an area where the native app can handle more formats than the browser can.

It's also possible that the projector could play the mkv directly in the browser because unfortunately unlike other containers, there's no way to ask the browser if it supports mkv. So that means we have a whitelisted set of platforms listed in the code, which of course could fall out of date over time. But it is what it is until better techniques emerge.

bollanbr13
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Actually I think they both can probably handle mkv, but this is likely an area where the native app can handle more formats than the browser can.

It's also possible that the projector could play the mkv directly in the browser because unfortunately unlike other containers, there's no way to ask the browser if it supports mkv. So that means we have a whitelisted set of platforms listed in the code, which of course could fall out of date over time. But it is what it is until better techniques emerge.

Yeah this appears to be the case.  Where the browser cannot handle this format/codec for direct play.  Which unfortunately means i am losing out on HDR and those features.  Since I am just running this on a NAS and do not have enough power to really do HDR tone mapping trans-coding. 

So am back to the original question I guess.  Ha.   Is there any time table to have a native app for the projectors?  As i have lot of 4k HDR content and would like to watch that on my projector.  But really don't want to go to plex. 

Thanks for the quick responses and help as well. 

You could perform a one-time test by restricting all transcoding permissions from your emby user and then see if the mkv plays successfully in the web app on the projector. Just make sure to change it back afterwards.

Yes we'd like to add projector support. I think we can look at that after we get the current submission through LG review.

bollanbr13
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

You could perform a one-time test by restricting all transcoding permissions from your emby user and then see if the mkv plays successfully in the web app on the projector. Just make sure to change it back afterwards.

Yes we'd like to add projector support. I think we can look at that after we get the current submission through LG review.

I just did that to test it out.  Disabled transcoding and the movie would not play at all using the web app on the projector.  The movie still plays correctly on my LG TV with no issues

OK thanks for the information.  If that's something that is in the works and can be completed I am happy to wait. 

• Thanks 1

bollanbr13

@Luke@Happy2Play

I did more testing and even more confused. 

I encoded a new 4k HDR movie using handbrake and uploaded it to my server.  I was able to direct play that on the LG projector using the web app with no issues at all.

I then took a 4k HDR MKV movie I had.  I converted that to MP4 using ffmpeg.  Tried playing that on the web app and was still transcoding.  From everything I could tell it shouldn't have been at all.  Since it was converted to the same format and everything that the MP4 video from handbrake was in.  Unless I maybe missed something.   The only thing I can see differently is when transcoding the stream was showing much lower mbps.  I have my settings to the max for everything in the webapp.  4k 120.   I have attached the images for each movie as well as the logs for the one that was transcoding. 

None of this is a huge deal at all.  I  just have this thing where I really want to know whats going on.  I am willing to change all my files to MP4 if that will work better on the web app.  Its just odd that converting to MP4 didn't work.  Whereas if i encode new movie to MP4 everything is fine.  Going forward i will be most likely be encoding to MP4 now, but really don't want to go back and do this for every movie I have.  

If i should be posting this somewhere else let me know.  Appreciate the help and how responsive these forums are. 

EmbyTranscode4KMP4.PNG

GoodEmby4k.PNG

ffmpeg-transcode-fc9f4164-b9b9-4f9b-9b6c-a5b23bebe68a_1.txt

In the first one the web app tried to direct play, but the player reported an error and so the app automatically switched to transcoding in order to ensure successful playback.

Unfortunately the player doesn't give us specifics about what the problem is.

bollanbr13

Ah OK.  So in theory my plan would work and 4kmp4 videos should play on the web app.  I will do more testing and converting and see if i can figure anything out then.

Thanks

bollanbr13
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Not really as most browsers do not support the codec.

HEVC/H.265 video format | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

The browser on LG does at least.  I was saying in theory it would work because the web app on the LG projector i have plays the same HVEC codec correctly in other MP4 videos.  Just didn't play it in the one I converted with ffmpeg.  That must have just been a weird error though as i tried converting another video using the same arguments and command and it plays correctly with no transcoding now. 

Happy2Play

@bollanbr13 then going to HTML5test on your projector browser may tell you some more info.

an example from streaming in my test of my browser.

image.png.118a76dc5d797d4a7bd3fede9b613538.png

But something still does not jive if changing from mkv to mp4 works.  As allowing the server to do the same on the fly should do the same thing.  But since we can't really trap the Direct Play error it is hard to say what the player does not like.

bollanbr13
25 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@bollanbr13 then going to HTML5test on your projector browser may tell you some more info.

an example from streaming in my test of my browser.

image.png.118a76dc5d797d4a7bd3fede9b613538.png

But something still does not jive if changing from mkv to mp4 works.  As allowing the server to do the same on the fly should do the same thing.  But since we can't really trap the Direct Play error it is hard to say what the player does not like.

I will try that when i get back on the projector. 

I agree its odd because i always was under the impression MKV vs MP4 didn't matter that much as its just changing the container.  However currently any videos in HEVC MP4 format play directly without any issues, but any videos in HEVC MKV format transcode.   It just has to be something weird with the browser on the projector since MKV videos direct play without any issues on my LG TV with the emby app

• 6 months later...
KrakaClue

Hi everyone! I also bought the same LG projector (Web OS 6) and the application is not available on the store.  @Lukedo you have any news about a release?

I tried on different store locations (USA, U.K., S. Korea, Paraguay, etc...)

I just would like to say that on my old projector HF85LS-EU (Web OS 3) the application is available. I've used it for 2 years.

Thank you

Edited by KrakaClue

On 3/11/2023 at 12:42 PM, KrakaClue said:

Hi everyone! I also bought the same LG projector (Web OS 6) and the application is not available on the store.  @Lukedo you have any news about a release?

I tried on different store locations (USA, U.K., S. Korea, Paraguay, etc...)

I just would like to say that on my old projector HF85LS-EU (Web OS 3) the application is available. I've used it for 2 years.

Thank you

Hi, yes we'll look at supporting projectors. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Hi, for those running a projector please try searching the LG store. According to LG we're in the store for projectors running WebOS 4+. Thanks.