New Nvidia Shield - Playback Stuttering -Solved

Mozy

Setup

I have had a Win Emby server for years, and am now trying to retire that PC and move the server to a power efficient Shield Pro 2019. I have a nice usb3 raid with HD mp4s and and 4K full rip mkvs. My goal is also to use the Shield as a NAS to serve media to a Zidoo Z9x for ISO playback.

Using th

e Emby guides I managed to get the raid mounted, and find the correct paths to setup the libraries and put everything in the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder so I can write to that directory from the PC.  I also added network paths for libraries and all appears correct from what I can tell.

Emby on the Shield has successfully scanned and added my media, poster wall is populated.

Problem

With playback on the Shield and on my PC, I can only seem to get the HD mp4 files to play, and when they do they stutter every couple of seconds.

The 4K files don't work period and give up, they are same-as-disc hdr10 non-dv rips.

Testing

I went back to Windows, and was able to playback all files on the Shield/RAID mount perfectly, both HD and 4K.

Needing help

I wanted to ask if there were had any ideas, or if I am just asking the Shield to do to much and I should looking into a NUC or some other power efficient (but mighty) option?

The only files that would maybe need transcoding are the HD mp4 files, but 99% of the time all files will be watched on our local network.

I also am debating if I should try mounting the raid onto my router instead and see if that changes anything.

Edited by Mozy
solved

2 hours ago, Mozy said:

or if I am just asking the Shield to do to much

IMO, yes.  You are trying to transcode a 60Mb/s file but it may actually be I/O that is the bottleneck.  The device is not designed as a server.  In any case, you are only getting about 5 fps on the transcode.

• Like 1

Does Emby or the Shield need to transcode the 4K, I was hoping it would just serve it on my local to the client?

I have no desire to transcode the 4K media and am trying to get same-as-source playback.

Hi.  You are trying to play in a browser.  That is probably the most limited audio and video format support so, with this specific example, yes, a transcode was needed.

• Like 1

Oh I see, makes sense now.

Just so I understand, if I play Shield-Emby-Server--> Shield-Emby-Client they won't need to transcode?

Edited by Mozy

14 hours ago, Mozy said:

Just so I understand, if I play Shield-Emby-Server--> Shield-Emby-Client they won't need to transcode?

That's going to depend but it is a lot less likely.  However you then get into possible I/O constraints on the device.  Most people who have tried this with high bitrate content have reported it doesn't work that well.   Your results may vary.

Solved!

Tested Shield-Server---->Shield-Client(s) and all worked great with HD and 4K media on my local network!

I also tested remote again using my browser and HD playback is smooth. 

And, the Shield is working excellent as a NAS for serving local playback of ISO with the Zidoo Z9X.

The guides Emby staff provided are great! Thank you very much for the help and guidance! 

• Like 1