Wrong episode played by Emby 1.0.35 on LG TV

Locutus64

Locutus64

I just launched the LG app and was informed there was a update. I let it update and relaunch the app. Navigated to my Last Night's library played Halo S01E05 without issue, went to play Halo S01E06 and it started playing one of the two episodes of Outer Range I have in the folder. I then went back to the Emby home screen, then on the PC launched Emby, scanned the Last Night's library, went back to the Last Night's library on the LG app and it still played the Outer Range episode. Once again I went back to he home screen on the LG app, went back to the PC and moved the two Outer Range episodes to the desktop, scanned the library again, went back to the LG app and this time Halo S01E06 played like it should. I just use the previous version of the LG about a week ago and had no issues. Any idea what going on with the update? Below image is from the LG app. I should also add that before I moved the two Outer Range episodes to the desktop I played Halo S01E06 in Emby on the PC without issue.

embyserver.txtffmpeg-directstream-852feace-f2ba-4630-a7e6-069823c01277_1.txtIMG_20220429_115520678_HDR.thumb.jpg.a6640714d51ee0eef46769e880bb05fe.jpg

SamES

I can see that it shows you have multiple versions of the file.  If that is not actually the case, then I suspect you file naming is not correct.

What options are in the version menu under the episode title?  

Check this article and note the details around multi-version episodes.  I think if you ave any dashes '-' with spaces around them 'episode - S01E03.mkv' then this may cause your problem

Emby TV Naming : Emby

Locutus64

This is the TV app. I'm sure of that.  Files are named exactly as below. Like I stated if I go to the library on the PC and select Halo (2022) S01E06 Solace it plays that file not one of the two Outer Range files. I did notice on the LG app and you can see in my screenshot it has "Split Versions Apart". I have never seen that before.

Halo (2022) S01E06 Solace

Outer Range (2022) S01E05 The Soil

Outer Range (2022) S01E06 The Family

SamES

So just to confirm, you have episodes from two different series in the same folder?  I don’t think that’s a supported configuration so weird things are likely to happen. Please make sure your library setup and naming matches the guidelines in the link on my previous post. 

Locutus64
8 minutes ago, SamES said:

So just to confirm, you have episodes from two different series in the same folder?  I don’t think that’s a supported configuration so weird things are likely to happen. Please make sure your library setup and naming matches the guidelines in the link on my previous post. 

the Last Night's library is just a temporary folder for episodes I haven't watched yet. I actually have episodes from several series actually in that library. Like I said I have never seen this behavior before. Again nothing wrong with the naming of my files.

SamES

No, but I'm sure multiple series episodes in the same folder might be confusing the episode parser.  Not sure why you would only see it on the LG client and not the web client as the code is close to identical

Locutus64
10 hours ago, SamES said:

No, but I'm sure multiple series episodes in the same folder might be confusing the episode parser

Hence why I made this statement "I did notice on the LG app and you can see in my screenshot it has "Split Versions Apart". I have never seen that before.". I asked about it cause when Last Night's library was open on the LG it wasn't showing either Outer Range episode, but the library open on the PC under episode view showed them just fine. Also when I clicked on Halo S01E06 in Emby on the PC it played the correct Halo file and not the Outer Range file that the LG did.

@Happy2Play@Luke please have a read through this thread. Thanks

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper
15 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

Last Night's library

What library type is that? 

Locutus64

It's TV shows. My setup is:

Movies (all movies that don't have a sequel loose in the folder)

Movie Series (all movies with their sequels in a dedicated folder for that series)

TV Series (each TV series in it's own folder)

TV Specials (each TV special in it's own folder)

Last Night's (loose TV episodes I haven't watched yet)

Movies To Watch (loose movies I haven't watched yet)

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper

Then I would say you've found an exploit - or a loophole - if it was working (or not, in this particular case) for you with no issues, as AFAIK  this:

/mnt/Television/Last Night's/Halo (2022) S01E05 Spaced Out.mkv

/mnt/Television/Last Night's/Halo (2022) S01E06 Solace.mkv

/mnt/Television/Last Night's/Outer Range (2022) S01E05 The Soil.mkv

/mnt/Television/Last Night's/Outer Range (2022) S01E06 The Family.mk

was never intended to be supported, having episodes from multiple shows inside same folder for a TV show content-type library. 

