Fix for 4.7.0.60 broken on Win 10 N edition

Cheeseburger
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Cheeseburger

Hi!

This might be of help to the few odd people like me that happened to be running Windows N edition. This is for you if you after the update get the "No compatible streams available..." message when trying to play any video requiring transcoding or repacking before being streamed to the web app or a client. Prior to the update it should have worked. I guess this might also be a thing for new users of this and future versions of Emby if they are running the slightly debloated Windows N editions.

More info:
In my case this was related to ffmpeg requiring a DLL not part of Windows 10 N edition. In the Embyserver log, after starting the server there are lots of ffmpeg errors, before even attempted playback. Playback throws more errors, most notably "System.Exception: Error starting ffmpeg"

ffmpeg.exe is in \<Emby-Server install dir>\system\ and its modified time stamp matched when Emby was updated. Simply double clicking it gives a GUI error message: "The code execution cannot proceed because MFPlat.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem."

Fix:
The mentioned DLL is part of a normal Windows installation, but not the N edition which lacks many media features. However, the Media Feature Pack can easily be installed from within Windows settings:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions-c1c6fffa-d052-8338-7a79-a4bb980a700a

Edit: This is the same thing as 

I missed that as it came up whilst I (slowly) created a new thread. Merge?

Edited by Cheeseburger
  • Agree 1

HI, yes we're going to look into this and whether or not this dependency is absolutely required. Thanks for the feedback.

ffmpeg 5.0 has got support for MS Media Foundation which lead to this dependency.

As we aren't using MF, we were able to simply remove it from ffmpeg. For a quick resolution, you can replace ffmpeg/ffprobe with these:

ffmpeg_x64_2022-05-07_no_mf.zip

Notes

• Only Windows is affected, and only versions which don't have the "Media Feature Pack" insalled
  • No need to replace when you don't have any issue
  • The ffmpeg version numers remain unchanged
    (same code, different compilation)
  • If you have a 32bit Windows version, please wait for 4.7.0.1

This fix will be included in 4.7.0.1

• Solution

The fix for this will be in 4.7.1 in the coming days. For now I've also patched the current stable release so you can also reinstall from the website on top of your existing installation. Thanks.