Emby often freezes during playback

NewYears1978

NewYears1978

Often times a certain media file will freeze at a specific spot in playback. If I play this file manually over my network in VLC player or some such, it works fine.

It only locks up in Emby...I can't figure out what would cause this. I assume it's something with Transcoding. Is there no way to just direct play? Is there some way to see a log about freezing to help solve this issue. It happens a lot, but not always..but it's always the same spot of files making me think the file is bad - except as said, I can manually play it with a meda player just fine.

Happy2Play
13 hours ago, NewYears1978 said:

I assume it's something with Transcoding. Is there no way to just direct play? Is there some way to see a log about freezing to help solve this issue. It happens a lot, but not always..but it's always the same spot of files making me think the file is bad - except as said, I can manually play it with a meda player just fine.

Would need to see server and ffmpeg log if preset.  The log or server dashboard or Stats for nerds in client playback will/should tell you reason for the playback method if streaming/transcoding.

Happy2Play

You cannot compare a web browser to say VLC as a browser will vary by which one it is as no two browsers are the same.  

image.thumb.png.64e79d18d86a520cdfa63f4f66d19ddb.png

Most browsers will not support ac3.

NewYears1978
7 hours ago, Luke said:

@NewYears1978 has this helped?

Yes I think using the app solves the issue. I couldn't find option for direct play though (or is that the default with the app?)

Edited by NewYears1978

Emby apps will already direct play whenever possible so there is nothing you need to do to enable that.

NewYears1978

Okay cool. I do remember why I stopped using Emby Windows App - it doesn't work right with multiple monitors. I cannot go full screen with reliability and also when going full screen or maximizing window it randomly picks which display it wants to go on.

• 2 years later...
sdennis91
On 3/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, Luke said:

Emby apps will already direct play whenever possible so there is nothing you need to do to enable that.

This is not true. I am having freezing issues with the native android app. It keeps transcoding. I disable the transcode in the server, emby will not play. I enable it and go to the transcoding folder. Found out that it is transcoding. It seems when you updated to the newest ffmpeg something went wrong. You may wanna take a look at it again, no not no bs error logs etc. You compiled the software. Last time I sent in a bug, you forgot to add in an important piece of code. It took me a lot of messages and being mad and sending you reports. Turns out someone else seen your mistake. As of this time you need no reports, you go back to ffmpeg and emby and your see. It is transcoding. I didn't need a million error reports to find that. This is a problem in the release and beta. I am replacing my ffmpeg in your folder to use a version that works. 

5 hours ago, sdennis91 said:

I disable the transcode in the server, emby will not play

We said it will direct play when possible.  In that case, it isn't possible as you proved by disabling the transcoding.

• Agree 1

sdennis91

Then what is causing videos and lice tv to freeze when playing on 2 devices.  Is emby unable to host to 2 devices anymore. In 4.7 it worked.  4.8 it don't.  This freezing all started for me about 2 or 3 weeks ago.  I thought it was the beta so I went back to the release. Oddly once 4.7 goes to 4.8 automatically the freezing occurs.  Is it a reason you add code that works.  Then change it to make it not work.  Just to sit around and wonder why it ain't working and wasting time on trouble shooting.  When it's easier to let what works alone. Don't say you don't as I found this out when my progress bar stopped working and it was your fault for removing the code.  

Happy2Play
On 5/2/2024 at 12:34 AM, sdennis91 said:

This is not true. I am having freezing issues with the native android app. It keeps transcoding. I disable the transcode in the server, emby will not play. I enable it and go to the transcoding folder. Found out that it is transcoding. It seems when you updated to the newest ffmpeg something went wrong. You may wanna take a look at it again, no not no bs error logs etc. You compiled the software. Last time I sent in a bug, you forgot to add in an important piece of code. It took me a lot of messages and being mad and sending you reports. Turns out someone else seen your mistake. As of this time you need no reports, you go back to ffmpeg and emby and your see. It is transcoding. I didn't need a million error reports to find that. This is a problem in the release and beta. I am replacing my ffmpeg in your folder to use a version that works. 

Need specific example with server and ffmpeg logs as every client/app will have its own supported codecs and conditions.  But as mentioned you already proved something can not direct play when you disabled transcoding.  But without required information it is impossible to say or even reproduce.