What I would suggest is you make each series subfolder in your "Last Night's" parent folder and place those episodes within respectively, upon which you should not have re-occurences/mis-plays. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 2

Locutus64

That would be great if one could have Emby sort the folders first that actually have content in them in a particular library so as not to have to sort through at least 100 folders just to find the handful that have a episode or two in them at most. The Last Night's library is aptly named cause at most it will have two nights of shows in it, but typically just the episodes from the night before. They will get watched then filed away.  Still think I'm onto something with Split Versions Apart. I saw somewhere that that can be turned off, and that more than a few just want the feature for combining gone.

Grim I get that with the loose episodes like that all I get on episode view is a image pulled from the file and just the file name under it, that's fine for that library.

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

That would be great if one could have Emby sort the folders first that actually have content in them in a particular library so as not to have to sort through at least 100 folders just to find the handful that have a episode or two in them at most.

Why would you do that in Folders view? You have sort by "Last episode date added" in main library view, so you'll always have recent episode up top?

Locutus64

Why is EVERYONE deliberately over looking what I believe is the actual issue which I'm sure is the combining of episodes unnecessarily? I like my setup cause at a quick glance I can see what still needs to be watched without seeing a ton of folders even if the more recent content is at the top.  Here are screenshots, maybe you'll understand the difference once you look at them. Now out of curiosity I clicked upcoming and it looks good except that it is missing items as you can see.. I tested your suggestion and that way I have to drill down to click the episode instead of just clicking the file to play it as soon as I open Last Night's library.172246318_LastNightsEpisodes.thumb.png.f7396fcebe6f0527036de237e675e210.png2093847556_LastNightsFolders.thumb.png.f88ae0cccfe65cb40eedb90bc34795a1.pngUpcoming.thumb.png.e2fe253c2c62ca75d3190c7f63159a79.pngNow this again looks good. The only thing I'd like to see is the ability to see further back than just yesterday. 

Edited by Locutus64

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

Why is EVERYONE deliberately over looking what I believe is the actual issue which I'm sure is the combining of episodes unnecessarily?

Because you're DELIBERATELY breaking supported structure/parser and not expecting it to have side-effects. IF an episode was mis-identified, as it is just as likely to happen as not in your folder structure - of course it'll be merged with the original episode it thinks it is same episode. 

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

I tested your suggestion and that way I have to drill down to click the episode instead of just clicking the file to play it as soon as I open Last Night's library.

You have Episodes tab which behaves exactly like that, with desired sort method, single click/play. 

Locutus64

Grim I'm not trying to be rude but this has never happened before and I've been using Emby for a long time. I still think it's a matter of clicking that split versions apart and having all episodes in Last Night's show up without issue again. I just want to know if there is a way to disable so I can run a test to see if that is the actual issue. As I said it is only on the LG app that it's doing that, so leads me to believe it is something with it, some minor code glitch. When in the LG app yesterday I was in Last Night's with Episodes selected. Maybe my way isn't what is suggested / supported but it does work for my purposes.

GrimReaper

I understand it was working for you, hence I've said exploit/loophole, as I've seen several others, unrelated - and I'm using one of those still, in respect to Folder access. They work - until they don't. And those are harder to track, as it must be a very specific set of circumstances that led to their breaking. You might wanna pursue this issue further with possibility for it to be solved (or not) - or use supported method and be done with it now. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

Locutus64

OK sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. I just went through the settings in Last Night's on both the PC and LG and looks like suggestions gives me exactly what I've been wanting. It shows the loose episodes and the episodes in two series folders that are in that library without combining any of them. If this is still a loophole I can live with it. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

EDIT:

Looks like I spoke too soon. Yes the suggestions gives me the view I want from that library in both apps, but E05 of Halo was combined with E05 of Outer Range and the same with E06 of the two shows. This time I hit Split Versions Apart and every thing is showing now. So I guess the question is there a way to turn off the combining feature? Thanks again

946122258_LastNightsSuggestions.thumb.png.f3a460bd340946e541091d9c333d2cf1.png

Edited by Locutus64

Happy2Play

Currently ever show requires their own Series folder at a minimum.  

On 2/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, Luke said:

Yea we'd like to be able to eventually accommodate a single folder mish-mash, but we're not quite there yet.

Same comment you got in the other topic.

Locutus64
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Currently ever show requires their own Series folder at a minimum.  

Same comment you got in the other topic.

As I said before you replied I found a solution that works for me(see the last last image I posted). What everyone keeps avoiding to answer is if there is a way to disable episode merging. I found a setting to change the minimum from 2 to 4. That should work as a work-around.

Happy2Play

It is not possible as your example would be Series folder "Last Night's" with episodes that apply to that series so all S01E06 will get multi-versioned as anything before season/episode is irrelevant as we are in a Series folder.  Anything that works is just a fluke.

There is no setting that applies to this the collection items is for collection, meaning say you have two items for the "Alien Collection" it will create the collection, but changing that to 4 will require 4 item before the collection can be made.

Edited by Happy2Play

Locutus64

So I guess for now I just have to hit the split button when it occurs. I really hope you guys take the feed back in the one thread and add a setting to allow the enduser to disable the feature. Seems to be even a few devs that want it gone.

SamES

It's not really that simple.  It may do what you want in your particular case, but it might break a whole bunch of other stuff.

14 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

Grim I'm not trying to be rude but this has never happened before and I've been using Emby for a long time. I

I understand your frustration, but as mentioned, you've been relying on something that works the way you want by accident, not by design.  The consequence is that as new features are added, the loophole you've been relying on may break, which is what has occurred here.

I'm glad you found a way to make it work for you.  I was in the same situation years ago, eventually I decided to adapt my file organisation so that it was consistent with the guidelines and all the problems disappeared.  In the long run I'm sure you will find it to be a better approach if you can adopt the recommended library structure.  When you have that, if you then approach the forum with a question about how you can use the system to achieve your outcome (ie: for example, how can I get a list of unwatched items - filtered for the last 24hrs - grouped by Movies, episodes, etc) then this is more likely to lead to you having supported options that may also be useful to others and aren't at risk of breaking as things evolve.

We're all here to help and improve the product, but it's hard when you're trying to structure your library in a way that's not consistent with the server design.

Locutus64

The frustration comes from the last two posters before this post not simply saying great you found a work around that works for you and leaving it at that, and you guys creating a feature to merge episodes or similar movies without also making sure the enduser has a way to disable it. If it weren't for this feature this thread would of never existed cause it wouldn't of been needed. Beginning to sound like the Sonarr devs here. Use every bit of our automation or don't use our program at all. I can tell you they have had more than their share of push back from the endusers over that attitude. As for the proper library structure AGAIN other that that folder I am using the proper library structure. I do not mean to be rude but I won't repeat myself again cause I'm more than a bit tired of reminding you of that. As for this library I can at times have episodes in it that go back several weeks even though it's named Last Night's, episodes I've put off watching. Case in point I have one folder with in the library that has 4 shows that I haven't finished watching, and yes before you decide to ask again they are correctly organized in that folder. To keep the episodes from showing in the library I added a .ignore file into the parent folder.  All any of you should of done was simply say press the split button. Below is the last post I should have had to make in this thread with one or two post after it from you guys saying no at this time there is no way to disable the merge feature.

• 7 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

• Like 1